The Blue and Black Manche

Okay going to finish this bad water deal out today by running some AFT through the System two quarts sounds like it will do the trick. Happy to say the Comanche is all back to normal ticking noise seemed to go away today so hopefully everything is fine. Boy I was really nervous. No more water unless I get a snorkel and some lift.

Plans when on as normal yesterday. I had some time to final get the rear bumper on. I also stole the licence plate idea that member MereAnatomy had. The link where he bought his is:

http://www.amazon.co...nse plate light it worked great it's a little bright for my liking but I won't get pulled over. He says has held up well so I am hoping my holds up just as well too.  The bumper was a JCR offroading bumper and can be found the in vender section of these forums. Though I love it now that it is on the truck it honestly was a lot of work. Building it with welds just because of bends are soo big, powder coating it and then putting it on the truck. I think for a front bumper I am going to buy one all ready put together and powder coated. This project stretched me quite a bit. As always pictures.

This is the old bumper you can see on the left before I got the Jeep she got hit by something big. Bent it up pretty good. Thank goodness it didn't mess the frame up. When I was putting the new one on the frame was a tad whacked but nothing compared to this.

New Bumper finally on for the first time. Old one off. 

D rings need to be painted.

Close up shot of the JCR's bumper. Thanks for a great product! Like I said I found it here under the vendor section. 

Last problem I had was I didn't know what to do about the license plate. I just drilled to small holes and like I meantioned above got the same kit as the other member. IT'S REALLY BRIGHT. Hopefully it last was pretty cheap so we will see.

Overall cost for this bumper because I didn't weld or powdercoat it was about 500  to 550 so if you don't know how to weld you are looking at a steep cost for this bumper now that it's complete I love it though as a great look on the truck.   

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, told myself I wasn't going to touch the interior till later BUT I just couldn't stand to have just static on the radio. So I went out and replaced the radio with a nice upgrade. While I was at it, I changed the back speakers as well. I left the door speakers because I cut that wire when I made the doors removable. Maybe some day I will add kickers so the door speakers work again but that is a project for another day. Got to say the new radio with usb port to charge my phone is pretty nice!!!  :brows:

Out with the old.... tapedeck. Lol. In with the new!!! CD and USB!!! With some great speakers for some good sound. 

Really? That is interesting. Natural, I was looking at the next project of maybe being a snorkel. BUT there is some deal I don't understand about it being renix intake. I don't know if the older or the newer jeeps need to be modified but it looks like a lot of work to modify it for a snorkel. Got to say bushwackers and the snorkel look pretty cool.  

Okay, had to go back and crush that crossing. It was just to pathetic not too! Made it just fine this time. I made sure I avoided the massive hole.

First of all ALWAYS read the signs... even the small print.  :roll:

Beware of Hole! 

The crossing.

And finally a stock flex test! Could use a few upgrades I think.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if the mj and xj would accept this but I know a lot of tj,yj,jk guys that instead of a external snorkel they relocate the air intake to the cowl under the windshield

Spectre and Thor both make a cowl intake system that will fit. And for the Renix guys, Spectre makes a TB adapter plate that allows you to bolt an HO style air intake system to the Renix TB.

So as I was PCSing from GA to NY. I went home to MN. Jeep was loaded down with all my goods. In Chicago on the interstate I heard a loud bang and shut everything off. Pictures.

This is what I found.

Looks like the engine through a rod into the side of the engine..... At this point I am not sure where to go with this. 

:(

I go back on Sunday to go and pick it up to get it the rest of the way to MN. 

I have three options at this point.

1. Buy another 2.5 liter and have someone put it in. (would I just need the core? Or the whole engine?) $300 to $1000

2. Buy a donor XJ and throw in a 4.0 6 liter $1000 to $3000

3. Buy a new chevy small block v-8 $6000

4. sell it maybe get $1500 for it.

No idea what to do at this point. I don't have the mechanical skills to put in my own engine. So I would have to pay someone to do it. My options are looking pretty grim. If anyone has any ideas love to hear them.

Well I ended the last post with the 2.5 punching a rod through the side of the engine. It was pretty bad. I went back two days later and towed it the rest of the way home with a tow dolly. The rest of the way things went fine. Got it home and had some big choices to make. I searched the web and found a nice little 2.5 liter down in Onamia, MN. I went down there to have a look. The Jeep comanche they had there was a 4 speed 2.5 liter 1986 130 k on it that was missing a computer and been sitting for a while. The engine looked good so I grabbed it. This engine had a v-belt and mine had a serpentine belt so I also had to take the front components of the engine. The water pump on this one was backwards as well had to get a new water pump. I forgot to take pictures of a lot of the process. :/ Two days later my jeep was back on the road no sweat! Questions I have thought of is shouldn't I change the oil every 500 miles for the first 3000 with a new used engine? The few pictures I took.

This is the new 2.5 liter in and installed. I can't believe I forgot to take pictures....

I broke the throttle cable and so I had to use zip ties to get it working. Any Ideas where I could get another one? :D

So far it is running really well. The reason I went with a 2.5 instead of a 4.0 6 cylinder or v8 is I didn't have the time or cash here in MN to complete a more complicated swap. For 600 bucks I am pretty happy to have my Jeep back on the road. Any tips I should know for having a new used engine?

After that was complete. I finally got the tube doors I have been waiting and waiting for. They fit pretty good and probably not a good place to use them is here in cold MN but it was just too tempting. I got a lot of looks driving it around town here Mid-november in MN. They would of be perfect for GA if I was still there. Pictures! 

I wish I had a garage this nice! Here it is next to my folks 2013 grand cherokee. Slowly convincing them to become Jeep owners. :laughin:

So there is an update. Bought the bushwackers flares and a nates 4x4 bumper, but I probably won't get to put them on before I leave for NY. I think I am going to leave the Jeep in MN no need to drag it across the USA and get it full of salt in these northern states. I am also trying to find a cheap way to get the truck to be a 4x4 before I leave. 

looks good. I know hind sight is 20/20 but you could have taken the bumpers, fender flares ,door handles and mirrors off before you had it painted. Live and learn, that color with the black trip looks awesome.

Yah I wish I would of taken the doors mirrors off. Awe well I don't see it as to big of a deal because I will switch the 97 up eventually. As to the bumpers and flares they are being replaced with bushwackers that are black and a bumper that is black. So no big deal.  

Axle swap

You read my mind! How did you know that I picked up a dana 44. Wasn't going to post these just yet but why not. 

Picked up a Dana 44 from a CC member in Grand Rapids, MN. 

It was in pretty rough shape so and needed a little love. 

Sandblasted 

Primed and painted. 

Needs new bearings, seals, and drums for sure. Things extra I would like to get before I put under the truck is a differential cover, disc brakes, and maybe some more re-enforcement. For a custom look. Anyone know if I can use the same brake lines from my dana 35 for this dana 44 or would I have to get new ones? Can I use the same parking cable as well or no? This is a side project. Too be continued.... Have the finish the exterior before I start with underneath and interior.  

Saw a few CC members trucks while I was in MN. 

Guess who's truck! 

One final shot of mine out on the lake. I figure I'm in MN so land of 10000 lakes. Did a little wheeling on the beach!  :rotf:

• 2 weeks later...

Well got sick of the flares. It was just too much blue. Out with the old in with the new. 

I think they look okay. Really need a lift and some bigger tires to complete this rig. Also I had to take the emblems off and there was not enough space to put them back. What did you guys do to get the emblems to fit with the bushwacker flares? Or should I just move the emblems up a bit?

I'd either ditch them or move them over to the door at the bottom belt line similar to how the later model Cherokees were. Did you keep the original flares?

Hmm interesting. Do you have a decent pic of what that would look like? I feel like they just look sorta out of place. To much fender. Bigger wheels would probably help but that 2.5 can't keep up if I put anything bigger than 32'' on her. I did keep the original as I know some are after the rear flares. They are up for grabs.