A Copy Of The Parking Brake Recall?

Similar parking brake recall for Wranglers:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=02V041000

The solution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-1995-JEEP-WRANGLER-CJ-YJ-PARK-EMERGENCY-BRAKE-LEVER-PEDAL-ASSEMBLY-NEW-/251390747369

When this futility exercise finally dies, as it will, adapt the Wrangler unit to your MJ. I'd be surprised if there is much difference between the two.

I have done one of the wrangler recalls. As far as I know those parts are still available. I kept the old part to use as comparison bit have yet to compare. My park brake still works after 352,000 miles so I have yet to need to compare. But just looking at it it appears that it wouldn't take much to adapt one.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I've posted more than once that I have good parking brake assemblies for $50.  two of them.   You'd think that people who want to cry and whine this much about something would be able to pony up $50 shipped for something they just absolutely must have.

But noooo....you're all cheap.

Which, of course, is why I got rid of most all of my jeep parts, for free, to the scrap yard.  I think I will probably go ahead and throw these in the scrap bucket.   they're obviously not that important to people.

What's fair is that defective parts that are the subject of a safety recall be repaired or replaced to function as designed without expense to the owner. If you are going to set yourself up to satisfy Chrysler's liability, you should not only provide the parts free of charge but also install them, as well as warranty them against future failure and any resulting consequences (like crashes, deaths and injuries, property damage, and all resulting claims arising therefrom).

You're in over your head - think about it... although I bet Chrysler would love you for it. :)

What's fair is that defective parts that are the subject of a safety recall be repaired or replaced to function as designed without expense to the owner. If you are going to set yourself up to satisfy Chrysler's liability, you should not only provide the parts free of charge but also install them, as well as warranty them against future failure and any resulting consequences (like crashes, deaths and injuries, property damage, and all resulting claims arising therefrom).

You're in over your head - think about it... although I bet Chrysler would love you for it. :)

NO.

What's fair is not getting guy's hopes and dreams up without having FACTS that there is even a safety recall on the part.

There isn't.   That was for 1986.   I just talked to my dealer.   It does NOT apply to any other model year.

What's fair is everyone pulling their own weight.

What's fair is realizing that the vehicle is that old, and that parts wear down over time.   it's not new.

you are flat out out of your damn mind.

What's fair is all relative. I wouldnt and don't need to pay 50 bucks plus shipping for a parking break you say works...when I heard more times then not, parking breaks in general, that they don't work...Hints why there that parking break rebuild thread. I'm sure all mine needs is rebuilt drums and an adjustment. My probably isnt that it pops off, its that it doesnt stop and flies up to the hood release when undone.

I wouldn't say they work if they didn't, and my history here, unlike oyaji's, proves it.

so, bottom line, you're too cheap to pay for one, and have not yet looked for the actual problem in yours, so it must not be as big of an issue as some here are trying to make it out to be.

Some of you *hard look above this post* have a hard time reading and understanding what has been posted.

This thread is about the 1986 parking brake recall, and by extension now, also seeking to find if there is a pervasive problem with MJ parking brakes beyond the 1986 model year that warrants further investigation. Anecdotal evidence given in this thread and the fact that the same part number was used for all MJ parking brakes suggests that there might be a problem across all years of production, so if you have a problem with your parking brake in any MJ besides the 1986 model you should speak up here. If you have a 1986 MJ with a faulty parking brake I suggest you take it by your deal for recall service. If you have any trouble getting that service I encourage you to post an account of your experience here.

That there is an outstanding safety recall that Chrysler will honor is beyond contradiction, as they have admitted as much in their email copied in post # 59 on page 3. To be clear, safety recalls have no time limit and are not affected by product age.

In no way, shape, or form, have I said that any recall doesn't apply to the 1986 model year. it does, but DOES NOT extend beyond that.

The argument here is that the recall applies EXACTLY AND EXPLICITLY to that model year, and nothing more.

A worn out, 20-some year old part due to neglect or over-use is in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM a defect for which Chrysler is responsible.

All of you who don't have an 86, quit your whining and do something to fix it. People on the site have good spare parking brakes for cheap, reasonable prices, besides me. You want it fixed, buy one or fix yours. Anything beyond that, well....you are asking for too much for free on something that is OLD.

Parts break. If you think Chrysler is responsible for the brake pedal wearing, you are wrong. It's past it's warranty coverage due to age inevitably and mileage in most cases. You wouldn't get Chrysler to replace the e-brake assembly or parts on a 10 year old Cummins, either. It is simply and factually beyond it's coverage and any liability by them.

If you have an 87-92 with a bad parking brake, and think they should replace it for free, you are nuts.

That's like expecting them to replace the rotten floorboards because they didn't hold up to the salt, or the motor because the previous owner beat on it and it broke. I could come up with a million anecdotes for the situation at hand.

Any statement that you are deserving of free parts is a misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the facts.

There's a difference between being too cheap to pay for one, and knowing when not to just throw parts at the problem.

This is my parking break problem and Ive look at it just havent taken it out. The it not really working very well is because of my piss poor drums(which are on order). So I already looked into the problem..all mine needs is rebuilt drums and an adjustment.

This has gone from an educated discussion, to a full out internet bar fight. Comanche Club is supposed to be a place where, no matter what difference in opinions we have, we share the same love...Comanches. If I was a moderator, I would delete every single post that does not have information relevant to the subject. Every single one of you who engaged in arguing over a subject which was simply meant to invoke curiosity, should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. This forum is an amazing place, lets keep it that way. Show some respect, no matter what side you are on.

:agree:

Either that, or start fresh with 2 threads: 1 about the safety recall for the 1986 model year, and one to garner input about parking brake failure for other years to determine if it is commonplace and what to do about it.

Thankfully, this thread has not yet gotten to the level of a "fullout internet bar fight"... at least not by all the participants. I think reading what has actually been written rather than what one expects to see on the page would go a long way towards understanding what the point actually is here.