Comanche Specs

icon1.gif Comanche stock specs
Common Design

All MJs were built as a full unibody design with the body and frame rails tied/welded together as one piece and cannot be removed, however, the rear is a fully boxed frame with the bed bolted to it, making the bed removable. All MJs have solid axles front and rear. The suspension consists of coils for the front and leaf springs for the rear. All MJs came with disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear.

Also, all MJ's through all years are equipped with a height sensing proportioning valve that is used to change the bias of the brakes if the bed had a load in it.

For those curious to the differences in Cherokee's and Comanche's:

The taillight lenses are different from a Cherokee's, the wheel flares are the same (as a 2dr Cherokee), hoods are swappable from 84-92 models Cherokee's (Cherokee's above 92 used spring-loaded hinges), and all mechanical/electronic parts forward of the firewall ARE identical.

Body

The body comes only in standard cab model with a rear double-top hatch tailgate. Comes in longbed or shortbeds two-tone versions. Long bed versions come with a larger gas tank than the short bed and is located front of the axle. Short bed version was not avaiable in 1986.

Interior: Door panels are removable as stock. Bench seats and bucket seats DO NOT have the same mounting brackets as XJ seats. Gauge cluster is removed by 4 screws. Gauge cluster during 86' have mechanical-powered gauges. On 87-90 gauges, The speedometer uses a cable, but all gauges 91-92 use a computer cable.

Wheelbase:

Short Bed 2wd=113.1 4wd=112.9 (18 gal tank)
Long Bed 2wd=119.6 4wd=119.4 (16 gal [longbed, opt shortbed] 23.5 gal [opt longbed; standard from 1989)

Dimensions:

Overall length was 179.3" for shortbeds, 194.0" for longbeds
Overall curb height was 63.7" for 2wds, 64.7" for 4wds
Track width was 57" with the 15x6 rims, 58" with the 15x8s
Body width at the rear flares was 71.7"
Length of inside of box at the floor was 73.7" sb and 88.5" lb
Width of box at the floor is 55.3" for both sb and lb
Width between wheel wells is 43.8"
Box depth is 16.4"

Engines

2.5L I4 TBI (fuel injected) - 117 hp @ 5000 rpm, 135 ftlb @ 3500 rpm - used in 86 and updated in 87-90 to 121hp (2.5L became MPI in 91 and was rated for 130hp @ 5250 and 149 ftlb @ 3250)

GM 2.8L V6 - 115 hp @ 4800 rpm, 145 ft lb @ 2400 rpm - used only in 86

Italian VM 2.8L Turbo Diesel - 140 hp, 236 ft lb torque - used in overseas MJs

2.1L 4 cylinder Turbo Diesel - 85 hp, 132 ft lb torque.

4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech" - 177 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4000 rpm - used 87-90
4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO" (High Output) - 190 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm - used in 91-92

Transmissions

Manual Transmissions
AX4 - 4 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used 86-92 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines and 2.8L turbo-diesels
T4 & T5 - 4 & 5 speed manual - manufactured by Borg Warner - used only in 86 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines
AX5 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 2.8L V6 and 87+ with 2.5L I4
AX15 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 4.0L I6 engines

Automatic Transmissions
Torqueflight 904 - 3 speed automatic - used only in 86 with 2.8L V6 and 2.5L I4 engines and 2.8L turbo-diesels
AW4 - 4 speed automatic, electronically controlled - manufactured by Aisin - used from 87-92 (87-92 models include a Power/Comfort button that adjusts the shift points, also known as a towing package; all transmissions came with the towing package and came with a transmission cooler; 88+ models used Power/Comfort switch for off-roading)

Transfer Cases

The transfer cases used are all chain driven with aluminum housings. NP stands for "New Process" which is the brand, if you will.
NP207 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.61:1 ratio low range - used 86
NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L - used 87-92
NP228 - "Select-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.6:1 ratio low range - used 86
NP242 - "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-92

Driveshafts

Front Driveshaft - On 86-87 MJs (NP207 t-case) the front shaft is a "GKN" style shaft. On 87-92 MJs (NP231/242 t-case) the front is a "double cardan" two-piecedriveshaft with a CV joint at the transfer case end.

Rear Driveshaft - The rear is a one-piece shaft with standard u-joints at both ends. The slip yoke is located on the output shaft of the transfer case. On 86-92 models, the yoke slides in and out of the transfer case and is lubricated by the ATF fluid internally.

Axles

Front Axles
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 86-92 (all axles are vacuum disconnect, and have 5-260x u-joints)

Rear Axles
AMC-20 - 29 Spline, one piece axle shafts, 8.875" Ring Gear; Metric Tonne axle in 86.
Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 86-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 89-92
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some, (not all) MJs equipped with towing package.
(note for D44's: All MJ's equipped with the stock D44 come with the Metric Ton Package)

All rear axles are made of a spring under axle design.

