Gumby Build

Bought a pressure washer and cleaned out the frame. Evicted one old mouse nest and pounds of dirt and rust. Still some in there but I'm happy enough to move onto my next step.

Next plan is to finish grinding down the rust to a relatively smooth surface. Then I'm going to weld some of the joints, suspension mounts and such for reinforcement. Not sure if i want to get the T&M frame stiffeners or not. Finally I'm getting eastwoods rust inhibitor spray with the frame rail nossle to get deep into the frame. Then POR15 everything I can reach. Any tips are appreciated! 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20180304_162725.jpg

20180304_112558.jpg

20180304_103927.jpg

20180304_103949.jpg

Edited by USAFAGumby
Picture link lost

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Finished grinding the frame and bought a welder. Made a quick welding cart for practice and pretty happy with how it turned out! 

Ek9QGFl.jpg

bnh9Kdj.jpg

Didn't bother with the degreaser because I ground away so much crap. Used about a quart or two of metal prep and rinsed it off. The directions aren't super specific about how to apply it but I think the idea is to make sure any loose residue is washed off. Finally POR15 day! Used maybe 1 quart of paint overall for 2 coats so I would not recommend buying the 2 gallons that I bought but I'm super happy with the results. It dries almost paint gun smooth even though I brushed it on which I think is due to the curing process. Hopefully I did good enough prep work and I will have a solid platform for years! 

U9HQgxp.jpg

AQSggbi.jpg

61NAHZj.jpg

That last picture was about the worst of the rust which I also couldn't really reach an angle grinder in there or much wirebrush. The POR15 looks like it adhered well with all the prep I did and I believe two coats is enough. Next step is the bottom of the bed which needs significant rust repair, wish me luck :comanche:

• 3 weeks later...

Very scary but necessary day today. 

O8HHtlK.jpg

TPGczkh.jpg

4ZfZ0hC.jpg

rO86Olc.jpg

ypePzJf.jpg

Plan is to make my own wheel wells and make them smooth so even if there is rubbing it is safe. Also plan on going with the Notch Customs flares as I won't have to paint the bed sides since the flares go all the way up to the body line. POR15 on the bottom of the bed next after new custom wheel wells!! 

• 2 months later...

So long since I have updated but a lot of work has been done. 

First I cut and welded in some new wheel wells. They are aligned the best I could but I suspect the bed sides will be crooked when I finally get it back on the truck. More fender body work to follow for certain. I was trying to save as much of the body paint as possible. Still worried about mounting flares. 

lLIBF7J.jpg 

seKB58M.jpg

Then i sent it off to be sand blasted. They sprayed one line onto the paint on the side of the bed, but otherwise I am very happy with the results.

19rttRc.jpg

Found some more pin holes that I welded closed. The metal may be a little thin but it isn't a critical spot on the bed so I think it is fine 

ijYmOCD.jpg

Finally the big day! First metal prep then 2 coats of POR15 on every surface I could get a brush on. I also prepped the cab side of the bed and POR15 that just like the back of the cab to get rid of all the previous red on the truck. I even got down in the tail light holes. 

rIhQCpP.jpg

yHvk1QA.jpg

After that was done I used Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating with the 360deg wand to get into the frame rails of both the truck and the bed as well as under the wheel wells. I used 4 bottles total so several coats. I'm pretty sure rust will no longer be a problem for me! 

vKbD9O7.jpg

In a few days it will go back onto the frame with all new hardware! Hopefully it looks good and all goes well. Next step is springs and rear axle! 

11 hours ago, UCMav said:

Sorry if it's already been asked, but what color did you go with?

I'm trying to keep the blue paint you see in the pictures, It's nothing specific just a blue that MAACO had at the time. If it gets too damaged during this rebuild I may repaint it but for now it is fine. 

Bed back on today! Body lined up really well and the wheel wells didn't have any major warping which I am very happy about. I am a bit worried about the pushpins I used to hold the shims to the frame. The bed is resting on them instead of the shims so they may shift with time. I'll just keep tightening down I guess. 

nP03kWA.jpg

GpLnGlc.jpg

Very excited with how the rear is coming along. Starting to look like a truck again!! 

• 3 months later...

Finally installed the new comanche diesel gas tank. I used the diesel tank because it does not have baffles inside which provides clearance for the use of a stock intank XJ fuel pump. Next waiting on funds for new springs! If you want to buy the old tank or fuel sender unit off me let me know, the tank did not leak and the unit was working fine last spring when I pulled them. 

tJdHtdi.jpg

bkk4fMN.jpg

• 4 months later...

Back from my first deployment and have a ton of parts waiting for me. I got HellCreek metric ton rear leafs and new JKS 1" lift rear shackles installed today. The leafs are super beefy and absolutely would recommend HellCreek. They also have Comanche 4.5" lift springs for a SUA.

JKS sent me one wrong bushing so I'm waiting on that, also the sleeves are probably exactly 9/16 so I had to use some force. The shackles flex toward the rear when I compress the spring they just look backwards in the picture cause they are hanging.

