'Ratmanche' the '88 Comanche

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the tires balanced, fronts were waaaaaaaay out of balance. And another oil change to 15w40 Rotella.

Ordered up some Moog CC782 variable rate Springs for the front. I have come to realize I traded two worn out and sagged 2wd Springs for one good and one sagged 4wd spring. Apparently the previous owner of the springs was on the larger side. Driver side is sagged 1/2" below the passenger side using my exceptionally accurate eyeball Guage. Will sort out the Tracbar/axle placement issue after those go in.

Thinking since I have a set of aftermarket fixed LCAs I'll throw them in at the same time for a little extra caster ... No pinion angle to worry about right now. Then just a set of adjustable uppers once I find a front axle I like.

• 2 weeks later...

And back from work, this run logged 18.7mpg so once I kill the exhaust leak she should be good to go again.

Had a sagged front coil on the driver side, so swapped in a set of Moog CC782's (Grand Cherokee variable rate) with 1" spacers. And a set of YJ Sensatracs. Nothing fancy, just good and reliable. Sits better and the axle is where it should be again. Thinking I'm going to go with a set of load assist shocks for the rear, and see where it ends up, if I end up needing more weight handling after that ... a Dakota main (or another stock main) will be fitted under the stock main.

• 2 weeks later...

Got Monroe load leveler shocks for the rear, swapped out easy peasy with no broken studs. Pulled the stock steering damper, swapped for one off a spare axle I had, looks to be a RE damper, could care less as long as it works (stock one was bone dry and shot).

Got some death Wobble on the Highway, happens above 115km/h so did a front end alignment in my driveway, better but a balance check of the front tire revealed the passenger front is no longer quite so round, yay.

Gonna work on getting the front flares on and maybe a little painting this weekend. Going to re-sign the drivers door as well after I hammer the hinges back to spec.

Thanks, I try.

And today's excitement ... New (to me tires) two good ones, two not so good but use able, two toasted... The really good tires have no rims. The other four are on steel 5 spoke jeep wheels. Going to paint those satin black and add trim rings. (I really like the look of them that way). Then use the 4 best tires between my current set and the new ones.

Otherwise, we added, trimmed and secured the old 88 flares to the 00 fenders. Then painted the headlight trim amd grille insert. And added a late model door check to the drivers door, popped it off, smacked the hinges back into place and re mounted the door. It's way better now, and finally, actually seals.

Snapped a pic before it got too dark out.

Dropped the front receiver off at the fab shop to get some brackets made for the new (to me) bumper I'm going to use. Some may not like it, but I think it'll work good. Yeah, that's right, a JK bumper, complete with tow hooks and fog lamps.

Trimmed correctly it should look good to.

• 1 month later...

So just a quick update...

Since I put my quad through my rear window, I had the exciting realization that rear Windows are simply not available in Canada. Found one used on the Island here and had it installed last Tuesday. The new window and gasket fits better than the original did... So pretty stoked about that, and the removal of mattress wrap that was my temp rear window.

Also swapped out the TJ grizzlies for a set of 5 spoke steel wheels I painted black. Much nicer looking although I ended up dropping Tire size to 225/70r15's now since I prefer round tires and they were the right price. Old tires will go onto trailer duty now.

Also snagged a set of Dodge Charger 2325 style 17" wheels so now I'm on the prowl for a decent set of 17's. Planning to paint the rims black, and eventually down the road roll on JK takeoffs. Looking at a 70% set of 245/70r17s when I get home.

Should spice things up. Might work on the hood and try some painting if the weather holds. And the drivers door needs more work again... With the pulled hinge welds she sits a bit cockeyed and the front upper corner doesn't seal right. Gonna see what form of magic I can pull from my butt for this fix.

And there is still the front bumper, and front alignment again (and again) snagged a RE Tracbar for free so going to work on getting that in on a double shear bracket to center the axle better.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a 92xj for parts, been using parts of it to fix/add to the MJ.

I now have a working antenna, you never know how nice radio is until you don't have it.

Added the XJ headlight timer, plugged right in. Lights the driveway after shut off.

Fixed my ebrake so now it works again.

Swapped my black dash bezel for the XJ's Argent one.

And the XJ's AX15 will eventually find it's way into the MJ. Along with the '94 AX15's bell setup (was my previous spare).

• 2 weeks later...

Just scored the ECM and engine bay wiring from a 90 XJ, so now to remove the unneeded bits. It was from an auto so there is a fair bit of fluff the truck doesn't need.

Getting it out was ... Well ... Rough. How do you get the bulkhead connector through that small hole? We just cut the core support where needed. Not gonna wanna do that to get it back in though.

• 3 weeks later...

Worked on the truck today ...

Swapped in the 90 XJ PCM ... Kicked my idle up to just under 1000rpm.

