89 Southern Mj: First Jeep

You're still runnin 4:10, aw4 and 33's right? I know you do lots of wheelin, but are you happy with this gearing overall? Highway, city and dirt? I'm still considering gears and just curious.

She isnt lightning fast on the street but she isnt a slug either. I def don't hate the gearing, prob only reason I would re-gear is if I go 35s. Off road I never feel underpowered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Began a new project on the ole girl this week. I decided to loose the cobbled together transmission cooler lines and replace them with 6an lines. Ive had 2 of the fittings blow off at different times, lucky for me both times I was only right down the road from my house. After this last time I decided to just go all out and replace it all from the transmission up.

Took the lines out today. Too many splices to be reliable anymore.

My first box of fittings. Have another on its way. This stuff aint cheap lol

I used a fuel rail fitting to attach to the lower cooler fitting.

Finished up the trans lines today. Snapped some pics along the way.

can't really tell but I also flipped my cooler on its side so the inlet is on the bottom and the outlet is on top. Better cooling with that setup.

My line routing

• 3 weeks later...

Tinkered with the Jeep on sunday. Broke the same motor mount I replaced a few years ago.

So I had to order the good stuff.

I will say after installing them I don't know how you would be able to do them if you don't own a long pry bar. I wouldnt have been able to get it done with out one, just to align the bolt holes to the frame.

Got a few projects ahead of me. Ups must be tired of stoping by this week.

I'm gonna finally get rid of my ac and install the bypass pulley I have siting in the closet, because who am I kidding, I'm never gonna try to fix the ac lol

Got a lot done yesterday. Removed head, extracted broken manifold stud. New head gasket and head bolts. Re-installed manifold and new header.

Almost buttoned up

Waiting on my new Flowkooler water pump then the top half of the motor project will be done.

Did a little work today. Replaced the front crank seal and the o-rings on the oil filter adapter. Also removed some parts. 

Got a pile started. Took out Ac and components and the cruse control servo.

Got rid of the football too. Replaced with vacuum ball out of a newer jeep.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a pump to go along with the locker.

East Coast Gear Supply is making me go broke!

Spent time this weekend researching where people mount their Arb Compressors and came up short. The Comanche just doesn't have a good spot really. I toyed with under the hood but it gets so dusty under there I couldn't justify it. Decided behind the seat was the way to go. I used the plate Arb supplied and welded a piece to the plate then bolted a corresponding piece on the tunnel behind the seat.

Mounted up pretty nice.

Next on the list is get the wiring sorted.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Haven't had time to do any wheeling lately, plan on getting out soon though. Got the itch to do some wrenching on the Jeep so $$$ was spent and I ended up with this on the doorstep;

Took the reservoir out for a test fit. I read it wouldn't fit the mj/xj cause it couldn't go low enough. It looked really high when I fit it but the hood actually closed. Probably with zero clearance.

I didn't trust it, so I got the BFH and massaged the wheel well some so it will sit lower.

Has anyone else installed a PSC reservoir on their xj or mj with the brackets supplied by PSC?

• 1 month later...

Been tinkering with the PSC stuff when I've had time. Got a wild hair and decided to swap out the single diaphragm booster with a dual setup from a WJ. That opened a whole new can of worms with fitting the PSC remote res. I'm powering through it though.

Thought I had it all figured out with this trick -3an set up, but the hoses were in the way of the reservoir.

So I tried again..

I got the right hoses this time. Also got the braided brake line kit for the 8.8 from ECGS

Also got a smoking deal on some Truck-lites. I really didn't want to spend the money on new lights but what the hell.

(Saw this thing at Publix too)

• 3 weeks later...