Fuel Injector Leak

Walked beside my truck today, was about to test drive after doing an alignment. And smelled gas real bad in the engine bay. What I found was a soaked fuel injector (the third from the front of the engine) it seems to be coming from the part where the fuel injector connects to the fuel rail.

I can't afford a new injector set right now, so what can I do and how do I do it?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that exact problem, it was leaking where the metal met plastic, dripping pretty constantly. I just went to the JY and found 6 almost brand new injectors off a Grand Cherokee. The only fix I could find was a rebuild, but that would cost more than it was worth. I have 5 old but good injectors sitting around if you don't have any JYs around and don't want to spend the money on a new one. 

First Post: http://comancheclub.com/topic/38555-mjxj-parts-updated-regularly/

I believe that mine is just an o-ring. Because I remember when I first bought the truck, that I bumped this same injector, and is started a small spray. But when I twisted it back to it's original position it was fine, until now. Where can I get a o-ring and how do I change it? I would rather try this before buying a used set just in case. I planned on upgrading to 703's when I got a job and everything else worked out on the truck.

Thanks

you can get a set of o rings from most any auto parts store, they usually come with a tool to help install them.. might as well replace all the injector o rings while you have the fuel rail off.. also would be a good time to clean the injectors.

it took us about an hour or so to remove clean and re-install the injectors

Rockauto or autoparts store for the o-rings. If you go on Rockauto, purchase one new injector just in case it's not the o-rings. Removing the fuel rail to replace injectors or o-rings is not that difficult, requires some patience. Relieve the fuel pressure by removing the cap and depressing the shraeder valve. If it's already leaked out, don't bother. There is a 13mm nut under where the left and right vacumm harness plug together, also a stainless clip that holds the fuel line. Pop the harness up and out of the U shaped holder and remove the nut. This will give you some freedom to wiggle the hard fuel line loose. To release the fuel line from the rail, squeeze and press the nylon retainer clip in and toward the valve cover, at the same time tug the hard line away from the valve cover. It should pop loose. Note the o-ring will either stay with the line or stay inside the rail. Locate it and save it for reassembly. Now you can remove the intake manifold bolts that attach the fuel rail to the intake. Next, is the tricky part...each fuel injector has a steel clip that holds the top of the injector to the fuel rail. It pops off pretty easy with the right pliers and flat head. Don't lose them, they are a dealer item and not cheap. With some patience, wiggling and gentle prying action, the fuel rail can then be separated from the injectors. It will remain attached to the return fuel line at the back, that's ok to leave connected. The injectors are still attached to the harness, each connector will separate from the injector, not too easily either. Need to be patient and careful, eventually they will come apart and snap back together. Replace O-rings, injectors, coat o-rings with some motor oil and reassemble. The back injector is a pain, just have to deal with hunching over and snapping it out to replace the o-rings.

Do the steel clips that connect the fuel injectors to the rail stay on the injectors or the fuel rail? How do I safely clean the injectors? The leak is definetely where the injector connects to the rail, the lower part of the injector is dry. If its not the O ring then Ill find a junkyard injector to get me through.

The clips don't stay with either, they snap off and usually fling themselves into places only a flashlight can find. There is a lip on the clip that you can lever on to snap them off. Probably lots of ways to clean them but some parts cleaner and a coffee can is what I've used, and there's always a missing tooth brush involved lol.

The stock injectors are junk after the first 20 years LOL. They are two piece metal/plastic and the seam separates over time. Replacing them with what the parts store will give you will induce some major sticker shock ... $50 EACH. AKA $300 for 6. Wowzers!!

A better option is something along these lines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Year-Warranty-Jeep-Cherokee-Wrangler-4-0L-BOSCH-Upgrade-Fuel-Injector-Set-/281075415650?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4171667a62&vxp=mtr

They come with new O-rings too. I replaced the ones in my XJ with these (or very similar to these) and liked them so much I got a set for the MJ. That was 4 years ago. Not a leak or hiccup since. BTW...word to the wise: Do NOT cheap out on a fuel leak, especially directly over a hot exhaust manifold. The result is almost always very bad.

The stock injectors are junk after the first 20 years LOL. They are two piece metal/plastic and the seam separates over time. Replacing them with what the parts store will give you will induce some major sticker shock ... $50 EACH. AKA $300 for 6. Wowzers!!

A better option is something along these lines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Year-Warranty-Jeep-Cherokee-Wrangler-4-0L-BOSCH-Upgrade-Fuel-Injector-Set-/281075415650?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4171667a62&vxp=mtr

They come with new O-rings too. I replaced the ones in my XJ with these (or very similar to these) and liked them so much I got a set for the MJ. That was 4 years ago. Not a leak or hiccup since. BTW...word to the wise: Do NOT cheap out on a fuel leak, especially directly over a hot exhaust manifold. The result is almost always very bad.

Excellent advice^^ right there. 

Is that 90$ for the full set? I was figuring they would be that much apiece. Was there any sign of better gas mileage or power after the swap? I may take some scrap metal just to get them. So many things just keep happening with my truck and I'm running out of money to spend :/ Life of having a old Jeep to fix up.

Fuel injectors are almost in. But... while tightening a bolt, I slipped and broke a plastic piece of the throttle wire (i think thats what it is?) Its the cable coming from the cab that connects to the lever that then splits into a pole which moves the butterfly valve in the throttle body. I broke the plastic casing around a spring? Where can I get this, how muchdoes it cost, and whats it called? It sucks not getting to crabk my truck once I get the new injectors in

I pulled a spark plug and it was wet with gas. There was alot of carbon buildup in the engines fuel injector ports, which I cleaned out and a good bit of it fell in the engine. And all of my vacuum harness was connected right. Tps and iac were plugged in as well. I think it just needs to let the gas dissipate. It started right up everytime before the injector started leaking and I had to get these new ones.