88 "Buffalo Hump"

Check newer posts for additions, pictures, and plenty of questions:

I got my 88 back in september of 2012. I've done quite a bit to it since then, but unfortunately didn't document much of it with pictures. However, I intend to change that for future mods. I forsee in the next year or two ol' Camy (pending name) will be a full out off road machine. And that is impossible without the help of you guys and girls, and many of you have helped me out ALOT up to this point already. I do appreciate it. 

The oldest picture I could find of her:

f77edf8245c870fc876e81ff787b4658.jpg

My old tailgate:

5e8764e9b1c1bd53c34cae4911757fdc.jpg

My new tailgate. Stopped at lowes to get some spray paint... the shed needed a new coat..

4b4d19c12fd76143e00860a3e4ece663.jpg

My shed burned down so I decided to use the paint on the tailgate:

02a37fab4a70905f5984d2da41702699.jpg

Looks nothing like this anymore: 

e77b134e58e8dc37593dd7a9daaec4e1.jpg

Late XJ center console and full gauges:

3bc049db0808745cfb27ee0765c80d63.jpg

Picked this up at a JY for 30 bucks. Can't beat that:

67377b9c54a932409728202e7ced9e52.jpg

I have a huge list for whats to come, and will expand over time.

4WD AX-15 conversion

secondary electric fan

thinkin a 4" lift SOA

31"-33" tires

Disc brakes all around

Gauge instrument cluster already in the works

better cool air flow into the air intake manifold

Recommendations are always welcome!

What's been done from that list above:

secondary electric fan

Gauge instrument cluster

4WD AX-15 conversion

Rear Disc brakes

SOA

Dual Diaphragm Brake Booster

4.5/5" lift

33x10.5 BFG A/T

She's a work in progress, and has a long way to go. Thanks for viewing. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats sure a unique rear shock coilover setup. I guess thats where the lift is aquired... :hmm:

What's with the red coil spring too? Seems as though your truck has more springs than a mattress!

Tell me about it. The guy I bought it from took good care of the truck, but really half assed the lift. It's all temporary, though.

Woops forgot why haha.  I ment why did you replace your tailgate?

If you look at the second picture down on the first post, you can see the tailgate bows out just slightly. I replaced it with a straight one. The bowed one works just fine, but it was a cheap enough "upgrade".

nice looki'n jeep. interesting placement on the cb, I thought about mounting mine there (cobra 25 ltd classic bluetooth) but I just mounted mine on the dash above the radio so as to give passengers more leg room

nice looki'n jeep. interesting placement on the cb, I thought about mounting mine there (cobra 25 ltd classic bluetooth) but I just mounted mine on the dash above the radio so as to give passengers more leg room

That thought crossed my mind, but a 6'5" guy sits in that seat with leg room to spare believe it or not. My dog spends more time in that seat than anyone else anyway, haha

Digging through a JY, I come across an AX-15 with transfer case attached on an 88 Cherokee. Is it even worth my time to pull it, pay a couple hundred for both and take a chance on how well it will perform? These are the best pictures I could get of it. It's slanted because the engine mounts on the 4.0 appear to have broken.

Also picked up a secondary electric fan while I was there, but can't find a write up on how to install. And by install, I mean wire the thing up to a sensor or switch correctly. 

If you are just installing that fan as a secondary fan to the mechanical one you should just be able to wire it to the existing aux fan plug. It should be in that driverside corner somewhere, you can either splice it or made a nice little plug adapter. The fan relay should be switched on by the ac being on or the temp sensor in the radiator, from the factory.

Alright, I'll recruit my brother and we'll go grab it. What about the metallic ring on the side of the tranny in this picture:  

It almost looks like the "Do Not Remove" bolt is gone. If it is, what does that mean?

The aux fan plug is already on the engine harness? Wow that made this easy, I'll splice it tomorrow.

Don't waste your time with that trans...that is a ba10/4 peugot, not an ax15.

There is no midplate like an ax15 has, and the case is split straight up the middle.

save yourself the time, because it's certainly no upgrade....and being a peugot, is alot of risk as to whether or not it's even any good.

Shes clean with some hiccups here and there:

It looks like there is an extra port on that pressure tank towards the firewall, is that plugged off?

Here's the posts on the electric fan if you're wanting it factory:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/32733-what-is-the-correct-way-to-hook-up-an-electric-fan/

http://comancheclub.com/topic/32861-electric-fan-stays-on/?hl=fan&do=findComment&comment=331350

Jeepcoma is correct if that's an 88 and it's original it's a peugot. 89 was the transition year for the ax. So unless someone already replaced the tranny. Here's a link to photos of the two so you know : Click for original post

There is no midplate like an ax15 has, and the case is split straight up the middle.

save yourself the time, because it's certainly no upgrade....and being a peugot, is alot of risk as to whether or not it's even any good.

Damn it, I had high expectations for that trans. I have a ba10 in my truck now, but I had no idea they used those transmissions for 4WD. That's why I thought it was an AX-15. That really is a spirit killer. 

Thanks for the write ups skidoo, looks like it should be an easy install. 

still  suggest you look at  that  coolant pressure tank  as  it has too many nipples.   make sur  that back one is plugged,  and  if  its  the  pressure release  get a hose on it so  it  doesnt  run  down  your  fire wall  and  blower motor

Pat is dead on....don't waste your time and money.  Look for an 89' and up for your AX-15 donor.  That isn't an AX15.