Tires And Transmissions?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one tooth diff or not, still like to know if there's a way to calabrate my speedo, i'm currently rollin with 225/75/R15s and everyone i know says i do 5 over,

Redwolf

If you're happy/satisfied/done messin' with the drive line/tires & want an accurate & inexpensive fix/Speedo display - - - Note where the speedometer needle is pointing when doing a verified 50, 60, 70 or whatever mph - - note rpm - then photo shop or buy an overlay corrected to actual  - - - - Doin' 75 & needle points at 70 for inst? - - Get/fab overlay matching your other gauges with numbers altered accordingly so needle now points to a 75 at same rpm - - Google & many custom jobbers - 1 r 2 here & on NAXJA as well IIRC - - - just sayin'

:thumbsup:

You will not have the 8.25 and the 30 is a front....is it one of the other 2?   If it is a 44 pat yourself on the back

well it's deffently not the dana 44 :( i wish it was, i'd have soo many tresspassin tickets and whatever follows for tearin up an empty field :D it honestly looks like either the 8,25, 30 or 35, i'll have to look when the ground aint wet or when i have sun light,

Redwolf

one tooth diff or not, still like to know if there's a way to calabrate my speedo, i'm currently rollin with 225/75/R15s and everyone i know says i do 5 over,

Redwolf

If you're happy/satisfied/done messin' with the drive line/tires & want an accurate & inexpensive fix/Speedo display - - - Note where the speedometer needle is pointing when doing a verified 50, 60, 70 or whatever mph - - note rpm - then photo shop or buy an overlay corrected to actual  - - - - Doin' 75 & needle points at 70 for inst? - - Get/fab overlay matching your other gauges with numbers altered accordingly so needle now points to a 75 at same rpm - - Google & many custom jobbers - 1 r 2 here & on NAXJA as well IIRC - - - just sayin'

:thumbsup:

i've thought bout that but bein that i'm slowly restorin my MJ i wanna do it the right way,

Redwolf

well later i plan on tryin the test again, i don't even know what diff i have, everyone i talk to says dana 35 but i'm not buyin that,

Redwolf

Why not?

The Dana 44 was not an option in 1986. The heavy-duty axle in 1986 was the AMC Model 20. The diff cover on the AMC 20 is perfectly round, and it's HUGE. I seriously doubt that you have an AMC 20 axle.

axle_m20_3.jpg

http://www.drivetrainshop.com/AMC_Model_20_s/115.htm

Unless you have a very heavy foot, the Dana 35 isn't as bad as some people claim. My '88 XJ has 287,000 miles on the original Dana 35 rear axle. It has been wheeled at Paragon, on various trails in the Mohawk Trail region of western Massachusetts (including Old Florida Road), on power line trails in Rhode Island, and on various fire roads in northern New Mexico.

My '88 MJ also has a Dana 35, with the TrueTrac limited slip. It has also been all over Paragon, the Pine Barrens in New Jersey, and the power line trail in Rhode Island. If you don't hammer it, it'll be nice to you if you're nice to it.

I see this has been a waste of time fore all that tried to help you

it is a D35

^Unless someone swapped it out, then its a 35. 8.25's are not stock in mjs, and a dana 30 is a front axle, so if you have a rear dana 30 you would have all wheel steer or bigger issues. As for a 44, pretty sure they only used the amc20 in 86, and not the 44. 

Deductive reasoning and little bit of knowledge=Dana 35.

i gotta question, i can't tell what type of tranny i have i know it's a 5 speed manual with an extornally mounted clutch slave cylinder but i don't know if it's a T4, T5, AX 4 OR AX 5, it doesn't have 4 wheel drive, is there any way to id what it is? also could the 2.8 v6 with the 5speed manual tranny handle 235/75/R15 tires, i currently have 225/75/R15 and got a nice set of 235s in my back yard, also would they rub anywhere?

