The Blue and Black Manche

So I bought a 1988 Pioneer Comanche on Valentines this year. ( a gift to me!) My very first car in high school was a Comanche that I bought for a dollar. It ran for 3 months and died and I didn't have the money to fix it. Had to sell. Now wanting nothing more in the world then wanting a Jeep Pickup which o by the way were only made before I was born. Finally found this one at an abandoned vehicle auction at Fort Benning, GA bought it for $900. It was sold as is. After I bought it I finally got to look it over. It has some major electrical issues from what I can tell. I am not so good with cars bought this jeep to get better at working on them. From what I can tell I can't get any power to the engine. I think it has somthing to do with having a bad fuse box aka (I think the clutch fluid leaked into the fuse box) also I don't think the electrical core is any good. So I am going to start by replacing those items.

Here are some pictures of the Jeep when I first bought it. Don't mind the police officer verifying to make sure it's not stolen. lol

From what I can tell, it has a lot of work that it needs, a lot of love anyways. I have not fully decided if I am going to go all in with this Jeep. Don't be disappointed if I give it up I might end up just junking it. Going to try my best expect very slow progress as I don't know, well anything about trucks and am in the military so don't have a lot of extra time to work on it. I plan on using this site as a guide as I try and work on it.

Goals for this project:

1. Get it licensed and get a title for the vehicle.

2. Get it running.

3. Convert from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive. 

4. Lift kit using Comanche Club guide. 

http://www.nonamestudios.com/experimentalinsanity.com/vehicle/resources/mj-lift.html

5. new rims and tires hoping for 33''. 

6. Body minor rust gone repaint to baby blue. 

7. custom front and rear bumper. 

8. custom bumper sticker saying "The few, the proud, the only, JEEP PICK-UP".

9. remove the cover for the bed. 

10. make/ have a roll bars for the bed made color black.

11. winch if I can find a good cheap one.

12. replace back window. 

13. windows tinted.

14. Headliner for interior.

15. New seat. 

16. fix clutch issues.

17. Find a good 97+ XJ donor vehicle to use or another wrecked MJ.   

These are all the known problems/things I would like to do. I estimate around $4000 to $5500 for the project. Like I said very slow progress and any additional problems will delay my list/might just make me drop it all together. Willing to try my best. If you guys have any advice along the way please let me know. I have found a lot of stuff on this site very helpful already.

I hope to give her the love she needs to get back out on the road and be a proud, mean looking truck that others envy!

Since February I have gotten it licensed and still working on a title. Electrical issues went beyond my skills, currently in the shop the last 2 weeks trying to figure out core/ fuse box issues to get power to the engine. Trying to get her to come to life!     

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good looking start, looks pretty clean. But I sure don't envy you, I will not touch electrical. What's wrong with the rear window?

Would love to have that bed cover, but then I'd have to give up my factory roll bar.

And uh, not sure how you could have passed on that mighty fine black and metallic pink suburban(?) in front of the MJ.  :brows:

Rear window is glass is cracking. Like to get roll bars but was thinking of making my own because it be cheaper what do the factory one's look like/ is there a place to buy them still?

lol to that suburban didn't even notice it till you mentioned it.

There isn't a place to buy anything MJ in the aftermarket business. Anything for the front part of an XJ will probably bolt right up, but the back half (b-pillar and back) doesn't exist. There are maybe 1 or 2 rear bumpers meant for the MJ out there, JCR is the only company I can think of that still sells one, but nothing else really. Roll bars from other small trucks might work, just depends on dimensions and how they mount. If you want to see factory ones, check the first two links in my signature.

Most companies that maybe carried something for the MJ back in the day, don't even acknowledge their existence anymore it seems. If you ever run across an MJ in a junkyard, general advice is to grab anything MJ specific even if you don't need it. Someone else around here will.

That's why I comment on that bed cover. Was always looking for a locking solid one but gave up since I could never find one with close enough dimensions. If you run across a model number or anything on it down the road, let me know.

Finally got a title for my truck today! License plates are on the way! Boy was that a pain to get a title for an abandon vehicle that didn't have one.

Finally it is legally roadworthy whenever I get it fixed!

Question the shop I have it at currently has had the Jeep for over a month and they don't seem to be making much progress on it. Should I find a new shop I feel like that is a really long time with no progress made? Also is there any places you guys could suggest for restoring a vehicle in the Columbus/Fort Benning area or Atlanta, GA area. Really want to find a good shop that knows what they're doing that will actually not take so long to make progress. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Told them it was a project truck. I use crown vicy as a daily driver. Never have had a project truck before so don't really know how long things should take. I call about once a week to every other week to ask for updates and they always tell me they are still looking for parts since it's so old. Guess that's normal?  

It depends on what "parts" they are looking for....

Auto parts are easily found online for cheap and at your local auto parts store....

As for body interior/exterior they are hard to come by but on this forum there's always guys willing to sell you parts for your need....

If it's auto parts then it's time to take the truck away from them and try to do it yourself these trucks are not hard to fix and you can learn yourself for future reference...

Took your advice and moved the truck to a new mechanic that was recommended to me by another comanche owner. Once the shop solves the electrical issue. I hope to be good to go to start on the interior. Have to wait and see what this guy finds out. Hopefully it doesn't take him a month to diagnose it like that last guy and the adventure continues...   

Looks like a good starting point for a project.  They never end and eventually eat your soul (and your pocket book).
I too have a Vic for a daily driver, at least until I can make my Comanche actually work for a given length of time. It makes most people look at me funny, because my Crown Vic is an 05 with a whopping 55,000 on the clock (I bought it with 14,000).  They wonder why I would give it up for something far better as a daily driver.  (Pic of it) 

Looks like a good starting point for a project.  They never end and eventually eat your soul (and your pocket book).

