Receiver Hitch

found this hitch online, says it fits an 86 MJ but lookin at on that was on an MJ it looks nothin like the one i saw, did i miss somethin when i looked at the one on the MJ i saw? also what other vehicles could i pull a hitch off of and slap right up too my MJ other than another MJ?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing/Front-Mount-Receiver.aspx?t_c=67&t_s=59&t_pt=3390&t_pn=DRA65009

Redwolf

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a front hitch.

Only thing you'll be able to "slap right on" from another vehicle will be another MJ. Nothing else will have the exact same frame width or same bolt up locations. Hitches are extremely simple in design though, make one up yourself if you can or take your rig to a fabrication shop and tell them what you want. Should be relatively cheap. A friend offered to make me one for my Gladiator for only the cost of materials and a pack of cold ones.

Well first off it should say. Like that link you posted clearly says "Front Mount Receiver".

Also explains why it says it will fit the XJ and MJ. If it was a rear end one it will only fit one or the other since the rear ends are very different.

Well first off it should say. Like that link you posted clearly says "Front Mount Receiver".

Also explains why it says it will fit the XJ and MJ. If it was a rear end one it will only fit one or the other since the rear ends are very different.

i didn't see where it said front mount, but again, how do i tell the difference, i plan on headin out to the junkyard this weekend and lookin for one, so what kinda mountin "style" am i lookin for and what could i pull a receiver off of that fits a MJ?

Redwolf

i didn't see where it said front mount, but again, how do i tell the difference, i plan on headin out to the junkyard this weekend and lookin for one, so what kinda mountin "style" am i lookin for and what could i pull a receiver off of that fits a MJ?

Redwolf

when you click your link ... it's right there in big bold blue letters ... on the right of the picture of the receiver. FRONT MOUNT RECEIVER ... also says in the descrition, the catalog header, the item details, not sure how one can miss that.

Redwolf

when you click your link ... it's right there in big bold blue letters ... on the right of the picture of the receiver. FRONT MOUNT RECEIVER ... also says in the descrition, the catalog header, the item details, not sure how one can miss that.

i see it now  :doh: my eyes go from picture to price lol

Redwolf

Redwolf

The only hitch from a junkyard that will fit an MJ will be off an MJ. Anything else will have to be modified.

With all due respect, you have more important things to be fixing on your MJ before you start worrying about a tow hitch. As the teacher said to Cain in that old TV series ("Kung Fu") about the Chinese martial arts guy, "Make haste slowly, Grasshopper."

Redwolf

The only hitch from a junkyard that will fit an MJ will be off an MJ. Anything else will have to be modified.

With all due respect, you have more important things to be fixing on your MJ before you start worrying about a tow hitch. As the teacher said to Cain in that old TV series ("Kung Fu") about the Chinese martial arts guy, "Make haste slowly, Grasshopper."

everything is fixed for now (knock on wood) the only thing i haven't fixed yet that just happen is the radio goin in and out on FM, i got CDs to fix that lol :D

Redwolf

everything is fixed for now (knock on wood) the only thing i haven't fixed yet that just happen is the radio goin in and out on FM, i got CDs to fix that lol :D

Redwolf

Everything is fixed? The parking brake fixed itself since you posted this morning that it releases itself? You've popped the cover off the differential and changed the gear lube? You've drained the transmission and replaced the lubricant in that? You've flushed the cooling system and put in new anti-freeze? You've inspected the rubber flex hoses in the braking system to see if they're cracked?

You have a 25-year old vehicle. You can't just hop into a 25-year old vehicle and drive it as if it were a new car you just drove off the dealer's lot.

What about the 20 miles of vacuum line on that shoddy little engine? Or should we just list the engine itself as something that needs "fixed"? lol

So glad all mine was already done before I got this thing, and half of it was removed since it no longer has a carb. Of course nothing else on the thing was taken care of so the worst part about an '86 is actually the thing that's in the best shape on mine.  :doh:

Redwolf

Everything is fixed? The parking brake fixed itself since you posted this morning that it releases itself? You've popped the cover off the differential and changed the gear lube? You've drained the transmission and replaced the lubricant in that? You've flushed the cooling system and put in new anti-freeze? You've inspected the rubber flex hoses in the braking system to see if they're cracked?