Redwolf

That tire size change is inconsequential and will work just fine. You are only expanding the size a quarter inch in any direction. Whether the 2.8 can turn them is another matter....  :crossfingers:  :banana:

it should turn em it a 2.5 can,

Redwolf

It'll turn em, but not well. Just because the 2.8 makes 160hp on paper, does not mean it does in real life. And as far as your transmission goes, a magnet will work, yes, but unless it was stored inside and climate controlled it will be rusted like in the picture,and that tells you its a steel divider and not aluminum, because aluminum does not rust.

i can't tell if my tranny is rusty or not, there's that much greese and stuff on it, but if it is a steel tranny it's an ax5 right?

then i gotta be doin the test wrong cause that's what i came up with  :???:

Redwolf

Your trans won't be steel. It will have a steel DIVIDER in it, like the picture I posted. The only rusty spot you see on the transmission is the steel divider. And yes, if it has a steel divider, it is the AX5.

i'll take pictures of the tranny and the diff later today, probably before it gets covered in mud :D i'm fairly new to the vehicle world in general so i don't know what what is i just know what it's general name is called i can never tell what kind though like diffs and trannys,

Redwolf

i'll take pictures of the tranny and the diff later today, probably before it gets covered in mud :D i'm fairly new to the vehicle world in general so i don't know what what is i just know what it's general name is called i can never tell what kind though like diffs and trannys,

Redwolf

Then how can you be so certain that all of us, who DO know something about these vehicles, are wrong when we tell you that your rear axle is almost certainly a Dana 35 and that your transmission is almost certainly an AX-5?

Redwolf

Then how can you be so certain that all of us, who DO know something about these vehicles, are wrong when we tell you that your rear axle is almost certainly a Dana 35 and that your transmission is almost certainly an AX-5?

cause in all the pictures i've seen of the AX 5 my transmission doesn't look like one, never seen a picture of a T5 though but i can't really tell just from the bottom view of the tranny i do have, i'm not doubtin yall and sayin yall are wrong but there are many possible options that it could be, just wanna weight em all out and my diff looks like the dana 30 or dana 35, i can not tell the difference

This kid is not looking for help (or he would post pics to help himself)

This is what is known on the inter-web as a troll post

He is just playing

:doh:

troll? no, i am lookin for help if i wasn't i wouldn't post anything on CC, i've been out all day and havent had the time to take pictures of my tranny or diff

This is stock with 235/75/15

This is stock rear, 1.75" BB up front and 31/10.5/15

Image Not Found

And yes that's the same truck. lol

that looks sweet!!

Redwolf

cause in all the pictures i've seen of the AX 5 my transmission doesn't look like one, never seen a picture of a T5 though but i can't really tell just from the bottom view of the tranny i do have, i'm not doubtin yall and sayin yall are wrong but there are many possible options that it could be, just wanna weight em all out and my diff looks like the dana 30 or dana 35, i can not tell the difference

Redwolf

No, there are not many possible options it could be. If it's a 5-speed, it can ONLY be an AX-5 or a T-5, and the likelihood of a 1986 XJ or MJ having a T-5 transmission is very close to 0.00000000001. The T-5 was an alternate standard transmission when XJ production was first ramping up -- which was in late 1983 for the introductory 1984 model. By the time the 1986 model year came around, they had the supply stream pretty well normalized.

For rear axle, again there are only two possible choices (unless a previous owner swapped it): A dana 35, or an AMC Model 20. The Model 20 is immediately obvious, because the cover is perfectly round, and it's HUGE. I posted a photo of one above. If your differential doesn't have a perfectly round cover ... it's a Dana 35.

You can't have a Dana 30 in the rear, because it's only used for the front axle. Seriously -- look at post #51 -- you can't tell the difference between an oval and shape that's nearly square?

It's about at the end of the day ... where are those pictures you were going to take today?

Redwolf

No, there are not many possible options it could be. If it's a 5-speed, it can ONLY be an AX-5 or a T-5, and the likelihood of a 1986 XJ or MJ having a T-5 transmission is very close to 0.00000000001. The T-5 was an alternate standard transmission when XJ production was first ramping up -- which was in late 1983 for the introductory 1984 model. By the time the 1986 model year came around, they had the supply stream pretty well normalized.

For rear axle, again there are only two possible choices (unless a previous owner swapped it): A dana 35, or an AMC Model 20. The Model 20 is immediately obvious, because the cover is perfectly round, and it's HUGE. I posted a photo of one above. If your differential doesn't have a perfectly round cover ... it's a Dana 35.

You can't have a Dana 30 in the rear, because it's only used for the front axle. Seriously -- look at post #51 -- you can't tell the difference between an oval and shape that's nearly square?

It's about at the end of the day ... where are those pictures you were going to take today?

just took em, lookin at the picture of my diff side by side to that list of diffs i can see the dana 35 now, i never noticed the indent on the right side of the diff cover,

Redwolf

Your transmission is an AX5. 

See whats circled in red? That would be a rusted, steel spacer in the transmission. It CANNOT be a T5 because they are all aluminum.

