• 1 month later...

I uncovered her yesterday for the first time in a couple months. We moved her into the garage to paint the door jams and where the hood meets the cowl.

Little sneak peak of the color (this was the hood) all the cutting in is done and now just gotta reassemble it and take it to paint.

so I'm probably one of the few people (if not the first) that has had to modify their hood catch...

modified/factory

the catch was hitting the front most bolt head of the hood catch "striker" and wouldnt go down inside the hole under the striker without pushing it over. and the hood was where it needed to be at (as square on every edge as it was going to get) so i cut the catch arm off and moved it back 1/4" so now it hits perfectly in the center of the striker and hole. 

I'm guessing its from my truck being wrecked in the front and everything got set back just a little bit. which brings us to my next modification...

drivers side front bumper mount. 

the bumper needed to go down 1/2" and out 1" so i had to make new holes in the mount. (don't mind the 2 round holes. i wasnt thinking and went the wrong way the first time) 

the holes running up and down in the pic are the new holes. and on the top holes i had to cut the side of the mount and bend it back. since this pic i have welded up the old holes and around where i bent the side down. good to go now! 

the rest of the truck is mostly put back together to paint (body panel wise) and its going to the painter this week!!! 

Do you have pics of the rear flares after the shave? What did you use to smooth them out? I'm debating doing the same or running rear flares on the front to allow for a bigger tire.

I don't have any pictures yet, because they aren't done yet. One of them had a couple air bubbles in the mold and they showed up when I shaved them down. So gotta figure out a way to get rid of them...

And I used an 80 grit wheel on a grinder first to get pat of it down then a 2" 36 grit pad on an air grinder to get it pretty flush then I used 150 and 320 grit sand paper to get it pretty close.

And I never really noticed it that much before but the truck is 4" higher in the rear than the front. according to the wheel wells. With 235s, from the top of the tire to the wheel well where the flare mounts is 13.25" of clearance. The front has 9". The truck just looks so much more massive now than I remember it being... Lol. Idk what the best solution is to make it more level...remove a leaf or add a coil spacer...

here is the factory flare next to the one i shaved the ridge off of (looks rough in the picture, its been sanded more and smoothed out)

here are all the holes that showed up on one flare after i sanded the ridge off...

i found some "adhesion promoter" to spray on the bare flares then put bondo or something in to fill the holes and smooth it out. 

old update.... our painter is busy for the next couple weeks so were gonna sand all the dark grey sealer off down to primer and finish up a few small things before it goes to paint. 

its getting there, slowly, but its moving along. 

man thats going to look great once it is done. Keep up the good work. I wish I had bodywork skills.......

Thanks. And all the body work is my dad. I just welded it all in (some of the hard part) and he's made it all look great! There's actually not as much Bondo in it as I thought we would need with all the dents in the bed and with replacing cab corners and rockers. I'm happy with it so far.

• 4 weeks later...

my dad got the RedlineTuning hood struts put on this week. it was simple and they work pretty well. 

he also installed the boostwerks transfer case shift linkage. as it is right now I'm not really that impressed with it. very hard to shift and they said it might require modification of their linkage. it might eventually get worked out right but as of right now,....ehhhh....

in put an inline fuel/water separator filter. it sat down pretty far below the frame (probably not anymore than filters on factory diesel trucks) but i didnt know how it would be with this truck (rocks flying up at it).

so i made a little surround for it.

just used 2 self tapping bolts i had from a JCR bolt kit 

got my seat reupholstered too...

• 2 weeks later...

That's odd you say that the boostwerk linkage is not working correctly? Do you have 231? If so something may not be correct you are the first person that I've heard that didn't love it, I know mine was simple install and shifts smoother and easier than before? May wanna look into that

That's odd you say that the boostwerk linkage is not working correctly? Do you have 231? If so something may not be correct you are the first person that I've heard that didn't love it, I know mine was simple install and shifts smoother and easier than before? May wanna look into that

My dad has read all the reviews and fixes and ways to set em up and we've tried it all. It goes into I think 4 low but then won't move. Have to get underneath and move it on the Tcase. If I woulda looked into it more I coulda made the whole set up myself. But thought this would Dave some time and hassle...I don't know though. We'll mess with it more in a couple weeks when I get it back.

Its coming along nicely! Would you happen to have CAD files for those bumper and hitch plates?

thank you. And no I don't have CAD files. I had an engineer at work draw them up a couple months ago and they're probably long gone by now. I gave him a printout of a drawing on Google when I searched it. And the bumper brackets...I'm not sure if they fit yet. I combined 2 drawings and guessed. Thats why I only did one set for now. Sorry...

Awesome to see the project coming along. I'm having some issues of my own on my Cummins project.

I lucked out with the fitment of mine. Fits so nicely. Your 3.4 is 3" wider and 6" longer than my 3.3. And 70lbs heavier which isn't a big deal.

In the pic of it on the trailer the tires look so small. :/

its sitting in the paint booth and is all taped up! 

my painter said if he had a few hours this weekend he would paint the cab, if not, itll be next week. I'm getting excited! 

and i test fitted my hitch side plates...didnt go as planned. 

awful close to the exhaust. it actually hits it.