• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to lift the rear of the truck a little and increase the travel without sacrificing ride quality, i'm not sure if i should go with add a leafs or a HD shackle something like this: http://www.jksmfg.ca/by-vehicle/cherokee-xj/hd-shackle/  Thoughts?

JKS says it's 1" longer than stock and it fits SJ, XJ & MJ... then I'm guessing it's not any longer than a stock MJ shackle because they're about an inch longer than the XJ.  I know cuz I scrounged a pair of MJ shackles for my XJ build years ago.

My heater quit working today, blower motor still works I think it may be a plugged heater core or something because the coolant lines going through the firewall are cold. Definitely need to fix this because the average temperature right now is about -26 Celsius.

• 3 weeks later...

replaced my stock headlights with some cool black background ones i found on ebay (they were cheaper than stock too) and cut off that destroyed stock bumper and trimmed back the frame rails. thought i would have to rig up some sort of license plate mount but what-do-ya-know theres a factory one with a light and everything!! unfortunately the light bulb was broken so i wired in a white LED.

tumblr_n1oqgfHiw91tp7iyeo5_1280.jpgtumblr_n1oqgfHiw91tp7iyeo1_540.jpgtumblr_n1oqgfHiw91tp7iyeo4_400.jpg

tumblr_n1oqgfHiw91tp7iyeo3_1280.jpg

How do those headlights work at actually projecting light? Seems to me they wouldn't do well. They look cool either way!

The low beam is about as bright as stock. it doesnt have much for a reflector housing but uses some kind of different bulb. Only complaint is the highbeam isnt noticeably any brighter than low beam, A light bar will solve that  :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Also i picked up a re-geared re-bearinged re-tubed dana 44 out of  a 04 tj with an arb airlocker and arb diff cover, will snap a pick when i get a chance. this means air compressor capable of running air tools, rear disk brakes, possibly an SOA conversion and long arms in the front in the near future!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey all I havent posted in months because I have been way too busy enjoying my MJ!! over the summer I took my 'manche on a 3 month road trip to the coast and all around the interior of British Columbia. over 10 000 kms and 1 transmission later the jeeps still going strong. 

tumblr_n9lweukP2u1tp7iyeo4_1280.jpgtumblr_n9lweukP2u1tp7iyeo6_1280.jpgtumblr_n9lweukP2u1tp7iyeo7_1280.jpgtumblr_n9lweukP2u1tp7iyeo10_1280.jpgtumblr_n9lweukP2u1tp7iyeo3_1280.jpgtumblr_n9lweukP2u1tp7iyeo2_1280.jpgAfter my transmission failed due to a slow leak that went unnoticed for probably years and the strain of countless mountain climbs my input shaft on the four speed grenaded leaving me stranded. Luckily i managed to find a 5 speed out of an xj with under 200k kms and swapped it in in a walmart parking lot. definitely added some excitement to the adventure.

• 2 months later...

I reused the factory bumper mounts but beefed them up with some 3/8" plate. Of course after i had already completed the bumper did i learn about the other holes/bolts further back that are good for mounting bumpers.

tumblr_nh7kdoPVnD1tp7iyeo1_540.jpg

First mock up lets you see how much i trimmed the front fenders

tumblr_nh7kdoPVnD1tp7iyeo7_1280.jpg

The finished product

tumblr_nh7kdoPVnD1tp7iyeo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nh7kdoPVnD1tp7iyeo10_250.jpg

on the truck

tumblr_nh7kdoPVnD1tp7iyeo9_1280.jpg

A little paint sure helps things out

tumblr_nh7kdoPVnD1tp7iyeo3_1280.jpgtumblr_nh7kdoPVnD1tp7iyeo2_1280.jpgI'm super stoked on how the bumper turned out took my father and i about 6 hours to fab up. Now i actually have some tow points on the front of the truck as well as a little bit more tire clearance and approach angle. Definitely going to add a receiver into the front for a winch set up in the future. Possibly going to add a stinger as well.

How is it mounted?  Just to the 3 factory bolts per side? Or did you run the mounting brackets farther down the uniframe?  Looking good, I like the bumper, it's a neat design, I personally think a big stinger would mess up the flow.  I think an LED light bar beneath the grille would look mean since your bumper looks like it was made for it.

I ended up using just the three mounting bolts per side, if i do end up getting a winch or have problems ill probably redo the brackets to go farther back. Also ya i was thinking one of those single row led light bars would fit perfectly under the grill there.

• 2 weeks later...

Mother natures been a cold b*tch this last week with temperatures as low as -35C (that's -31F for all you in 'Merica). The cold informed me that my antifreeze wasn't so anti causing my rad to crack. I pulled a rad out of a 96 cherokee with a 4.0 and replaced the clunky clutch fan with dual electric fans from one of my drift cars. With the 4.0 rad in there and no  clutch fan there's a lot more room under the hood and it should be able to keep the little 4 cylinder cool even when I'm beating on it. ill put up a pic later of the mounts i had to fab up for the power steering reservoir and the fans.

tumblr_nhujha6cMZ1tp7iyeo3_540.jpgtumblr_nhujha6cMZ1tp7iyeo4_540.jpg

tumblr_nhujha6cMZ1tp7iyeo2_1280.jpgtumblr_nhujha6cMZ1tp7iyeo1_540.jpg