86 Comanche Questions

i have now looked under everything that had a 2.8 and i can't find a single one that would have my air cleaner intake hose and other ideas because my looks like a cat got inside it and used it for a scratchin post,

Redwolf

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have now looked under everything that had a 2.8 and i can't find a single one that would have my air cleaner intake hose and other ideas because my looks like a cat got inside it and used it for a scratchin post,

Redwolf

Can you take a pic and show which hose your talking about?

Redwolf

Can you take a pic and show which hose your talking about?

i got the pictures i just gotta upload em, i'll try tonight,

Redwolf

gotta problem yall, between me and my dad we can't figure out all the vacum lines, i was gonna take pictures of the vacum lines but my mother and brother decided to take it all off before i had a chance, wires we can figure out for the most part but if yall could post pictures of the vacum lines and wires that'd be great

Redwolf

gotta problem yall, between me and my dad we can't figure out all the vacum lines, i was gonna take pictures of the vacum lines but my mother and brother decided to take it all off before i had a chance, wires we can figure out for the most part but if yall could post pictures of the vacum lines and wires that'd be great

Redwolf

Pretty much on your own there. I have 2 different manuals, plus some pics i found across the internet, and the sticker in the engine bay, and mines still not right. I'll see what pics i can find though. Your best bet is to go get a haynes or a chilton manual, and take pics of what your not sure of. If you kept all the old stuff, that will help since they should be mostly formed in the right bends to at least guess where it all goes

Feeling lazy, but here's a link to my photobucket library. some of the pics may help you, any questions feel free to ask. if you need one i can take a pic of the engine bay vacuum routing sticker too

Redwolf

Pretty much on your own there. I have 2 different manuals, plus some pics i found across the internet, and the sticker in the engine bay, and mines still not right. I'll see what pics i can find though. Your best bet is to go get a haynes or a chilton manual, and take pics of what your not sure of. If you kept all the old stuff, that will help since they should be mostly formed in the right bends to at least guess where it all goes

Feeling lazy, but here's a link to my photobucket library. some of the pics may help you, any questions feel free to ask. if you need one i can take a pic of the engine bay vacuum routing sticker too

thanks, i have the engine bay sticker but i can't understand the thing and my father can't read it, i'll look through the haynes manual more, i can't even find a chilton manual around my area, and i'll deffently check out your photobucket, thanks again,

Redwolf

ran into a problem with ONE vacum line, i can't figure out where the vacum line for the brake buster goes does anyone know or can i branch it off of the vacum canisters (what look like two really big tuna cans) i really need to know cause that's the only thing stoppin me from drivin my MJ,

Redwolf

Got the 2.8 out of my '86 this afternoon. When I first started removing stuff I marked every connection and took pics. About half way thru I decided there was no way over half of the crap was going back in so I quit and just removed everything.

Got the 2.8 out of my '86 this afternoon. When I first started removing stuff I marked every connection and took pics. About half way thru I decided there was no way over half of the crap was going back in so I quit and just removed everything.

yeah, i've either had to replace half the stuff or it was unneeded for me like the ac

Redwolf

got the engine all put back together and we can get it to crank and start but it'll have a EXTREMELY high idiol like you're bouta blow the engine and if we try to lower the idiol it shuts off, if it acts like it's gonna start but doesn't wanna i give it gas and it starts and has a low idiol, me and my dad can't figure it out, everything is tight and torqued properly, we also have a mystery oil leak and can't figure it out cause everything is on, any ideas cause i'd really like to keep this mj

Redwolf

got the engine all put back together and we can get it to crank and start but it'll have a EXTREMELY high idiol like you're bouta blow the engine and if we try to lower the idiol it shuts off, if it acts like it's gonna start but doesn't wanna i give it gas and it starts and has a low idiol, me and my dad can't figure it out, everything is tight and torqued properly, we also have a mystery oil leak and can't figure it out cause everything is on, any ideas cause i'd really like to keep this mj

Redwolf

I have a mystery oil leak too. Although I'm fairly certain its from the rear main seal.

And I would assume your carb needs adjusted or rebuilt.

Redwolf

I have a mystery oil leak too. Although I'm fairly certain its from the rear main seal.

And I would assume your carb needs adjusted or rebuilt.

i'm thinkin rebuilt or a new one and the oil leak for me ain't comin from the rear main seal, it's riverin down the engine,

Redwolf

Clean the engine as best as you can and track it down. Maybe from a valve cover gasket that didnt seal well? Cork or rubber gaskets? If at all possible upgrade to a simple 2 barrel carb with no vacuum

it's a rubber gasket set, the only thing cork is the oil pan gasket, it looks like the leak is comin from the distributer but i'm not sure

Redwolf

Dizzy's can leak pretty good, especially if the gasket was degraded and/or stuck to either the distributor or block, and then timing was adjusted, it can just chew it apart. Or it isn't clamped down tightly.

