Gumby Build

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Old wheels back on. Bumper comes in on Tuesday. Starter finally gave up so new duralast was installed. Found a pair of pliers wedged between the wheel well and air box. Maaco had to have left them there as they are not mine. The paint also has several specs/bumps under it where dust must have fallen onto the body while painting. Then, maaco put the badges on at the wrong height, while the 4.0 badge was put on the lower right of the tailgate nowhere near where it should have gone. Won't be going back there again, and do not recommend  :doh:

First time waxing the paint, I think it looks pretty good!

FqwzSnf.jpg

Love the bumper! It came with the tow plates but I had to buy the bolts. Since my Jeep had hit a parking pole at some point in its life (previous owner) there was frame and cross member damage so the plates didn't really fit. Couldn't get the steering box bolted back up just right so I'm gonna send it to a shop to fix. 

Update: Steering box was replaced with NAPA one, drives stiffer now and possibly solved the horrible death wobble I have always had on the white wheels so win win! Bumper still didn't quite match up, inner plates may be welded on later

9MBXkUP.jpg

• 1 month later...

That shop is honestly the coolest thing ever. You rent the stall by the hour and full access to all the tools and equipment. They even have a hydraulic transmission cradle which I plan on using later! Also, Thanks!!! I love the look of that bumper. It seems pretty durable too, just needs to be tested out  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Installed with new 231 input gear, pilot bushing, trans mount and Rusty's cross member. Problems found since swap,

Will shift into 4th but pops out and grinds as soon as clutch is let out

Bucks bad in any gear if let of the accelerator quickly 

Won't shift into 3rd unless going from 2nd 

Reverse whines very loudly

Idles very low (100-200). Not sure if trans problem or something else though 

Gonna drop it of at a trans shop Monday and hopefully they can re-rebuild it before I have to drive back to CSprings. Either way I rebuilt and installed my own transmission and it got me 1400miles back home without catastrophic failure! Kinda proud of that, just wish I did it right with out these problems ...... 

• 2 weeks later...

It's back!!! :rock on:  Works great, I had the syncro hub for 3/4 flipped around. The reverse still wines but other than that the AX15 is a really solid transmission and the bucking has sorta stopped. I freakin love this truck! 

Idle problem is still persistent at around 200 and will stall when let off the gas at speed. Changed the oil today to 10W40 full synthetic and new Champion spark plugs. Old plugs looked like it was running rich and lots of white smoke out of exhaust at idle. Ordered a new oxygen sensor and will clean out the IAC tomorrow as Cruiser recommended.