Loud Pop?!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a decent amount of work pulling a tack bar out of another vehicle in questionable condition at a yard when the most expensive stock replacement off RockAuto costs $70. They've got a Moog for $42. And if you do any serious offroading, now would be a good time to upgrade to something beefier.

That's a decent amount of work pulling a tack bar out of another vehicle in questionable condition at a yard when the most expensive stock replacement off RockAuto costs $70. They've got a Moog for $42. And if you do any serious offroading, now would be a good time to upgrade to something beefier.

good point, my local advance has one for 36 bucks but i can't remember if it's a moog or not,

Redwolf

good point, my local advance has one for 36 bucks but i can't remember if it's a moog or not,

Redwolf

Go buy it.............

um, got bad news, i just replaced my track bar this mornin, greesed the new one up and everything, had no loud pop untill i left my local scrap yard, now that loud pop is back, why, how, what went wrong? what else could it be cause EVERYTHING is tight and greesed,

Redwolf

• 4 weeks later...

um, got bad news, i just replaced my track bar this mornin, greesed the new one up and everything, had no loud pop untill i left my local scrap yard, now that loud pop is back, why, how, what went wrong? what else could it be cause EVERYTHING is tight and greesed,

Redwolf

Best thing to do is see if you can duplicate the symptom sitting still and see-sawing the wheel back and forth. If you can have someone do that while you have a gander underneath, that would be the best. 

Refresh my memory here. Did you actually put a wrench/socket on the trackbar bracket to framerail bolts? 

Sounds like the lower control arm bolts (at the frame) might be slightly loose. Mine did that to me a couple times before I got the double serrated lockwashers.

trust me it's not the controls arms, i checked em with a torque wrench :)

Redwolf

Best thing to do is see if you can duplicate the symptom sitting still and see-sawing the wheel back and forth. If you can have someone do that while you have a gander underneath, that would be the best. 

Refresh my memory here. Did you actually put a wrench/socket on the trackbar bracket to framerail bolts? 

as far as takin a wrench to the track bar bracket, no i didn't, i did it the hard way, fought with the cotter pin and retainin nut and a pickle fork, and i can duplicate the pop, only when i turn the wheel all the way to the left at for lock,

Redwolf

You need to do that. 

Got air tools? 

Those bolts were not tight enough from the factory. The popping noise started cropping up on customer's new rigs. It was so bad that we adopted a policy of tightening those fasteners during the Pre-delivery inspection. This is definitely a stone I wouldn't leave unturned. 

Those bolts were not tight enough from the factory. The popping noise started cropping up on customer's new rigs. It was so bad that we adopted a policy of tightening those fasteners during the Pre-delivery inspection. This is definitely a stone I wouldn't leave unturned. 

Out of curiosity, what should it be torqued down to?

I'm on board with this. My MJ's track bar bracket bolts are somewhat loose, as I think I mentioned somewhere above. I know they're loose because I can see evidence around the heads of the bolts that it's moving around. Unfortunately, though, when I tried tightening them, I couldn't get them to budge at all, and that was applying near 200 ft-lbs by my reckoning.

You need to do that. 

Got air tools? 

no air tools for me, my dad's old school and what exactly should i be tightin, the trackbar retainin nut of the bracket?

Out of curiosity, what should it be torqued down to?

according to the haynes manual this is what it says for torques;

"track bar ballstud nut....62ft-lbs

trach bar-to-axle bracket nut.....74ft-lbs"

that's just for the trackbar, i got all the torque specs for almost everything on a MJ/XJ

Make sure there aren't any rocks stuck in the bottom loop of the coil spring too.

trust me i checked that first cause it started both times i when off road and no rocks or anything,

Redwolf

Redwolf:

Just tighten the living $#!& out of the bolts that hold the trackbar bracket to the frame rail. Pull as hard as you can. Squirt some Panther Piss type stuff on the threads first. Easy. 

ok, i'll try that today once i get home from work if the sun's still up, if not i'll try it satuday,

Redwolf

Until you've done that, you're wasting time and money. 

Remember, don't just look at 'em. Tighten 'em.

i know, i'll let yall know what happens when i get day light time to mess around with it,

Redwolf

That daylight stuff happens about 12 to 15 hours each day, doesn't it? 

Until you've done that, you're wasting time and money. 

Remember, don't just look at 'em. Tighten 'em.

i know, i'll let yall know what happens when i get day light time to mess around with it,

Redwolf

That daylight stuff happens about 12 to 15 hours each day, doesn't it? 

sun goes down around 5, i don't get home till 6,

Redwolf

yeah i got flashlights but workin underneither a vehicle is not somethin i'll do in the dark, i'll work under the hood in the dark but not underneither, but i'm bouta put the MJ in the drive way so i'll update yall when i know somethin,

Redwolf