03 Cummins Tow/plow

I should be keeping this around for awhile. I was having Cummins withdrawals. I survived about a month since I traded my last one in.

This one popped up on a local dealer lot. I owned a reg cab CTD before and said I'd never have another but I really like the look. Gonna have to get a tool box maybe. Specially if I'm going to be using it as a plow truck the reg cab has it advantages.

The truck is a early build 2003. That means it's got a 47re auto, not the 48re like the rest of the 3rd gen trucks. But it's a common rail 5.9 which I have never owned. I have had 3 different 6.7s and one 2nd gen vp44 truck. It's got 194k but runs as drives like 50k.

Here's when I first got it home.

I spent today removing the flares and replacing the headlights. The fender flare installer removed the cummins emblem from the fender but left the adhesive behind. Took a good hour to get that crap off. Removing the flares showed me the typical fender rust on the box that every 10 year old truck has up here.. I do plan to have it repaired. Still undecided if I'm going to totally debadge the truck. Keeping the cummins emblem tho.

After a bath. Lots of dirt under the fender flares. Oh and new headlights. Not sure if I like them or not. They are LED projector type. Got a deal on them. But I kept the stock ones just in case.

Coming up...

-Body rust repair

-New BOSS 7'6" straight blade. Previous owner just installed a plow/undercarriage before he traded it. It's only plowed a few times. But he kept the plow and wiring.

- Stainless 5" exhaust/CAI

-tow mirrors

-Bigger tires. 35s probably on stock wheels.

-leveling kit with new longer control arms maybe. (Need longer arms for 35s to clear with a leveling kit)

-aftermarket stereo

-built trans

-no added power, at least not for awhile

But I really need to work on my MJ so the big stuff is gonna have to wait. Huh well I guess most of it is big stuff.....ahh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those are your flares on there. I just got them Friday. They are painted with Krylon fusion. I will repaint them in a week or two after the Krylon sets up and I can get the duplicolor on. If you look close you will notice that the front flares run into my head lights. No problem. I just painted a bit of the light white to mask it. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More towing. Getting my own car trailer again soon!...

You know that just means you can drag home more stuff easier, right? Also... when can I own your new CJ?  :D

Well, it hasn't been at my house for 24 hours yet and I've had 3 people ask about selling already.

Not to be rude but NEVAR!! Haha!!

• 1 month later...

Headed to western North Dakota for my new trailer! Cool storm on the horizon about 30 miles east of Devil's Lake!

Home after 890 miles in a day. Average for the trip at 72 mph was around 17mpg.

Trailer has new brakes, bearings, and brand new E rated tires. I plan to build some real fenders for it to replace the rusted out ones with some tube and some 16 gauge.

The jeep fits. Today all the side boards are off. Jeep didn't fit through the boards with 5psi in the tires very nice..

BUT....

It looks like the trans is about to $#!& the bed in the truck... Torque converter is shuttering like crazy... I wasn't really ready but this kind of stuff doesn't ever come at a good time.

New triple disk converter, new 48re valve body, new clutches, deep pan and I'll probably spring for a billet input shaft too. Coming sooner then later.

Love your truck.  I'm amazed at how clean it is for a northern truck.  I've got a 2004 Ram 2500 diesel crewcab and I'm about to take it off the road to fix a lot of the issues that have crept up over the past year and a half of ownership, which includes A LOT of rust repair.  The rockers and bed wheel wells need some serious attention.

I've contemplated selling the truck for the past few months, but right when I think I want to put it up for sale I find a use for it that my MJ simply can't handle.