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

Cooling Systems

Open style - any normal cooling system used today. Opposite of closed style described below.

Closed style - has no radiator cap and utilizes a pressure bottle. This style cooling system was used in 87-90 MJs and XJs.

Airbags

No airbags during Comanche timeline.

Trim Levels

86 - Custom, X, XLS
87 - Base, Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, SporTruck
88 - Base, Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, Eliminator, SporTruck
89 - Base, Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, Eliminator, SporTruck
90 - Base, Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, Eliminator, SporTruck
91 - Base, Laredo, Eliminator, SporTruck
92 - Base, Laredo, Eliminator, SporTruck

Production Numbers

MJ (4x4 only)

SWB/LWB
1986 23,251/xxxxx
1987 6,199/6,685
1988 6,895/9,167
1989 5,354/5,021
1990 3,283/2,129
1991 5,188 (TOTAL)
1992 3,142 (TOTAL)

There are a few errors in there. Not all Dana 30s are vacuum disconnect. Not all trucks with a factory Dana 44 have the Metric Ton package. A Dana 44 could be had all the way up to 92. And the Pioneer was also available in 91 and 92. Those are the ones that I noticed anyways. :)

Possible there are errors....i did not compile the list.....but somebody knowledgeable did.

Please give me an example of a pre-92 D30 that is not vacuum disconnect? as well as you should possibly re-read the line about the 44's

I believe you are correct about the pioneer being available till '92  :thumbsup:

And for you and the mods and admin by all means lets get this list as up to date and accurate as possible so it can be a quick reference for newbs and greybeards at any time

. :thumbsup:

Just to let you know, I'm not being a jerk here. I'm actually trying to be helpful. :)

There was no vacuum disconnect in 1992. By most accounts, the vacuum disconnect was discontinued in 1991.

(note for D44's: All MJ's equipped with the stock D44 come with the Metric Ton Package) Is this the one I should re-read?

As this sentence is written, it is not correct. This makes it sound as if all MJs with a factory Dana 44 had the Metric Ton package. It should be written as "All MJs with the Metric Ton package came with a Dana 44". Or "All MJs came equipped with a Dana 44 if the Metric Ton package was ordered".

all great info, i do believe in 86 they did use speedo cables cause i have one under my seat goin straight to my tranny, this may not all my currect or accurate but lets try to get it as close as we can and maybe repost this when we get it all right  :thumbsup:  :idea:  :D

Redwolf

all great info, i do believe in 86 they did use speedo cables cause i have one under my seat goin straight to my tranny, this may not all my currect or accurate but lets try to get it as close as we can and maybe repost this when we get it all right  :thumbsup:  :idea:  :D

Redwolf

:agree:   :thumbsup:

Any 1987 through 1991 XJ with Selec-Trac (the NP242 transfer case) did not have a front axle disconnect.

And, once gain, the rear flares from a 2-door Cherokee will NOT (repeat ... WILL NOT) fit a Comanche. The Comanche rear wheel arches are both longer and taller than the Cherokee.

Engine specs for the 87-90 4.0L are incorrect.

4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech" - 177 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4000 rpm - used 87-90

There are three (or four) “generations” of the 4.0L engine. The “first generation” was introduced in the 1987 model  year. This version used a Renault/Bendix (“Renix”) designed, multi-port fuel injection system. The original 1987 model was rated at 173 horsepower at 4,750 RPM and 220 foot-pounds of torque at 2,000 RPM. The horsepower rating for this version was raised to 177 horsepower at 4,750 RPM and 224 foot-pounds of torque at 2,400 RPM for model years 1988 through 1990.

The “second generation” of the 4.0-liter engine was introduced in the 1991 model year. Designated the “HO” version (for “High Output”), this version was equipped with a completely new multi-port injection system of Chrysler design and manufacture. This version eliminated both the knock sensor and the EGR valve from the Renix system. Sources disagree regarding camshaft design. Some sources suggest that the HO version used a new camshaft of “split” design (intake and exhaust lobes having different durations), while other sources indicate that the camshaft remained the same. The result of the various improvements was that this version of the engine was rated at 190 horsepower at 4,750 RPM and 225 foot-pounds of torque at 3,950 RPM.