Anther picture of a clean ax5, off the chance you still doubt it:

Spin your tires and count it out. My 2.8/ax5/d35 truck has 4.10s. I would imagine yours does as well, but being an 86 where nothing was really controlled by sub models, it could be anything.

This is stock with 235/75/15

This is stock rear, 1.75" BB up front and 31/10.5/15

Image Not Found

And yes that's the same truck. lol

Also, nice bodywork zack, truck looks great!

Spin your tires and count it out. My 2.8/ax5/d35 truck has 4.10s. I would imagine yours does as well, but being an 86 where nothing was really controlled by sub models, it could be anything.

guess i gotta do that test again, would speed of turnin the feel contribute to the speed the drive shaft moves?

Redwolf

guess i gotta do that test again, would speed of turnin the feel contribute to the speed the drive shaft moves?

Redwolf

Ok I will play.....yes the speed of the tires would "contribute" to the speed the drive shaft turns.....as they are linked by your diff.

if you will not believe anything posted here.....believe your own eyes....take off the diff cover and find the number stamped on the big gear inside......done deal no more guessing as the answer will truly be written in steel.....

. :MJ 1: .

Redwolf

Ok I will play.....yes the speed of the tires would "contribute" to the speed the drive shaft turns.....as they are linked by your diff.

if you will not believe anything posted here.....believe your own eyes....take off the diff cover and find the number stamped on the big gear inside......done deal no more guessing as the answer will truly be written in steel.....

. :MJ 1: .

once again, i never said i don't believe yall, i just wanted to weight out the options that everything could have been, yall have all guessed 3 different gear ratios that i could have, i've done the spinin wheel test and got all 3 gear ratios, and the way of countin the teeth as explained is a bit confusin with the whole divistion math thing, i now understand the tranny and diff types but countin the teeth i still don't understand,

Redwolf

once again, i never said i don't believe yall, i just wanted to weight out the options that everything could have been, yall have all guessed 3 different gear ratios that i could have, i've done the spinin wheel test and got all 3 gear ratios, and the way of countin the teeth as explained is a bit confusin with the whole divistion math thing, i now understand the tranny and diff types but countin the teeth i still don't understand,

Redwolf

You don't have to count anything. Remove the rear diff cover. The large gear with its edge facing you is the ring gear. Rotate it slowly -- there will be a pair of numbers stamped into the flat surface of the edge. One number is the number of teeth on the ring gear, the small number is the number of teeth on the pinion gear. Divide the larger number by the smaller number and that IS your gear ratio.

Here's an example:

Ring_Gear_Numbers.jpg

Looks like the numbers in this photo are 46 and 13, so 46 divided by 13 would be 3.5385 ... which rounds off to 3.54.

And, just for the record, you very clearly DID say you don't believe us:

well later i plan on tryin the test again, i don't even know what diff i have, everyone i talk to says dana 35 but i'm not buyin that,

That looks sweet!!

Redwolf

Thanks man, the 31's kinda suck in town with 3.07 but on the highway it ain't too bad.

Also, nice bodywork Zack, truck looks great!

Lol if by good bodywork you mean, getting a new bed (with much less rust), new fenders, and 2x4 for the rockers then yes thanks I did do a good job. :D I really didnt do much body work, it was more like replacement work. ;)

Lol if by good bodywork you mean, getting a new bed (with much less rust), new fenders, and 2x4 for the rockers then yes thanks I did do a good job. :D I really didnt do much body work, it was more like replacement work. ;)

Eh, still counts! Wish i could find a clean bed around here...all of em are beat to hell and back.

Redwolf

You don't have to count anything. Remove the rear diff cover. The large gear with its edge facing you is the ring gear. Rotate it slowly -- there will be a pair of numbers stamped into the flat surface of the edge. One number is the number of teeth on the ring gear, the small number is the number of teeth on the pinion gear. Divide the larger number by the smaller number and that IS your gear ratio.

Here's an example:

Ring_Gear_Numbers.jpg

Looks like the numbers in this photo are 46 and 13, so 46 divided by 13 would be 3.5385 ... which rounds off to 3.54.

And, just for the record, you very clearly DID say you don't believe us:

>well later i plan on tryin the test again, i don't even know what diff i have, everyone i talk to says dana 35 but i'm not buyin that,

thanks for the example that clears it all up, is there any maitnece i could do to the diff while i have the cover off? and the only reason i was not buyin my diff bein a dana 35 is because i didn't notice the indent in the side, dana 30 and 35 look the same to me at first glance but now that i know what i'm lookin for as far as differences go i understand,

Redwolf