Receiver Hitch

Everyone is going to drop out of this when the manufacturer comes back with a $400/hitch price tag to even make it worthwhile for them do to a small run.

I imagine you're right, and thats more than likely what it would end up as for such a small run anyway. But, if it can be done for a reasonable price, I've got the $$ on hold, just kinda hoping.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don pretty much nailed it. I had UHaul on board to build some hitches. There was a minimum run of 15. Once the price was set at $350 per it was crickets. I wasted too much time working with them just to be made a fool. The guy I was working with is a NAXJA SoCal member, InlandZJ.

I have a hitch now so if y'all want one you either have to pay to play or keep an eye on the junk yards.

Everyone is going to drop out of this when the manufacturer comes back with a $400/hitch...

For $400 I can make my own...

$400 for a hitch, even by reese that's too much, i'd go trough the trouble of makin my own for that price, $250 yeah, $350, maybe...

... I had UHaul on board to build some hitches. There was a minimum run of 15. Once the price was set at $350 per it was crickets...

Hypothetically thinking, figure an unpainted unit that'd be shipped right to your door. If there was to be a short run produced what would an acceptable price be?

Drawings have been made.  Take them to a metal shop and have two plates made.  Then, go to a JY and pull a receiver from a wide base truck/van.  Cut the bar to the proper length for the MJ and weld the two plates you had made on it.  (or, am I missing something?)

This is what I plan on doing. Only thing I found at a small local yard was off an Expedition. There's scrap steel in the shop back at school I plan on using for the plates, and will likely make them there. I'll keep y'all updated on the project if you want.

Everyone is going to drop out of this when the manufacturer comes back with a $400/hitch...

>For $400 I can make my own...

$400 for a hitch, even by reese that's too much, i'd go trough the trouble of makin my own for that price, $250 yeah, $350, maybe...

... I had UHaul on board to build some hitches. There was a minimum run of 15. Once the price was set at $350 per it was crickets...

Hypothetically thinking, figure an unpainted unit that'd be shipped right to your door. If there was to be a short run produced what would an acceptable price be?

like i said, an acceptable price for me would be no more than 350, i could build one for less than that but the 350 i'm figurin labor, materials, workers gotta get paid so,

Redwolf

Well I just sent out a quote request for Oly4X4.com to make a hitch for our trucks. I explained our club here and to see if he could do anything for us. I'll keep everyone updated. I know we have the print and can just take it to a shop to get it fabricated but if we get enough people to participate then the price shouldnt be bad.

Well I just sent out a quote request for Oly4X4.com to make a hitch for our trucks. I explained our club here and to see if he could do anything for us. I'll keep everyone updated. I know we have the print and can just take it to a shop to get it fabricated but if we get enough people to participate then the price shouldnt be bad.

agreed, i'm also seein more and more MJs in my area with no hitches, maybe if enough of us do get a hitch company to make em again they'll keep em on the market again  :dunno:

Redwolf

They both bolt to the rear bumper mounting location on the SIDE of the MJ frame.

Apparently there was a hitch company out there (Husky?) that made an MJ-compatible hitch that bolted to the BOTTOM of the frame.  If that is true, it would only work on a LWB.

Regardless, the side-mount hitches (more common) are universal between LWB and SWB.

They both bolt to the rear bumper mounting location on the SIDE of the MJ frame.

Apparently there was a hitch company out there (Husky?) that made an MJ-compatible hitch that bolted to the BOTTOM of the frame.  If that is true, it would only work on a LWB.

Regardless, the side-mount hitches (more common) are universal between LWB and SWB.

My Hidden Hitch mounts to the bottom.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/35828-did-i-get-the-correct-hitch/

i'd rather find one made for a MJ or that'll atleast mount up to one,

Redwolf

If I decide to purchase a new bumper I will probably sell my hitch.  If you'd be interested in it, drop me a line.

thanks, when and if ya decide and i haven't made for found a hitch by then i'll deffently be interested :)

Redwolf

PM sent

Reese Adj class 3 - - - $110 & Tax @ AutoZone - - - http://econtent.autozone.com:24999/znetcs/psb/en_US/2/0/489/resn37042.pdf

May be worth looking into

:wrench:

I did look into multi-fits, but couldn't find anything in a class III going for less than $150 up here. And on top of that, they would all require some slight modifications anyway. The hitch I pulled off the expedition cost me $50, will only be one piece, and (though I haven't test fit it yet) it looks like I can just cut the welds on the brackets, trim them down, drill a few holes, weld them back on, and bolt it up. But we'll see. I've only done a small amount of measurement and guesswork, so I may end up making new brackets anyway.

I'm just about to cut out the brackets for my hitch, but before I do, does the hitch mount under or over the bumper brackets?

I feel like it would be better/stronger to have the hitch right up against the frame (probably doesn't really matter) but with the bumper bolting to the outside of its brackets, I don't think there's room for even a 1/4" plate between them. But the bumper brackets have a weird bubble thing (of unknown purpose) that would prevent bolting the hitch flat to them. Guess that's what spacers previously mentioned are for?

Also, the bumper brackets have four bolts in them, so I'm planning on incorporating that bolt into the hitch brackets, even though the simulations I ran in SolidWorks show very little stress on that last bolt.