88 "Buffalo Hump"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't waste your time with that trans...that is a ba10/4 peugot, not an ax15.

There is no midplate like an ax15 has, and the case is split straight up the middle.

save yourself the time, because it's certainly no upgrade....and being a peugot, is alot of risk as to whether or not it's even any good.

Pat is dead on....don't waste your time and money.  Look for an 89' and up for your AX-15 donor.  That isn't an AX15.

89 and up, got it. It's just a shame that every 89 and up I find is an automatic.

How did you get those switches to look so good on there? Where'd you get them? And how did you wire them up? Is the other one for the fogs?

The switches fit the stock holes. You push it in until you hear a click and your good to go. They're a walmart special, 6 bucks a piece. Yes, the other one is for the fogs, I just wired them through the engine bay into the cab and to the back of the switch. The power is drawn through a fused wire to the battery. The fan switch is a bit more complicated with wiring, as it's relayed. 

If I'm not mistaken I think that's the connection for the automatic transmission if it had one

Makes me feel alot better about it, I would have expected a cover or something on it. Thanks. I don't have a picture of it, but I'll explain it as best as I can. There is a capped electrical connector with 4  wires leading up to it on the drivers side of the engine bay near the air filter. If that's not enough to go on I'll snap a picture tomorrow. Any idea what it is?

Really? I guess that was before ABS wasn't an option and was mandatory. Just found out abs still isn't mandatory. Thanks

Here we go with another questions: Dana 44 rear axle and a Dana 30 front for a scout/YJ. Both for 150. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the 44 has leaves on it, and they look to be in decent shape outside of some superficial rust. I realize I would have to take it to a welder to set it up for an MJ, and a machine shop to inspect and clean it for me. But for that price, it's still worth it I think. What are your opinions? Also, I'd want to swap out the drums for discs. 

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/3685904212.html

And here are some ford 8.8s with 4.10 gearing.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/3759177308.html

The guys also selling np207 and np208 transfer cases, will either work with an ax15?

personally, I wouldn't waste my time with the scout axles. They are narrower than your stock axles, and not even close to bolt-in. I'd be on top of that 8.8 personally, then regear your front to match, and convert to non-disconnect at the same time.

Well, I've had a successful day. I changed the valve cover from the Renix to the Ho. You'll see why in the pictures. Also changed the fuel injectors, rerouted some air intake hoses and installed an XJ center console. 

Off of a Grand Cherokee. There was no oil anywhere on this thing. The engine had to have been just rebuilt, then the owner decided to throw his ZJ away.

And this is why:

Looks brand new

Cleaned up the old gasket, in with the new. 

New XJ console. I need to figure something out about the boot. It didn't have one since it's off of an automatic.

I got these for the low low price of free

Question: (DISREGARD) Someone is offering me an AX15 with np231 and cross member for a 99 TJ sahara for a negotiable $600. 150xxx miles, shifts smooth and goes into 2 and 4wd without a hitch, synchromesh in good shape. I believe I may have scored here, but before I jump on it, is this as good a deal as I think it is? 

This would be a BA-10 my friend, not an AX-15

RockMJ

Edit: Sorry, I did not realize posts were already made. Would help to refresh the browser

Ha, don't worry about it. With a lot of posts, it's hard to tell what's been answered and what hasn't. But I do have a question just above your post. I also forgot to ask if the splining on that tranny would work being a 99. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Question: What the hell is this? Going through my engine, I spot this loose connection, with no idea what it connects to. It's a short wire, so it couldn't have gotten far. It's just in front of the air intake manifold. Any idea? 

my 88 has the same connector and its not connected to anything 

• 2 months later...

She's in, and was convinced at the last minute to go SOA by an avid comanche fan, who happen to also be the welder. 

Gonna get shock mount brackets welded onto the axle, but this will do for now. 

She sits a little high, I'll put in XJ shackles until I can get bigger tires. 

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time coming, but tomorrow I'm installing my dana 30 and front end lift components. Should level it out nicely, the rear may still slightly be raised. Hard to tell with SOA and sagging leafs.

Today I swapped my brake booster to a 98 ZJ dual diaphragm. Gonna need it for the bigger tires, no doubt:

6KLSwcm.jpg

The size difference between the ZJ and MJ boosters was impressive:

V9QGA2Z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got it all in: M0pxKl7.jpg

Did the fine tuning this morning and she runs like a champ, buttery smooth. All that's really left are the tires and front drive shaft u-joints.

Anyone want this?

rIKe6QE.jpg

The boosters a bit cramped with everything put back in. I had to coax the washer reservoir abit to get it to fit:

cc6XJJE.jpg

The Novak shifter and JKS quicker d/c:

7Sn5nCH.jpg

I'll get more pictures up soon showing the stance of the truck, looks stocky as hell. 

• 2 weeks later...