H3Resq's Family Wagon Xj Build.....

Well I am casually on the hunt for a clean 00/01 XJ auto, limited preferably but would consider classic/sport with low miles. I plan to transfer everything over from Buffy to the clean XJ and then I guess just sell Buffy with stock axles, t-case and what not.

We will see how it goes, I like this XJ but I am just not the type to drive a beat up rig, nor do I like giving the impression that I don't tread lightly. This XJ has clearly not always treaded lightly....lol.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I spent most of yesterday, and tonight working on the 99 xj I picked up. I pulled the ARB bumper and roof rack. Reinstalled factory front bumper, and re attached the two drivers side factory fender flares that were off as well ( What a pain the factory metal clips are, to do it right you have to remove them completely, attach the flare and then re bolt them to truck. Not awesome when they have been on the rig for years.) I also pulled out drivers seat and re-welded the frame (it had broke around one of the bolts) and completely vacuumed the interior. Cosmetically it was back after this. So then to work on the check engine light. It idled rough and seemed to be missing. I pulled out my OBDII reader (actually I brought it with me when I went to buy it, incase a light came on during test drive, so I knew the code prior to purchase)  and it came up with a cylinder 2 misfire. Went down to autozone, bought a set of plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and a injector after work tonight. Figured start at the plug and work your way from there....well it was a bad plug, so that was about 5 minutes work and returned the injector (went ahead and threw new wires, cap rotor on it to be safe)! The thing runs extremely well (better than buffy to be honest) Auto shifts great. Ran it good tonight to see how it would do and then let it sit at idle for good hour. No overheating, no funny business, Seems to be solid rig. Also noticed it has a brand new alternator on it. Starting to like the $900 purchase price now!!! Had hope that it was something simple but knew it might be a bad piston or something worse case.

Tomorrow I will swap out the IPF lights on it with Buffy (my xj wheeler) and it will be ready to sell. Well.....except I have to wait 6 weeks for the title. So...guess I will have a little parts runner for awhile and continue to tinker with it. (still needs a fan switch, only works on high.  The passenger rear window motor isn't working, may just leave that be though.) I really just plan to put it up around $1500, that's half kkb fair book value (has 163k miles) so it should sell fast and someone will get a good deal.

The ARB bumper is up for sale. The ARB roof rack and IPF lights are going on Buffy. So, pretty happy with the purchase.

If it were a little nicer I might keep it, Its got a couple dents, scuffs, and such but is fairly straight, drives great, has good tires, brakes, etc. So figure it will be a good rig for someone that needs it, that would not be the type to risk a purchase with engine light and rough running as I did.

dude... I wish I could find a 97+ xj for that price. My truck would be swapped start to finish in a matter of weeks. Everything here in SoCal is at least $3k for what you described. And that's without the ARB add-ons. Or in wrecked with a salvage title from a previous wreck. Very nice find

Well we will see, he could not find the title. He had a notarized affidative so we went straight to court house and transferred title. I will know in 4-6 weeks when it arrives if it is actually a clean title. He said it was, but honestly...who knows till I get it. She is a little banged up on the outside, but very clean inside.

dude... I wish I could find a 97+ xj for that price. My truck would be swapped start to finish in a matter of weeks. Everything here in SoCal is at least $3k for what you described. And that's without the ARB add-ons. Or in wrecked with a salvage title from a previous wreck. Very nice find

Can't find any pics of it on the 39's (I'll look through my old school photos and see what I can find. I know I have some) Here it is before the 39's when it was on 37 boggers. These are some old school pics.....

Very nice.  Now I'm highly curious about pics of a Sidekick on 39s.   :thumbsup:

Willy

Well I mentioned earlier that I am looking for a clean XJ to put the Currie axles and Tera kit out of this beat up XJ in. I think I found it...heading this morning on a two hour drive to see if it is what it is said to be.....CLEAN 2001 Jeep Cherokee LIMITED....oh, and its SILVER....so ya, I might be building a XJ twin to sit next to the MJ!!!!!!!!

