Just Got My First Mj

good to see that this truck is actually getting used still and isnt a glorified mall crawler, like most of the 97+ "offroad builds"

:needpics:

also, your yolk failed because of the "whoops and G outs" (ive never heard anyone use those terms before) you did prior, the drive shaft end bottomed into the yolk and cracked it, either that or there was play ibetween the two flanges 

***EDIT**** did you have any driveshaft work done? uppon removal of the double cardan centering yolk any excess force with a press could have likely cracked the flanges. and finally fatigued to the point of mass failure

And here is what happend last weekend. This was the first trip out after the new T-case. It broke before I even locked the front hubs in. I'm not sure why it broke. May have been a bad yoke? I hit a set of whoops and a few G outs when I first got to the desert and it was fine. Then I added some nitrogen to the shocks since one of my friends had a tank with him. I went to test them on a mid size set of whoops and it broke right away. The angles are good and it has plenty of slip in the saft so it did not bottom out. I already fixed it. Now I have to go try it again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good to see that this truck is actually getting used still and isnt a glorified mall crawler, like most of the 97+ "offroad builds"

:needpics:

also, your yolk failed because of the "whoops and G outs" (ive never heard anyone use those terms before) you did prior, the drive shaft end bottomed into the yolk and cracked it, either that or there was play ibetween the two flanges 

***EDIT**** did you have any driveshaft work done? uppon removal of the double cardan centering yolk any excess force with a press could have likely cracked the flanges. and finally fatigued to the point of mass failure

And here is what happend last weekend. This was the first trip out after the new T-case. It broke before I even locked the front hubs in. I'm not sure why it broke. May have been a bad yoke? I hit a set of whoops and a few G outs when I first got to the desert and it was fine. Then I added some nitrogen to the shocks since one of my friends had a tank with him. I went to test them on a mid size set of whoops and it broke right away. The angles are good and it has plenty of slip in the saft so it did not bottom out. I already fixed it. Now I have to go try it again.

Thanks. I'm definitely not afraid to use it. I have had the truck out a bunch of times and beat on it way harder. No problems yet. I think the problem was the cv joint cage thingy lol. I replaced it with a spicer instead of that p.o.s. china cv that Tom Woods now uses and it is good to go. I will not be using Tom Woods again that is for sure. 

Been a while since I posted but I'm still having fun.

The elusive hovering Comanche!

13 years later, this photo has been finally been beaten.

thanks for that ryan!

0404_19z%2Bjeep_mj_comanche%2Bfront_pass

Nice! Next time I find a little kicker I hope to do better. It was a smooth landing at this speed but I had flat tow it home and did not want to risk breaking anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...