Loud Pop?!

this can't be good, i had to make a U turn today and turned my wheel all the way left and i heard a loud pop, got home and the first thing i did was check to make sure the ball joints were still good (which they are but need to be greesed bad) tie rods aint touchin anything, gear box is still good, nothing is touchin, i don't know what is makin the loud pop, any ideas?

Redwolf

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tighten all the track rod bracket bolts on the driver's side frame rail even if they appear tight.

track rod? what does that look like? sorry i haven't messed with much under my truck but the oil pan, tranny and rear diff

Also tighten your steering gear box bolts.

they're all tighten but i'll double check if weather permits,

Redwolf

Go start your truck and turn your wheel from lock to lock. If it pops or you feel a bump. 5 bucks says its a control arm bushing...

did that, after bout the 10th lock to lock it went faint but it's only when the wheel is turned all the way left,

Redwolf

Tighen up the stuff we suggested first.

Tighen up the stuff we suggested first.

Weather permitting of course.

will do and yeah weather permittin, all we've been gettin is rain, rain, and more rain, minus yesterday and i hand to help my buddy out with droppin his truck off at firestone and checkin out a truck he wants then i had work at night, so today if i can before work i'll try to take a look if weather permitting :)

Redwolf

This is a Cherokee but it will help you identify the parts the boys are talking about

yeah that will help A LOT is there any way ya can point out all the grease fittins too, my dad told me it'd be a great idea when i'm under there makin sure everything is tight to greese ball joints and all that,

Redwolf

stopped rainin yesterday and the drive way was dry today so i crawled under my MJ and checked EVERYTHING that was highlighted in that diagram, everything is tight, i greased everything but the poppin noice went away a few days ago so i inspected everything and it all looks good, i'm thinkin somethin got caught up in there from where i did doughnuts lol

Redwolf

Did you put a wrench/socket on all the track bar bracket bolts and steering box bolts?

how else am i supposed to know if it's tight, just because it looks tight doesn't mean it is, advance proved that with my starter,

Redwolf

Did you put a wrench/socket on all the track bar bracket bolts and steering box bolts?

how else am i supposed to know if it's tight, just because it looks tight doesn't mean it is, advance proved that with my starter,

Redwolf

Meaning?

thought my starter was dead so i took it to advance to have em test it and the tested it and it didn't work right, they said take it back to napa and they tested it after tightenin the nut on the cylinoid, so i no longer just look to see if things are tight, i actually take a wrench/socket to em and make sure :)

Redwolf

I've had the same problem for a while now. I have tightened everything I could possibly think of and it still makes a popping noise when I reach full lock. I have not checked the control arm bushings though. Maybe this will give me a reason to swap them for WJ ones..

I've had the same problem for a while now. I have tightened everything I could possibly think of and it still makes a popping noise when I reach full lock. I have not checked the control arm bushings though. Maybe this will give me a reason to swap them for WJ ones..

i think my control arms are popping as well.. I also plan to use WJ control arms, but mostly for the tire clearance.

i think my control arms are popping as well.. I also plan to use WJ control arms, but mostly for the tire clearance.

that wouldn't make since if it's only one side doin it though, just my thought on that, but the poppin noise came back today, i don't get it, everything is tight, greesed and good,

Redwolf

• 1 month later...

ok, the loud pop is drivin me crazy, i can't figure it out but a couple days ago i started havin tings and pings every time the comanche would flex weather it was a slight change in the road or a sharp turn, the more of a degree the louder the tings and pings were, today i crawled under, once again checked EVERY nut and bolt, found out my upper sway bar nuts were loose and thats what were causin the tings and pings but i still can't find where that loud pop is comin from, i've checked everything i can think up and see but nothin is loose, it is only when i turn the steerin wheel all the way to the left (driver side), any ideas again?

Redwolf

I also have a very similar issue. I've tracked it down to several things:

First, my trackbar mount is moving around despite being as tight as I can get them. That's a half-inch ratchet with a 14-inch handle with a good portion of my weight hanging off it, or else me pushing upwards against it so hard with the truck on the ground that it lifted an inch or so . Couldn't get a breaker bar in there. I know it's moving around because I can feel it in the floorboards and there are wear marks around the bolt heads.

Second, my steering box bolts were loose, to the point where I could move the box back and forth a couple mm with my hands. After tightening them, some of my popping sounds went away. Since then, however, I occasionally hear a grinding sound when I turn the steering wheel, likely due to excessive wear from the bolts being loose.

Third: ever since I bought the truck (and the PO pointed it out when we were test driving, and said a mechanic couldn't reproduce it) there's been a dull clunk if I hit a hard bump. I recently discovered that the arb is contacting the passenger-side coil spring on extension. I noticed this when I was underneath trying to tighten the track bar bolts. It looks like a PO used the arb as a recovery point at some point and it's bent pretty bad.

All of this would have been rectified if I wasn't a full-time student, and don't have the budget to pay someone else to do it or the time to do it myself. Also, I depend on my MJ to get me ten miles to school and back every day, so can't really afford to have it out of commission.