Fuel Injector Leak

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually had my brother move the throttle arm some to increase RPMs while I sat in the cab to shut the engine off if anything happened. When he did that I got backfires consistantly. Which really just adds to the idea its getting to much gas. It smells even stronger of unburnt gas than it did before I changed the O2 sensor. Ill be getting the Orings tomorrow after my interview, and changing the injectors if I have time afterwards

Sounds like you don't have a spark issue, but maybe an issue with injectors with too high of a flow rate.

Clean the plugs with a bead blaster, put them back in with the old injectors, and try it again (if you can't get the plugs clean, put in a new set instead). If the clean plugs come out black and sooty with the old injectors, you have a sensor issue or fuel pressure regulator issue. If they show a decent mixture, the new injectors are flowing too much... too much even for the control unit's ability to lean them out by shortening the injector pulse.

Spark+Plug+Reading.jpg

Bead blaster? Whats that? I got the fuel injector oring kits. They came with 2 brown orings, a weird blue cap looking thing with a hole in it (I'm guessing it goes on the tip of the injector) and a weird hard plastic white ring. I'm guessing I should just use the 2 o rings considering nothing on the injectors looks like the other 2 pieces. Just waiting on a non rainy day now.

• 2 weeks later...

I smushed and twisted the injectors a good bit. And they sealed :D but for a couple seconds after turning on the fuel pump to check if they sealed, i cpuld hear a slight hissing noise and a scent of gas. But I couldn't find from where! And it's still running rough, and after about 10 seconds it just goes crazy still. I noticed my IAC plug is kinda... shattered. But its still pluged in fine it seems. (Note I didnt change spark plugs, yet. Thats next if I have the money)

I went out there and pressed a couple vac lines, blew into some plugs, and tapped some sensors. Cranked it up and hey! It sounds fine! i also found the hissing sound, it was the fuel line oring where it goes into the regulator. But I'm just so happy it sounds fine. Sounds good when I increase RPMs too

I went out there and pressed a couple vac lines, blew into some plugs, and tapped some sensors. Cranked it up and hey! It sounds fine! i also found the hissing sound, it was the fuel line oring where it goes into the regulator. But I'm just so happy it sounds fine. Sounds good when I increase RPMs too

Sounds like a "Fonzie fix" to me. LOL. 

Quick disconnect part numbers

So far the Napa part numbers for just orings is:

Napa 730-5018 3/8 Viton individual orings $1.56 each

Napa 730-5017 5/16 Viton individual orings $1.35 each

Napa CRB 212305 fuel line repair kit 5/16? $15.93 each

Mopar repair kits:

83502745 fuel line repair kit 5/16 $6.99 Morris

83504447 fuel line/Trans line repair kit 3/8 $8.99 Morris

I do not know if this would be helpful to you but i see no mention of it here so i will bring it up. 

I have changed many injectors both individually (in XJ's the #3 is known for cooking because of the heat shield) and as an upgrade (4 holes in mine for throttle response and a little more pep)

When I put them in I carefully coat the o-ring with a slight film of petroleum jelly.....never had a problem with a single or a full rail....they always just popped in and fired up first try...for what it is worth  :dunno:

Quick disconnect part numbers So far the Napa part numbers for just orings is: Napa 730-5018 3/8 Viton individual orings $1.56 eachNapa 730-5017 5/16 Viton individual orings $1.35 eachNapa CRB 212305 fuel line repair kit 5/16? $15.93 each  Mopar repair kits: 83502745 fuel line repair kit 5/16 $6.99 Morris83504447 fuel line/Trans line repair kit 3/8 $8.99 Morris

of course the napa store here closed a couple months ago. So I guess I have to go to a dealer and get a repair kit? Should I get the 3/8 or 5/16? Oreillys was trying to charge me 10$ for the orings alone and they didnt look the same. AND YXMJ, I'm figuring I just didnt push the injectors in and seat them properly. And the ohms resistance was so differemt I'm figuring the newer injectors just were dumping to much fuel. They're Ford injectors.

You need 5/16" quick connectors for the fuel line. O'Reilly's has them here:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/27481.oap?ck=Search_83502745_-1_-1&keyword=83502745+

The dealer will charge you over $20/ea, but they are better quality. Rock Auto also has them, p/n HK7

Thank you for the clarification on size. I ASSume that 5/16 are for fuel and 3/8 are for trans?