I too have a Vic for a daily driver, at least until I can make my Comanche actually work for a given length of time. It makes most people look at me funny, because my Crown Vic is an 05 with a whopping 55,000 on the clock (I bought it with 14,000).  They wonder why I would give it up for something far better as a daily driver.  (Pic of it) 

Wow looks really good! With that low of miles it will last you forever. Little off topic, but yes I am a huge fan of ford vicys as well. I have had mine for over 9 years now and no issues. I'll post a few pics of mine. Just got the window tint in this weekend while waiting on the Truck to get back into my hands. I don't think I will do window tint again. It's a lot of hard work and every time I got a bubble I wanted to scream. lol

pic of of the vic

When with 35% tint. Should of gone more, don't think it was enough, but not going back now.  

• 2 months later...

Finally she is alive! Got her running. She sounds good! Here were some of the things that were replace to get her fixed. 

1. The fuel pump and sender unit.

2. Strainer 

3. The fuel tank, new one 18 gallon 

4. Ignition coil 

5. Ignition module

6. Crank sensor 

7. New fan belt 

8. New battery 

9. Fuel filter 

10. Flushed all fluids and serviced.

Pretty slow progress but I said it would be. I take it in monday to check out the floor boards like this site suggested. Other than that rear view mirror needs to get put up when I tried I couldn't get the dumb thing to stick up there. I also can't seem to get my brake lights, turn signals and reverse lights to work. I do have power to them. I changed out all the fuses with no luck. Those are the small projects for the week.

The next big project it trying to convert her to 4wheel drive in which case I will probably have to find a donor vehicle. Since I don't know a lot. What is all needed to get it to 4 wheel drive? Transfer case and transmission? Like I said, not knowing a lot I also learned that she has a 2.5 under the hood which I wish it had a 4.0 or a 4.7 liter engine. I was looking at swapping but from some of the threads on this site that seems like a monster of a project way above my skill level. So there is an update. If any of you jeepers are in the GA area I would love to drive to you to give me advice or suggestions on how to accomplish some of these things. O yes, I named her Jill. :P

I head into Ranger School for after next week for the Army so no progress will be made for a while. After I am out, I hope to have some cash built up to find a very nice donor vehicle.     

Great start and great plate!

Read around here and you'll see plenty of inspiring builds that started with some pretty sad 'Manches... mine included.

Stoked to see where this one goes!

:thumbsup:

edit- and thinking of bad titles-- try getting a parts truck off a guy who 'got it off a guy' with no title and a questionable past. Hello title bond!

Pulled the light assembly out and the ground wire was connected just fine on the left side. (drivers side) So not sure where to go next on that. Neohic I am stationed at Fort Benning, GA. Jeep was abandoned on post. I don't think it's been anywhere north of GA. I lived in MN for my whole life and am still a resident of the state. Live just north of you. Before military life. 

About the cover, I am pretty sure it was custom made. I couldn't find any model number. All I could find was that it was made by a company named century. I'll post a few pics of it. 

That is all I know about it. I think if you wanted one you would have to have them make one. Or you could buy mine. I don't want it. I really want to trade for some roll bars. 

I really want some roll bars instead of that cover. Thing is I don't really like the factory roll bars and can't seem to find any. So it was time to seek some different options... 

Found a buddy with a comanche who has put a lot of time into his. He made custom roll bars for his. So I will probably copy his idea. They look so good. Here are a few pics of his roll bars that I would like to make for mine and a few other pics of his comanche. Truly a piece of art. Thank you so much for letting me snap the photo's. :) I guess looking through he has a build thread on here under 

Project Frankienstien

Mine right next to his.

his undercarriage.

His engine only got like 4000 miles on it 0.0 it's a fast comanche! V8! 

rollbars 

Had another shop look at the wheels, brakes, axles and what they found wasn’t good…

Quote:

"found right rear wheel bearing and seal very bad, brake system saturated with gear lube, both brake drums out of spec's adjusters siezed, shoes cracked. Front rotors very warped, front wheel bearings need serviced should be replaced. Electric needs rewire whole system."

Soooo…. I decided to go axle shopping. Found plenty of axles one bad thing I have no clue what I am looking for what are good axles and what are bad axles… So pretty much just wasted my time. If I could get some help from you guys that be great. I took a few pics. I was thinking maybe swapping out mine with a K5 blazer or an old Silverado. Will that even work? Here are a few pics.

Only K5 Blazer I could find though these look really rusted and don't think they will work. Thoughts? 

Top three are from the K5 blazer. 

Some old chevy pickup.

Honest, as someone that doesn't know anything. This gets overwhelming so fast!

I don't have a clue how to pick axles out for my jeep. Or if they are any good or not. Love to hear thoughts on the above two I pick those out as being the best.

Feeling pretty down. I tried one last Junk yard and low and behold I found somthing...

Another Comanche! Luck is on my side.  :banana:

I was so excited that I forgot to check the axles... Should I just swap mine out with this one? It probably be the easiest wouldn't it? When I looked under the hood it had a really weird 4.0 engine two cooling fans never seen that before is that normal? Anyways going back tomorrow to get more pic and try and get the axles from it. How do I know what Data 44 axles look like and how do I know if the axles are any good? And also what is a good price to pay for both axles from a junk yard. Need some wisdom here from the Comanche experts. Thank you so much for helping with advice. :)