'92 Eliminator Resto

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Finally getting back to paying some attention to this little truck. I've been daily driving it for over a year and a half now with zero problems. I rolled and totaled my XJ on a wheeling trip over new years and ended up getting a 2007 4Runner Sport Edition to replace it. That will get daily driver duties now so I can keep the MJ in the garage and actually work on it. And it needs some love.

Poor XJ (invest in a roll cage):

The Replacement:

The MJ failed smog three weeks ago due to high NOx. I'm troubleshooting the problem, but it's kind of a moot point because I'm swapping my 125,000 mile XJ motor into it anyways. Other plans for it include finally getting around to trying to lower it a few inches, fixing the dents on the passenger side and eventually a new paint job and Eliminator body stickers. Gonna swap in a D44 with 3.73 gearing and a trac lock, and freshen up all the suspension and steering joints and bushings as well.

I hope to start updating this thread more frequently with pics and questions, I WILL have some questions for the gurus when it come time to swap the motor over.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I stopped dicking around and ordered the clutch kit, the difference between the new and old friction discs was about .5mm on average, but I'm glad I replaced everything hopefully won't have to touch it again for a long time. Ended up replacing the input seal on the AX-15 as well while I had it apart. Also drilled and tapped the head for the temp sender, that was a little nerve racking but went super smoothly.

Got the two halves mated back together and all the accessories, ignition and fuel components from the '92 installed. Just waiting on a new crank seal, harmonic balancer and CPS and this thing should be ready to go back in.

Then on to suspension and the rear end.

• 1 month later...

Making progress. The motor swap is 100% complete. I even fired it up for about three seconds until I noticed a three foot long jet of fuel coming out of the pressure regulator. Turns out the o-rings are next to impossible to find. I really don’t want to spend $50 on a new regulator just to get the o-rings, anybody have a source or part number?

Also got started on the suspension drop. I used the rear coils off a ZJ to drop it down 2”s in the front. It’s almost sitting on the bumpstops now so I’ll need to trim those up, but I’m pretty happy with the look. We’ll see if the coils are too soft or not. Alternatively if they are I can cut the stock coils.

Used so drop blocks for an S-10 that I got off eBay for the rear. It’s fairly level from front to back, pretty happy with the look. Still need to dial it in a little more, align the toe angle and shorten the swaybar links, but considering the pace I’ve been going on this thing I’m happy to have gotten this far.

Before:

After:

The orings for the regulator are the same as the ones for the fuel injectors.

Advanced auto parts part no. 274573

That's for the fuel rail side...for the fuel line to the regulator side the part can be found here: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B8X56RA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

a little pricey but the FSM says they have to be changed every time you remove it...though I have reused them before so long as everything goes back in place okay.

EDIT: Sorry those parts are for Renix, not sure if its the same for HO. My bad.

The orings for the regulator are the same as the ones for the fuel injectors.

Advanced auto parts part no. 274573

That's for the fuel rail side...for the fuel line to the regulator side the part can be found here: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B8X56RA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

a little pricey but the FSM says they have to be changed every time you remove it...though I have reused them before so long as everything goes back in place okay.

EDIT: Sorry those parts are for Renix, not sure if its the same for HO. My bad.

No worries, yes they are different. It's a set of two different sized one's. I found part number 05013721AB, gonna try that.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel leak fixed at the regulator, here's the p/n for the seals if anyone's interested: 05013721AB. This is for the early H.O. fuel pressure regulator.

Drove it around the neighborhood, runs great and suspension feels really good, even with the sway bar disconnected because I haven't shortened the links yet. Stoked that the ZJ springs worked out.

Only issue I noticed is the motor is running hotter than normal and the electric fan isn't coming on at 210. It comes on when the AC is switched on or when the coolant temp sensor is unplugged, so not sure what the problem is, possibly air in the system giving a false reading? I did drill and tap the rear of the 0630 head for the 7120 head temp sender.

The truck is looking great Scott!

Thanks Bo, coincidentally I'm gonna see the crew this weekend! :cheers:

Switched the rad cap to a 16lbs and tried a different coolant temp sensor, but it still runs a little hot and not turning the fan on. If I run the AC the efan seems to even out the temp, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

Shortened up the sway bar links, please don't laugh, they're sensitive about their size.

Took it for a wash and drive, I forgot how fun the 5 speed is. Fun breaking the rear end loose around corners. I think I'm going to try a XJ shackle, its a little high in the rear still.

Front and back