Well its all coming together. I sold the 99 today and bought this 2001 Limited. I'll start the tear down on Buffy soon to swap the good stuff over to this one. Its gonna be a great MJ and XJ ownership...matching and all!

Wish my 01 was that nice! What are the switches in the ash tray area for?

Facctory heated seat switchs. Limiteds come with Heated leather power seats in the front along with the full length overhead console that has MPG etc in it. This one also has tow package that in 01 included 7 prong plug, and factory transmission cooler. This one also has full skid plate package. Also infinity sound that includes tweeters in corner of front window, look close in last picture.(although still just cassette). Also has lame wood trim and This one also has ABS :(

Mines a limited with cloth seats. I have ABS also. It sucks and is downright dangerous offload or in $#!&ty weather conditions with the t case in full time. I got 269K on mine but you'd never know it! ICONs are probably the best looking stock XJ wheel IMO for a factory 16."

Can't wait to see what you do this one!

Ya...ABS will be gone with the Currie axles. Ya...I love the wheels. I had them on a classic I owned a few years back. Sadly, I am 5x5.5 when Curries go under it so they will have to go. I would love to see them on a 97+ converted MJ. They have fresh Goodyear Wranglers and the matching full size spare. The driver front is only one with curbing and its less than an inch long. They should be easy to sell...

Mines a limited with cloth seats. I have ABS also. It sucks and is downright dangerous offload or in $#!&ty weather conditions with the t case in full time. I got 269K on mine but you'd never know it! ICONs are probably the best looking stock XJ wheel IMO for a factory 16."

Can't wait to see what you do this one!

That should not be a problem, not sure what shipping would be from Wa to you. The front corners are great, the rears are good but do have some scuffs that have been touched up (specifically the passenger rear).  I will be tearing down both bumpers, and will not need them. When you see I have got to that point shoot me a p.m. about them.

hey if your replacing the end caps at any point I maybe interested have a classic the same color and need color matched end caps

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got going on starting to pile up the parts to put the '01 together. Ordered up Hanson Ent. Front bumper, Rear bumper and tire carrier and sliders. I should have them in a couple weeks. Still need to decide on what rear corner guards I want, what route I will go for rear disc brakes on the 9inch, and if I will buy or design the chassis stiffiners. Also, I won a gift certificate for Metal Cloak at the NRR show. I will probably run there front dual rate coils. Still deciding what if any of the old suspension will be used. Need to get a winch as well still, and some other odds and ends. I will probably pile everything up before starting the actual build up...

Front

http://www.hansonoffroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=JXJ1102-P

Rear

http://www.hansonoffroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=JXJRTC-P

Sliders

http://www.hansonoffroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=XJRP-P

Those are very interesting. Nice to get sliders and stiffening all in one.  I plan to go with welded chassis stiffeners/bracing over bolt on ones. I also specifically only considered sliders that bolt directly to the rockers, to keep my clearance at a maximum.

Detours USA makes some pretty great stiffys, don't know if theres a wait time at the moment for his stuff, but if your interested

http://detoursusa.com/xjrokslyders.php

Those are very interesting. Nice to get sliders and stiffening all in one.  I plan to go with welded chassis stiffeners/bracing over bolt on ones. I also specifically only considered sliders that bolt directly to the rockers, to keep my clearance at a maximum.

Detours USA makes some pretty great stiffys, don't know if theres a wait time at the moment for his stuff, but if your interested

http://detoursusa.com/xjrokslyders.php

Hmm..hadn't considered clearance :doh:

Although he offers the stiffys alone in bolt on or weld/bolt, depending on your needs/capabilities. Plan on getting some whenever i get an XJ to toy with..maybe make it match my mj like your doing too  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

My front and rear Hanson bumpers just got done at powdercoat. I'll post up a picture soon. I plan to get them mounted up and then add a couple things to the tire carrier before it goes to powder. Bumpers look great, however the Hanson rock sliders look like they are going to be a real b*@$£ to put on. The pinch seam pieces don't even come close to lining up with the sliders....err.

• 3 weeks later...