The “third generation” 4.0-liter engine: In 1996 DaimlerChrysler again revised the electronic engine controls, to comply with a Federal mandate to make all vehicles OBD-II compliant. The horsepower rating for the 4.0-liter engine remained unchanged at 190 horsepower at a slightly lower 4,600 RPM, but the torque peak RPM was lowered, to 225 foot-pounds at 3,000 RPM. An additional running change was introduced in the Grand Cherokee in model year 1999 and in the Cherokee for model year 2000: the single ignition coil was eliminated and ignition was handled by a coil rail system, in which each spark plug has a dedicated coil mounted to a rail directly at the spark plugs. This arrangement eliminates the high voltage spark plug wires of older (“conventional”) ignition systems. The author considers this to be a variant of the “third generation.” However, it can be argued that the change is sufficiently significant that the 2000 and 2001 (and 1999 Grand Cherokee) 4.0-liter engine should be considered to be the “fourth generation” of the design. This version produced incrementally more power than the preceding version: 193 horsepower at 4,600 RPM and 231 foot-pounds of torque at 3,000 RPM.

And, once gain, the rear flares from a 2-door Cherokee will NOT (repeat ... WILL NOT) fit a Comanche. The Comanche rear wheel arches are both longer and taller than the Cherokee.

To add to this, the rear flares from both 2DR and 4DR XJs are identical. How did this 2DR XJ rear flare misinformation start?

To the OP, understand your intentions were good making this post, and there's some good info there. No one is picking on you; just making sure the information is factual.  :thumbsup:

icon1.gif Comanche stock specs

Interior: Door panels are removable as stock. Bench seats and bucket seats DO NOT have the same mounting brackets as XJ seats.

Transmissions

Manual Transmissions

AX4 - 4 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used 86-92 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines and 2.8L turbo-diesels

T4 & T5 - 4 & 5 speed manual - manufactured by Borg Warner - used only in 86 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines

AX5 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 2.8L V6 and 87+ with 2.5L I4

AX15 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 4.0L I6 engines

Peugeot BA-10/5 is not listed

Automatic Transmissions

AW4 - 4 speed automatic, electronically controlled - manufactured by Aisin - used from 87-92 (87-92 models include a Power/Comfort button that adjusts the shift points, also known as a towing package; all transmissions came with the towing package and came with a tansmission cooler; 88+ models used Power/Comfort switch for off-roading)

The power/comfort switch was there from the very beginning of the AW4 in 1987. It disappeard in 1991 with the HO engines with the transmission always in "power" mode.

Transfer Cases

NP242 - "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-92

All the info I have seen points to Selec-Trac not having been an option on the Comanche for 87-92. Optional in 1986 only using the 228.

Front Axles

Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 86-92 (all axles are vacuum disconnect, and have 5-260x u-joints)

I believe the vacuum disconnect disappeared some time during 1991. Also ABS Cherokees always came with the larger u-joints. Was ABS optional in the Comanche as well, or not available?

Rear Axles

Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some, (not all) MJs equipped with towing package.

(note for D44's: All MJ's equipped with the stock D44 come with the Metric Ton Package)

D44 was available through 1992. Came with the towing package, came with the metric-tonne package, or could be optioned separately as "heavy duty rear axle".

Gearing

3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission

4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually

4.10 came with the 2.5L engine with 5 speed overdrive transmission.

2.5L engine with 4 speed manual transmission had 3.55 gears in the axles.

The power/comfort switch was there from the very beginning of the AW4 in 1987. It disappeard in 1991 with the HO engines with the transmission always in "power" mode.

It disappeared in 1992. 91 models still had the switch.

Was ABS optional in the Comanche as well, or not available?

Not available.

Hey guys I am the OP

And by no means is any of this taken as an insult.

I would think it would be great to compile as much of the facts as we can and re-write the specs correctly so they can be a quick helpful guide for all.

:thumbsup:   . :MJ 1: .

Hey guys I am the OP

I would think it would be great to compile as much of the facts as we can and re-write the specs correctly so they can be a quick helpful guide for all.

I think we all agree on that point, so how about you start? You have several corrections you can already make, then we can hash out the finer details as an ongoing project.

I suggest you go to your first post, make the corrections, then let's see where we stand.

:popcorn:

Hey guys I am the OP

I think we all agree on that point, so how about you start? You have several corrections you can already make, then we can hash out the finer details as an ongoing project.

I suggest you go to your first post, make the corrections, then let's see where we stand.

agreed, maybe eventually when it's all currect it could be a pinned topic  :dunno:

Redwolf

Hey guys I am the OP

Yes I will start cleaning it up. 

To be honest I did not realize that you could go back and edit posts.....other forums do not have that option

To be honest I did not realize that you could go back and edit posts.....other forums do not have that option

???

I've never encountered a forum on which you can't go back and edit posts. (Although some do have a time limit, after which editing isn't allowed.)

???

I've never encountered a forum on which you can't go back and edit posts. (Although some do have a time limit, after which editing isn't allowed.)

Yes

• 2 years later...