1986 And 1988 - Oh $1500

GirsMJ86

3/23/14 UPDATE:

Well my dad, sticking true to his selfish a$$hole nature, has just issued an ultimatum. He has already scheduled a pickup date with the local scrap yard of May 1st. My dad sees these trucks as worthless junk. He was offered $500 for both trucks the other day and he told me if he had the titles they would have been gone. Needless to say, after his ultimatum today and the heated exchange afterwards, we aren't talking. Knowing him, I'll be lucky if he doesn't scrap them this week.

I'm pulling the SWB roll bar and factory fog lights to keep for myself, but I'll let both trucks and most of my parts go for $1500. That's much much less then I paid for either truck. Hell, I'd maybe be willing to take less from someone fairly active around here. Although doing so means none of the extra/spare/new/replacement parts will be included.

I was hoping to have some more time and start slowly parting the '86 out once it warmed up so I could fix the '88 after getting back on some medication here in the next month or two, but I'm not going to have that chance now since I don't have anywhere to move them to. So if you are interested, speak up. If the '86 starts to get parted out because someone wants to buy just the '88 or get the interior or something, any little parts like taillights, tailgate, grille, roll bar, etc. will all be getting yanked and stuck in my garage to be sold before the rest of the rig is hauled off. I'll be sure to grab the Holley stuff as well since I'm sure some 2.8 owner would love it.

Would really like to see them go to someone on here, but if they go to scrap then they go to scrap. I can't take the stress of him anymore since it only aggravates my condition so I'm just done. Bad enough this isn't the only issue making my life miserable at the moment.

Original post is as follows:

Package deal with club discount for established members. You're basically getting the '86 for free IMO, even though I could make out better parting it with the interior and stuff, just in hopes that they go to someone active on here rather than some joe blow off the street.

My health has been bad enough that I've decided to just cut my losses and get rid of these how they sit. I will not be performing any repairs, even if it might only be something relatively minor, because my condition just will not allow for me to be leaning over into the engine bay for long or crawling around underneath. And I'm not paying a shop to repair them either since I've already spent enough on them. I'll just say these are "as is" and provide as much info about them as I can below to hopefully get these moved fast so I can put the funds to good use elsewhere. If you have a question, feel free to PM me.

NO PARTING OUT. My health just won't allow it.

Would be willing to trade them for a 4.0L, Auto, 4x4 MJ (2wd is fine if an Eliminator), XJ, or WJ in comparable shape to the '88, J10/20, K10/20, or a '00+ P71. Just PM me details and pics on what you have if offering something, needs to be daily driveable.

Bring a trailer, neither one can be driven currently. The trucks are located in Bucyrus. Zip code is 44820.

The '86

2.8L

AX-5 w/external slave
Command-trac 4x4

The Good:

Holley Fuel Injection

Edelbrock Intake Manifold

Edelbrock Valve Covers

Factory LWB Roll Bar

Near mint black interior (small tear on driver side vinyl of the lower seat, wood dash not included)

3/4 Gauge Cluster (no tach but has everything else)

Comes with:

New Master and Slave Cylinder

New Motor Mounts

New BFG AT T/A KO tires (235/75 R15)

All 3 hubcaps that are not in the pictures

Spare rear solid window

The bad:
Slave cylinder is out
Broken brake line in the rear

Right rear wheel is locked up

Motor mounts are shot
Typical Ohio rust belt rust

The maybe:
PO claims the engine was rebuilt about 30k miles ago but couldn't find the receipt to prove it. I kind of want to think it's true though with the kind of money that was spent on upgrades for this engine and because it seemed to run better than the 2.8 I had in my other '86. Take that with a grain of salt though since I don't know for sure.

There is no battery or fuel in it, bring your own if you want to hear it run. Like I said though the motor mounts are cracked, because of that I won't let it be ran if you are not serious. It's also not tuned at all and runs pretty rough, no smoke though. It does fire right up.

Most up to date pics I have. The ones without the grille and bed shots are from when I first got it when it was filthy. I have since pressure washed it and cleaned the inside.

The '88

4.0L I6
BA-10/5 (5spd)
Command-trac 4x4
SWB

The Good:

factory swb rollbar

factory skids on the gas tank and t case

xj bucket seats with the big bolsters

full center console

cargo light

interior lights package

factory dash clock

ford 302 19# injectors

1 inch throttle body spacer

rustys intake tube

sunroof (doesn't leak)

4.5 inch lift

97+ xj side view mirrors

h4 headlights with built in city lights

factory front tow hooks

new larger CCA battery

working brake prop valve in the rear

Comes with:

clutch kit

engine and transmission mounts

full felpro engine gasket kit

1997+ steel valve cover with the baffle

new tail pipe

spare driver and passenger side window glass

ton of other parts I know I'm forgetting (enough to fill a Ford Escape)

The Bad:

Rear main leaks

Needs tires

Sway bar is off because of a broken link

Coolant line burst while out and about recently in the extreme cold (1/24/14). Switching to an open system would take care of it, it was spraying from where the plastic check valve thing is with the arrow on it or the hose directly above that one, can't remember for sure. If this thing is still sitting when it starts to warm up, I might switch it over to open since it's so easy.

Fires right up, runs and drives fine. I did start on the rear main fix but because my health went downhill all I ended up doing was an oil change basically. Put some Delo 400 in it since it's better and thicker, as well as a new Wix filter. It really quieted the thing down from when I got it and it had 10w30 in it, still a noisy high mileage 4.0L "diesel" with all it's rattles and taps though. The BA-10/5 is one of the smoothest shifting manuals I've used in an old truck. The thing is also relatively rust free. What rust there is was treated several years ago and still looks great, the bedside repair panel needs finished welded (no pic), then it needs paint. The floors are typical rust, but the rockers and cab corners are solid. Underside of the bed is spotless, frame is clean with coating still on most of it. It's originally from Long Island.

Nope, I personally won't be doing any parting. I need the entire truck gone before the thing becomes a casualty of my father's waning patience and he hauls it to work to scrap it. If I were to part it, you could guarantee I'd be keeping the interior anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, I personally won't be doing any parting. I need the entire truck gone before the thing becomes a casualty of my father's waning patience and he hauls it to work to scrap it. If I were to part it, you could guarantee I'd be keeping the interior anyways.

if you do scrap it.....i want that rollbar!  really id like the whole truck....just don't have an extra $1500 for a truck that might not pass PA inspeection.

Would you part with the curb side bumper end? Someone anonymously crushed a shopping cart against mine at Wally World. :grrrr: There's no way they didn't know.

The truck I'm picking up today is missing that cap so I'm actually going to be swiping that since the rest of the bumper is mint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you put the snaps on the bed sides or did it come with those? Mine had those when I got mine and they cracked the paint when they put them on. My MJ sides look very similar to yours. Worst thing

they could do, now it needs to be completely repainted.

The snaps are from the optional bed cover it had when new. Typical for them to become rust magnets since they aren't sealed or anything, and the covers always come up missing over the years. Surprisingly most of the snaps are still on this truck and not rusted out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest mikeyfarwell1991

if you still have the 88 pm me please id like to talk to you about it. might be interested but I'm 2.5 hours away and would like to be sure about it beforei make the trip. thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well my dad, sticking true to his selfish a$$hole nature, has just issued an ultimatum. He has already scheduled a pickup date with the local scrap yard of May 1st. My dad sees these trucks as worthless junk. He was offered $500 for both trucks the other day and he told me if he had the titles they would have been gone. Needless to say, after his ultimatum today and the heated exchange afterwards, we aren't talking. Knowing him, I'll be lucky if he doesn't scrap them this week.

I'm pulling the SWB roll bar and factory fog lights to keep for myself, but I'll let both trucks and most of my parts go for $1500. That's much less then I paid for either truck. Hell, I'd maybe be willing to take less from someone fairly active around here. Although doing so means none of the extra/spare/new/replacement parts will be included.

I was hoping to have some more time and start slowly parting the '86 out once it warmed up so I could fix the '88 after getting back on some medication here in the next month or two, but I'm not going to have that chance now since I don't have anywhere to move them to. So if you are interested, speak up. If the '86 starts to get parted out because someone wants to buy just the '88 or get the interior or something, any little parts like taillights, tailgate, grille, roll bar, etc. will all be getting yanked and stuck in my garage to be sold before the rest of the rig is hauled off. I'll be sure to grab the Holley stuff as well since I'm sure some 2.8 owner would love it.

Would really like to see them go to someone on here, but if they go to scrap then they go to scrap. I can't take the stress of him anymore since it only aggravates my condition so I'm just done. Bad enough this isn't the only issue making my life miserable at the moment.

Archived