Tires And Transmissions?

ok well before i start gettin into all that math, how do i find out my gear ratio, all i know bout my MJ is it has a 2.8 v6, 5 speed manual and it's 2WD, i have no info sticker on the doors, i only got the tire pressure info sticker in the glove box and the cadalatic converter sticker inside the door, i have no idea what axle i have, what type of tranny weather it be AX5, AX4 and so on,

Redwolf

I can give some simple advice that will give you some answers.

1) ax4 or ax5........simple answer....is there a 5th gear.....if not ax4 if so go to 2)

2) Now we know it is a 5 speed....2 were available.....lay under the truck and have a look at the tranny.....does it have a thick plate(about 3/4") that seems to separate the front of the trans from the rear? Google a picture of an AX5 or AX15 and you will see the plate I mean. If yes....it is an AX....if no it could (and again I say could) be a BA.

Now to the rear end......A picture here would be helpful......Look on the bolts that hold the rear end cover on.....is there a tag on one of them? 

Now some people would tell you to jack it and rotate the tire and count the drive-shaft revolutions....I would go with the 2 birds with one stone method.......lets do some investigating and maintenance at the same time. Go down to your favorite auto parts store and get 2 quarts (liters) of gear oil (75w 90 ??) and a tube of RV silicone

At home (jack it and put on stands if you don't have the clearance) put a pan under the diff....loosen the bolts pry the pan a bit at the bottom till the fluid runs out then remove the pan.

Now (with a tire or the drive shaft rotate the diff....there will be a number stamped on it write down all you see.

Clean the diff cover (now would be the time to add some paint if you want) apply silicon and reinstall.....let sit for a bit the add your fluid until it reaches the add hole.

Ok now with the numbers.....either post them or just do simple math.....it will not be stamped .....3:73  or  4.10 it will have the numbers of the crown and pinion teeth stamped in....simple division divide the larger by the smaller and that will give your ratio.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a quick look on the web i see that your truck could also have come with a borg warner T5

i posted a great article with all specs call "Comanche Specs" in this form for more info :thumbsup:

ok well before i start gettin into all that math, how do i find out my gear ratio, all i know bout my MJ is it has a 2.8 v6, 5 speed manual and it's 2WD, i have no info sticker on the doors, i only got the tire pressure info sticker in the glove box and the cadalatic converter sticker inside the door, i have no idea what axle i have, what type of tranny weather it be AX5, AX4 and so on,

Redwolf

I can give some simple advice that will give you some answers.

1) ax4 or ax5........simple answer....is there a 5th gear.....if not ax4 if so go to 2)

2) Now we know it is a 5 speed....2 were available.....lay under the truck and have a look at the tranny.....does it have a thick plate(about 3/4") that seems to separate the front of the trans from the rear? Google a picture of an AX5 or AX15 and you will see the plate I mean. If yes....it is an AX....if no it could (and again I say could) be a BA.

Now to the rear end......A picture here would be helpful......Look on the bolts that hold the rear end cover on.....is there a tag on one of them? 

Now some people would tell you to jack it and rotate the tire and count the drive-shaft revolutions....I would go with the 2 birds with one stone method.......lets do some investigating and maintenance at the same time. Go down to your favorite auto parts store and get 2 quarts (liters) of gear oil (75w 90 ??) and a tube of RV silicone

At home (jack it and put on stands if you don't have the clearance) put a pan under the diff....loosen the bolts pry the pan a bit at the bottom till the fluid runs out then remove the pan.

Now (with a tire or the drive shaft rotate the diff....there will be a number stamped on it write down all you see.

Clean the diff cover (now would be the time to add some paint if you want) apply silicon and reinstall.....let sit for a bit the add your fluid until it reaches the add hole.

Ok now with the numbers.....either post them or just do simple math.....it will not be stamped .....3:73  or  4.10 it will have the numbers of the crown and pinion teeth stamped in....simple division divide the larger by the smaller and that will give your ratio.

that's nice to know, i'll deffently have to give that way a try when i have money to blow cause chances are somethin is gonna break when i go to do that, every time i go to inspect somethin fully (takin it apart/off and makin sure it still works) that i have not already replaced and is still stock from 86 it breaks, chances are the diff cover/bolts will break with me doin this, but one day i'll try that,

Redwolf

If the rear axle is a Dana 35, it could break just from looking at it....

AX15 and Peugeot were only available behind the 4.0. So the choices for transmission are AX5 or T5.

yeah, the dana 35 aint that great, my dad's got one in his wrangler, he's waitin for it to break  :yes: as for me, its lookin like i got a T5 after readin the comanche specs topic sayin that AX5 was used in 87 and up,

Redwolf

AX15 and Peugeot were only available behind the 4.0. So the choices for transmission are AX5 or T5.

yeah, the dana 35 aint that great, my dad's got one in his wrangler, he's waitin for it to break  :yes: as for me, its lookin like i got a T5 after readin the comanche specs topic sayin that AX5 was used in 87 and up,

Redwolf

The ax5 was most definately used in 86. because it was behind the 2.5 every year of production. And it was the standard 5spd behind the 2.8 and the 2.1TD. And again, despite what haines says, the t4 and 5 being used in mj's and xj's is only rumor IRL

Redwolf

The ax5 was most definately used in 86. because it was behind the 2.5 every year of production. And it was the standard 5spd behind the 2.8 and the 2.1TD. And again, despite what haines says, the t4 and 5 being used in mj's and xj's is only rumor IRL

ok, well if i could get the part number off my tranny would that be able to sell me what tranny i have weather it's a AX5 or T5?