High idle speeds usually are triggered by a vacuum leak. Really high idle speeds can be caused by a missing hose. Make sure every port on the carb that you're not still using is plugged. And there are vacuum ports everywhere. I once sealed off the intake of a Chevy 305 and just one hose missing from the carb was enough air getting in to keep it running. The previous owner had removed the emissions stuff and most of the vacuum stuff simply by going "snip snip snip" in the name of making more power. Can't say it did anything for power, but the van the 305 was in got 9mpg on a good day of highway cruising...

Dizzy's can leak pretty good, especially if the gasket was degraded and/or stuck to either the distributor or block, and then timing was adjusted, it can just chew it apart. Or it isn't clamped down tightly.

High idle speeds usually are triggered by a vacuum leak. Really high idle speeds can be caused by a missing hose. Make sure every port on the carb that you're not still using is plugged. And there are vacuum ports everywhere. I once sealed off the intake of a Chevy 305 and just one hose missing from the carb was enough air getting in to keep it running. The previous owner had removed the emissions stuff and most of the vacuum stuff simply by going "snip snip snip" in the name of making more power. Can't say it did anything for power, but the van the 305 was in got 9mpg on a good day of highway cruising...

what do ya mean by the dizzy and could a hose from an air cleaner missin cause the high idle?

Redwolf

Dizzy = distributor. You did put a gasket in there, right?

Any vacuum leak at all can increase idle speed. The vacuum is created by air sucked out of the intake manifold by the engine. Vacuum leaks will then suck air into the engine, which has a similar effect to dilling a hole through the throttle plate. The higher the idle, the bigger the leak. Like I said, plug off any missing hoses. If the idle goes down, that's your problem. That Chevy van I mentioned didn't have a tach, but my ear told me it was likely idling at around 2000rpm. And that was just one hose missing.

Another point, you made sure the throttle plate was closing properly, right? Vacuum leaks aren't the only thing that could cause high idle. While I have limited experience with vacuum-riddled GM engines, I've got no experience whatsoever with the 2.8, though, so I can't really help you much beyond that.

Dizzy = distributor. You did put a gasket in there, right?

Any vacuum leak at all can increase idle speed. The vacuum is created by air sucked out of the intake manifold by the engine. Vacuum leaks will then suck air into the engine, which has a similar effect to dilling a hole through the throttle plate. The higher the idle, the bigger the leak. Like I said, plug off any missing hoses. If the idle goes down, that's your problem. That Chevy van I mentioned didn't have a tach, but my ear told me it was likely idling at around 2000rpm. And that was just one hose missing.

Another point, you made sure the throttle plate was closing properly, right? Vacuum leaks aren't the only thing that could cause high idle. While I have limited experience with vacuum-riddled GM engines, I've got no experience whatsoever with the 2.8, though, so I can't really help you much beyond that.

can't find the gasket for the distributor and i've kept all my left over gaskets, and there's no leaks in the vacum hoses, i've checked em all, the only thing i can think of at this point is the carb, but i got a rebuild kit so i'll soon find out if that's the problem

Redwolf

Beyond checking the hoses, you've checked to make sure there aren't any hiding ports? The one I missed was coming off the bottom front of the carb. Not easy to spot in a van where you come at the engine from above and behind. Don't know your application so can't suggest blind spots.

Make sure the throttle plate closes as far as it should. There should be an idle-speed adjuster screw somewhere that acts as a stop for the throttle return. Could be pushed too far out, but you've likely checked for that. Could also be a sticky choke or fast-idle. Your carb is seated and secured properly? Intake? rebuild kit sounds like a good call. Be very very careful with the metering rods when you pull apart your carb, and take a $#!&-ton of pics so you know how it goes back together.

Just reread that post, and you've done all the above. The high-idle-screw-with-throttle-low-idle thing seems a lot like a fast idle/choke issue. The purpose of choke or fast idles is to help with seriously cold starts and warming up. On the van I mentioned, the auto choke was set by stepping on the gas and coming off slow. If you did that, it would engage the choke, so that when you started the engine, it would run richer and idle higher so the cold engine ran better and warmed up faster. Worked great, down to -35 it would start and run without using the block heater. It would idle at what my well-calibrated ear says is likely around 1500-2000rpm and if you so much as sneezed on the gas pedal it would drop down to "regular" idle speed, and probably die if it was cold out and the engine wasn't warm yet. If you fast-idle is set badly or your choke is messed up, it could increase idle speed.

You understand I'm pretty well just making some uneducated guesses here, right? Take what I say with a grain of salt... I'm hoping some more experienced member will chime in...

I'm slightly curious for my own reasons what gaskets you'd have left and why you have them left. I'd have done my best to replace all the gaskets I had replacements for.