Swapped the driver side vent window for a solid one, added an oil pressure Guage to the right side switch panel, just need to hook it up now.

Well, finished the passenger side vent window swap, good thing as the lower pivot snapped during removal.

Also finished the mechanical oil pressure Guage install, my stock Guage is little better than an idiot light it seems, reads in 20psi increments.

And swapped the summer boots on ... 255/75r17 on charger 2325's. Picked the rims up a few months back for $150 and the tires just yesterday for $120 plus $80 to swap the old tires off the rims and balance.

Not bad in my opinion. Might paint the rims either semi gloss black or a graphite, not sure.

Yeah I know the gauge background looks ghetto, I'm working on it, this was just to get it done for now since I have to head for work tonight.

If the trucks stays white, the wheels go black. If I paint it blue, then graphite is the winner.

Hey curiosity? How do those tires work??do they rub? When turning etc and did u have to use spacers on them.. I'm putting 17s on eventually and I want the biggest tire possible and I have no lift except 1 in pucks in front. I don't want much lift either. I will say it looks Great with those wheels!! Good job on your build.

No rubbing yet, rims are from a Charger so same bolt pattern.

I have ZJ springs and a 1" puck. When I do the 4wd conversion I'll probably go up 1" more at most.

Haven't taken it offroad yet, so may find the fronts rub a little, or not. They seem to tuck just right so far. My original plan was to cash in on the JK take off tires, but these came up first. JK tires being 255/70r17 and measure 31.2", these 255/75r17 measure a full 32"

When I swap the 3.55 axles I the gearing will be exactly the same as stock 3.07s and 225/70r15s so a good power mix.

Just GM lowering shackles and Monroe load assist shocks, lifted maybe 3" in the rear and an estimated 2" over 4wd height in the front (so about 3" for a 2wd) with the Moog ZJ V8 coils and a 1" spacer.

Good Info Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, not much new to say but ...

Got a set of Charger 18" wheels with 70% 225/70r18's for $70 so swapped those on to give the tired old 4.0 a break. They look kinda goofy to me but I've gotten lots of compliments on both tire/wheel sets. She's showing her poor history at this point. Low hot oil pressure (seeing 35psi max hot at 2500rpm ... But still pushing 15-20 @ idle). The motor is smoking a but at start up and makes some nasty clicks until warm (mostly exhaust leak but also suspect a head gasket issue) so time to plan for the future.

Have my 92 4.0 to swap in for now and will start a rebuild on the Renix block. Best part ... Just found a running 4.2L close to me for $200 ... So ... Stroker here we come. It'll just be a basic poor schmuck build for now (hell, it may even wind up in the XJ if the 92 motor does well enough once put back together).

• 9 months later...

Well ... Quick update ... Life got me all busy and such. Let me try to remember what happened over the last few months ... Converted to a 86-94 GM 2.8L TPS (only needed two wires swapped).

Replaced the Alternator with a reman AC Delco 100A CS-130. The clutch master cylinder calved on me (turned out the mainspring snapped in half) so swapped that out. The old distributor decided it liked to piss oil as much as it made sparks ... So another swap out for a newer 1990 unit stopped that leak. Moved the IAT onto the intake tube. Did another round of connector refreshing.

Painted the wheels black,

Decided I'm going to spring over the rear and lift the front to match (but keep the factory rake). But that goes on the list of future doings.

She's been getting me to work and back since she hit the road, about 500kms every two weeks (250 in to camp, 250 out each week).

When I swapped the alt a bunch of my tapping went away. At this point I'm almost positive most of my noise is coming from the warped exhaust manifold leaks.

Figure to try a simple redone of the cylinders, and swap manifolds for one that seals. She still has tons of go so a new set of rings should seal her up and cure the start up smoking. New seals for the head might help too (it's nothing major, but really obvious in the winter - go away after about 10mins driving).

And she still desperately needs a paint job.

• 2 months later...

I like the white paint on Comanches. So much easier to paint and not do engine bay and door jams so everything matches and looks good. Mines red and will go back that way one day. Love the work you've done so far. It's looking good.

• 1 month later...

Been fighting with wiring the last few days, added trailer wiring for 7pin RV trailer and brake controller, and refreshed the old butchered in 4 pin wiring.

Tore the rear light harness out as the previous batch of owners had butchered the harness. Added an additional ground on the passenger side, an additional ground from battery to inner fender (like the late models did), and cleaned up the rear harness.

All the remains is to repair the harness before the plug as another previous owner had decided to add 5 Scotch Locs to three wires ... I mean really?!?!

Swapped the front seat out for a 93 Laredo passenger seat from a 4dr XJ because my current seat is had. It's maroon so it'll constantly remind me I need to find new seats once again. But it's still comfy as hell so in it went.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk