The Blue and Black Manche

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to go with the other Comanche axle. 90 degrees and with a blowtorch is no joke it was hot. Finally got it out and cleaned it up. debating if I should paint it or not. If I did it would be rhino lined with blue for the differential cover. Prime with sandable primer. I think this is a dana 35 but not sure maybe it's a dana 44.... Anyways tomorrow is paint maybe and pulling the old one out of mine and sticking this one in. Here are a few pics of today.

First getting it out. Of the old comanche. 

Here she is all pulled out. 

Here it is after I cleaned it up and pulled the differential cover cleaned and resealed. Probably paint tomorrow. I think I might of put a little to much sealant by awe well.  

before you install that rear axle be sure you got a high enough dif ratio, if that axle came from a 4.0l mj then the ratio will be too low to efficiently run your 2.5l.  :smart:

guess that would have been more helpful before hand.  :doh:

Got the old axle out today. I been told it's like a 2 hour job. I don't know much so took me all day. It's out! 

Decided to swap drive shafts while I was at it. Why not. 

Painted new axle got it under the truck now I just need to bolt it up.

When I took the drive shaft out all my oil ran out is that suppose to happen? Or do I have a bad seal? Also once this is installed how to I make sure the brakes are working? 

before you install that rear axle be sure you got a high enough dif ratio, if that axle came from a 4.0l mj then the ratio will be too low to efficiently run your 2.5l.  :smart:

guess that would have been more helpful before hand.  :doh:

O no, the axle did come out of a 4.0l mj. How to I make sure I have a high enough Dif ratio? If it is to low for my little 2.5 what do I do now. : /

Axle is the same old one was a dana 35 and this new one is a dana 35 so the dif ratio should be the same right? 

Not so much. Ratios: 2.5/5spd = 4.10, 2.5/4spd = 3.55, 4.0/auto = 3.55, 4.0/5spd = 3.07... typically anyhow.

Pulled the cover off when I cleaned it out seemed the same at least I didn't notice a difference.  :???:  I guess I know for sure when I bolt it back on and start driving it. What problems will I have if it's not the right gear ratio? : / If things work out. I would count myself as extremely lucky. Just sorta picked this axle out without really knowing if it was good or not. Pulled it from a comanche so thought that was good enough. Maybe should of done a little more research before. Haha thought I was getting better at knowing my way around with trucks... not so much. Lol.  

if this information is correct you may have gotten lucky!

Mine is a 4 speed 2.5 and I pulled it out of an auto.

2.5/4spd = 3.55   4.0/auto = 3.55

Same ratio. Right? If I am going by your numbers.  

Got lucky I guess been driving it on the freeway for the past two hours. Nothing has happened speeds about 55 to 60 ish. Luck was on my side must of been the same gear ratio. Thank you for letting me know. :banana:

Anyway holy smokes! For a guy that doesn't work on cars and trucks that was a HUGE project for me. Took me 2 ish days to complete it. Bled the brakes today. Not so easy when you don't know how.  Almost took the comanche through a fence. :doh: No pressure. After a lot of experimenting and not getting any pressure I youtubed it. Got a much better idea after that. Forgot to tighten where you bleed the brakes from. New drive shaft didn't work to short.  

Here is the new rear end in and roadworthy.

Nice pic of my daily driver in the background.

Anyways after such a big project. I won't be doing much for a while. I am comanched out after this project. Lol I have learned when you try and do one project on a comanche it turns into ten because everything is so old... Lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

New windshield went in today. Replaced the back plexiglass with some new stuff. Bought glass but only after I realized I would have to replace the whole back window if I wanted to replace the flex slider. So I just decided to go with new plexiglass. Looks much better and all the gum oooz stuff is gone from the front windshield and it doesn't leak any more.

You can see the black ooz stuff all around. Cleaned it and replaced.

New windshield.

Back slider plexiglass replaced with a new one. Wanted glass but would lead to a huge headache of having to cut into the metal frame around to allow enough room for the glass slider. Just stayed with plexiglass.  

Next up tackling the wiring under the steering column so I get get my blinkers and brake lights working.  

Also if any of you have any advice about paint for the truck. I would be all ears. Found a dude that would paint the whole truck for 500. Thought that was a pretty good deal one solid color. Thoughts? It would be a light blue I think if I did go this route. 

that seems really cheap. I'm assuming hes just going to spray it and u would have to do all the prep work, which is a huge deal for a good paint job. to me the reason to have someone paint it is to avoid the prep work so id rather spend the money to get the whole job done rather than just the spray. assuming that for the price he is just spraying of course.

So it was time to fix those turn signals and brake lights.... I hate electronics.

The turn signals wasn't to bad just had to replace the plastic piece in the steering column. Though hazards still don't work.

This is the plastic piece I had to replace no idea what it is called.

Brakes were a little more tricky. It was grounded in the driver side tail light so I split the brake wire under the dash and tried to ground it there as well and guess what that did the trick! Brake lights started working.

Finally got orders to PCS to Fort Drum so had to get rid of the hardtop and fast so I could load it up with boxes for the move. Lucky Shelbyluvv from this site was in the area and grabbed it from me. I have to say the comanche looks way better without the hard top. Trucks in my opinion shouldn't have hard tops...

After fixing both of those I guess the thing is finally road legal. Tires are still rotted bad. Need to find some cheap used somewhere. Tires and paint next...  

New used 31 inch tires. Not really what I wanted but needed to get some new one's in a hurry the old one's were very rotted out. These new one's should last until I upgrade to 33 inch with new rims. Plus a set of 4 for 150 bucks wasn't to bad. 

And so I decided to go with a paint job. Researched a few options and went with the cheapest. Which was pretty much non show quality paint everything. Lol. For 400 bucks I was pretty happy with what I got. Here she is very blue. Lol. Hopefully the paint last for a long time. Maybe do the bedliner for the back next.

I suppose if I do the 97 + conversion down the road this could be a problem to try and find the same paint but I will hit that road block when it comes. She looks pretty good I think anyways.  

Bumpers, fenders, bedliner and a few other parts with be replaced eventually. They will be black. Can't do everything at once. I said this is a slow build thread. Lol. :P I thought I saw stickers or somthing like that for the tailgate JEEP letters. Can anyone direct me to that link I can't seem find it.