Next stop building a beefy Ford 8.8! ebb8fa1b03fc9ddd60bb5d11f1239eba.jpga9d43842d3c5a9cba77a916b96ac7b89.jpg

Disassembled, cleaned, pressure washed and cut off the tabs and perches from the axle. Got around to mounting it up under the truck and tacking the perches and shock tabs on. I am pretty happy with angle. I got it straight to where the double cardon CV should be after the SYE is installed, about 1 to 2 degrees low for axle wrap.

I centered the axle down to 5/100 of an inch from wheel base measurements. The pinion is definitely offset from the output shaft of the transfer case because it is a Ford 8.8, but from what I have read that 9/16 offset shouldn't cause binding or vibrations.

Gonna have a professional come finish the welds, cause I don't trust my Hobart 150 to penetrate 1/4". Then reassembly with the Yukon axles, mount brake lines, paint and install! b2bbb0a8d00185a17e7d62ac671c3d62.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Under the truck!! It's about 8in of lift right now and I was shooting for 6in so I'm going to take one leaf out from the HellCreek metric tons. Those are 31in tires right now.

Next is run the brake lines and weld on their mount tabs, pull it out, and paint it! The Yukon 8.8 C clip eliminator installed great too.989a52c7f6c69d5211e1b1e6b27e1f58.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been 1yr and 7months since the truck went into the garage and it has officially met the halfway mark!

POR15 the whole set up then duplicolor bedlined a top coat on. Solid rear cover installed and truck is officially turned around and back in the garage to start on the front half!! 7562c46fd1fc972e4276b836b00f3bb1.jpgf1ef98385b567cb960fdf4932a533b92.jpg0a2b92424ebbd5adb81b3a7d0a93a59d.jpg817f6abfd3c9fd13a3a50ea50619a159.jpg

I'm also taking this opportunity to start my new modification and maintenance log to this thread. Everything done in the rebuild will be documented and edited back onto this thread for my records.

Frame flapwheeled and POR15
Eastwood interior frame coating
Various seams welded
Wheel wells cut and new metal welded in
Bed sandblasted and POR15 with internal coat
New bed mounting hardware and shims
18gal Comanche diesel gas tank
XJ fuel pump
JKS 1in lift rear XJ shackles
Grade 8 spring hardware
Hellcreek Metric Tone rear springs with 1 leaf removed
Crager 5x5.5 steel wheels/caps

ECGS SOA conversion perches, ubolts
Rustys double shear shock mounts
Yukon 8.8 c-clip eliminator 31spline kit
ECGS calipers, rotors, pads, soft lines, and backing plates with ebrake hardware.
Solid 8.8 diff cover

Spadano rockers/tube steps
C2C floor pans
Inner frame/rockers POR15 and coating
T&M Full frame stiffeners
D&C Interior roll cage
Eastwood weld seam sealer

95 Dana 30 HP Non-CAD

Clayton 8in ProSeries 3Link long arm lift kit
Clayton 3 link truss
Clayton high steer sway bar brackets
Clayton LCA skid mounts
Arctec C gussets
Arctec trackbar bracket
Rusty's coil/shock brackets
Clayton poly coil buckets
Solid diff cover

Rare Parts pre-load HD ball joints

Yukon locking hub 30 spline kit

Teraflex high steer pass knuckle 

Mopar OEM driver knuckle 

Edited by USAFAGumby
Updating parts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It's been awhile since I have updated but I have moved to New Mexico. Jeep is currently living at the auto hobby shop on Cannon AFB where I can work on it.

Finally got around to finishing cutting out the old floors today. Next step will be finish grinding and prepping the floors to be welded in, plus POR15 the interior frame rails.

You can see the drivers side frame rail has some serious rust and 2 holes that will need to be fixed. Passenger side is much better
c415501dae915bf6b8f269f4014add94.jpg66bd6a54497224eb0c5b91c7f56a5c05.jpged6b4239316a240e19133514cae1f300.jpgc02a8d233d6bbedb54ee869e54b0efd1.jpg213e6fad9d6022daf98a7458891fcbca.jpg

• 3 months later...

Got the old rotted rockers cut out today. Cutting the cab corners was something I didn't want to do be glad I did cause they were rusting out anyway. Spadano Enterprises rockers and rock slider combo is the upgrade I went with. Super beefy and integrate well with the body lines and cab.

Also junkyard score, grabbed a HP Non-CAD Dana 30 out of a 95 Cherokee which will be my built front axle in the future.

Next weekend more rocker and floor clean up. T&M frame stiffeners on the way!ce1a492590c6c81860d480c27d1a2d74.jpg357cf815e31d71442b180b5f28c37e0b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 4:13 PM, USAFAGumby said:

c02a8d233d6bbedb54ee869e54b0efd1.jpg

I think you dropped some of your structural integrity on the pavement there.  :eek:  

I'm also ecstatic to see someone taking the time to rebuild a truck.  I keep telling people, it's just steel.  Keep adding more until you're happy with it. :D 

• 1 month later...

Clayton 3 link long arm cross member installed! Bolted in place (except for one bolt that broke on removal - pictured) then stick welded on. Super happy with the welds and sturdiness of it all. Got the first part of the rockers from the previous post welded in too.

Next up is prep and paint the inner frame rails and rockers, then finish adding rockers and floors! 80b2bbd993d1cee9524256b23fd4f195.jpgfcd4288145cb2c0e3024cdcf3c9ccb84.jpg