You have a 25-year old vehicle. You can't just hop into a 25-year old vehicle and drive it as if it were a new car you just drove off the dealer's lot.

i've replased all my breaks lines when they all failed for inspection, changed the tranny oil when i changed the clutch, still gotta buy gear oil for the diff, and still gotta by anti-freeze before fall, other than that and my annoyin issue with the parkin break everything is fixed engine and performance wise :D

Redwolf

I hunted for months before finding my MJ-specific hitch.  I have now had it for at least 6 months and never got around to installing it.  I found the original hardware list through the manufacturer and bought all new hardware and still have not found time to mount it up.

I hunted for months before finding my MJ-specific hitch.  I have now had it for at least 6 months and never got around to installing it.  I found the original hardware list through the manufacturer and bought all new hardware and still have not found time to mount it up.

but it's held my 6 bolts, 3 on each side right?

Redwolf

Redwolf

Yes.  You can BARELY see them in the picture here:

I candy-caned one of the stock bolts that has to come out to mount the hitch and gave up at that point until the weather was better and I had more time...the weather improved but I never made more time.

Are we beating a dead horse here?

This topic has been covered long before.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/26626-receiver-hitch/?hl=receiver+hitch

Drawings have been made.  Take them to a metal shop and have two plates made.  Then, go to a JY and pull a receiver from a wide base truck/van.  Cut the bar to the proper length for the MJ and weld the two plates you had made on it.  (or, am I missing something?)

Redwolf

I candy-caned one of the stock bolts that has to come out to mount the hitch and gave up at that point until the weather was better and I had more time...the weather improved but I never made more time.

That looks like an XJ-specific hitch, not an MJ.

MJ hitch sideplates mount up to the framerail like so:

Drawings have been made.  Take them to a metal shop and have two plates made.  Then, go to a JY and pull a receiver from a wide base truck/van.  Cut the bar to the proper length for the MJ and weld the two plates you had made on it.  (or, am I missing something?)

Not everyone has the tools and resources to do that.

Redwolf

That looks like an XJ-specific hitch, not an MJ.

MJ hitch sideplates mount up to the framerail like so:

I wondered the same thing after I bought it, and even started a thread about it:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/35828-did-i-get-the-correct-hitch/

I later confirmed that the 3 holes per side do line up with frame holes on the MJ, however I broke off one of the bolts that I need to replace to mount it to those 3 holes.

Apparently only Hidden Hitch used that mounting configuration.  Some time soon I hope to either utilize the holes put there by Hidden Hitch or to actually drill the side-mount holes used by other hitches and mount it the way most brands mount. 

The flanges actually line up properly with the outside of the frame in the same manner as the mounting flanges form other brands of hitches, however they are not drilled to mount that way.

Redwolf

never seen hitches bolted like that, i i've seen em like the only below

didn't see that thread when i searched this, this was the first thread that came up that was alone my issue, and like wombat said, not everyone has the resource or tools to do that, i could weld it, maybe even cut it but i'd rather find one made for a MJ or that'll atleast mount up to one,

Redwolf

I wondered the same thing after I bought it, and even started a thread about it:

I later confirmed that the 3 holes per side do line up with frame holes on the MJ, however I broke off one of the bolts that I need to replace to mount it to those 3 holes.

Apparently only Hidden Hitch used that mounting configuration.  Some time soon I hope to either utilize the holes put there by Hidden Hitch or to actually drill the side-mount holes used by other hitches and mount it the way most brands mount. 

The flanges actually line up properly with the outside of the frame in the same manner as the mounting flanges form other brands of hitches, however they are not drilled to mount that way.

Interesting.  I'm guessing this is for longbeds only?

I understand not have the resources.  I cannot weld anything, but I know how to find people/businesses that do that.

Receiver hitches for MJ are harder to find than needles in haystacks.

It just seems to me that if you cannot buy it or find it, then (have someone) make it from pieces lying around.

My 2 cents.

Interesting.  I'm guessing this is for longbeds only?

could be, but i've never seen a shortbed with a hitch

Redwolf