Redwolf

Redwolf

Your transmission is most likely an AX-5. The T5 was used as a alternate standard mostly in '84 and '85, when there was no Comanche, only the Cherokee. I have never heard of anyone having a T5 in a Comanche.

Redwolf

Your transmission is most likely an AX-5. The T5 was used as a alternate standard mostly in '84 and '85, when there was no Comanche, only the Cherokee. I have never heard of anyone having a T5 in a Comanche.

well tomorrow i'm gonna be under my MJ puttin the clutch slave cylinder back in now that i got the plastic pivot for it, i look for a part number, i could search that number at any autopart store site right?

Redwolf

Just look underneath your jeep at the transmission. If there is a steel divider in the transmission, like below, it is an AX5. The T5 is an all aluminum transmission. 

so the simple way of checkin is with a magnet, if it sticks it's an AX5? 

Redwolf

• 2 weeks later...

finally got around to findin the part number on my transmission, tried searchin it but found nothin, i checked all parts stores and rock auto and got nothin, maybe yall will have luck, the part number on the bottom of the tranny is 0908226

Redwolf

i gotta question, i can't tell what type of tranny i have i know it's a 5 speed manual with an extornally mounted clutch slave cylinder but i don't know if it's a T4, T5, AX 4 OR AX 5, it doesn't have 4 wheel drive, is there any way to id what it is? also could the 2.8 v6 with the 5speed manual tranny handle 235/75/R15 tires, i currently have 225/75/R15 and got a nice set of 235s in my back yard, also would they rub anywhere?

Redwolf

That tire size change is inconsequential and will work just fine. You are only expanding the size a quarter inch in any direction. Whether the 2.8 can turn them is another matter....  :crossfingers:  :banana:

i gotta question, i can't tell what type of tranny i have i know it's a 5 speed manual with an extornally mounted clutch slave cylinder but i don't know if it's a T4, T5, AX 4 OR AX 5, it doesn't have 4 wheel drive, is there any way to id what it is? also could the 2.8 v6 with the 5speed manual tranny handle 235/75/R15 tires, i currently have 225/75/R15 and got a nice set of 235s in my back yard, also would they rub anywhere?

Redwolf

That tire size change is inconsequential and will work just fine. You are only expanding the size a quarter inch in any direction. Whether the 2.8 can turn them is another matter....  :crossfingers:  :banana:

it should turn em it a 2.5 can,

Redwolf

one tooth diff or not, still like to know if there's a way to calabrate my speedo, i'm currently rollin with 225/75/R15s and everyone i know says i do 5 over,

Redwolf

I corrected my original posts as the difference is two teeth. Since the speedometer gears are in the neighborhood of 30 teeth, one tooth more or less makes about a 3% difference. If (I'm assuming at high speed) you're off about 5mph with the 225 tires, then you have a speedometer gear for 205 tires. I run 235 on a truck that had originally 205 and when the speedometer reads 70 I'm actuallly going 75.

Besides changing the speedometer gear (about $60 for the gear, not too difficult to install) there is no calibration possible for the speedometer.

There should be a tag bolted to the diff cover with the ratio stamped in it. Even if the tag is still there it is probably not readable anymore because of 27 years of rust. Alternative way is to shift the transmission into neutral, jack up one rear tire and rotate it by hand 2 turns. If the drive shaft goes around three and a half turns you have  3.55 gears, three and three quarter turns is 3.73 and a bit over four is 4.10. My guess is that you have 4.10 gears, but Eagle seems to think 3.73 is more likely.

i just jacked up the rear end and did the poor mans gear ratio test as i like to call it :P and yall are both wrong, i have 3.55 UNLESS i'm countin wrong, next time i might mark the drive shaft with a sharpie cause i was usin a zip tie also, if the speed you're turnin the tire is fast or slow does that make a difference?

Redwolf

Redwolf

Redwolf

It'll turn em, but not well. Just because the 2.8 makes 160hp on paper, does not mean it does in real life. And as far as your transmission goes, a magnet will work, yes, but unless it was stored inside and climate controlled it will be rusted like in the picture,and that tells you its a steel divider and not aluminum, because aluminum does not rust.

Redwolf

Redwolf

It'll turn em, but not well. Just because the 2.8 makes 160hp on paper, does not mean it does in real life. And as far as your transmission goes, a magnet will work, yes, but unless it was stored inside and climate controlled it will be rusted like in the picture,and that tells you its a steel divider and not aluminum, because aluminum does not rust.

i can't tell if my tranny is rusty or not, there's that much greese and stuff on it, but if it is a steel tranny it's an ax5 right?

3.55 (or 3.54) was the factory ratio for a 4-banger with the AX-4 transmission.

then i gotta be doin the test wrong cause that's what i came up with  :???:

Redwolf

The 2.8L automatics came with 3.73 gears. The 3.54s could easily have been from the factory behind a 5-speed. AMC typically went one step "taller" in gearing behind the 5-speeds than they did with the automatics.

Be sure and do some maintenance at the same time. Remove your diff cover.....there will be numbers on the carrier....or count the teeth....divide the larger number by the smaller. That is your ratio put the cover back on and add new lube.

Now you have your answer  :thumbsup: