86 Comanche Questions

i just got a 1986 jeep comanche satuday and it did not pass inspection from when the last owner had it due to not havin a neutral safety swtich, but her machanic said they didn't have one, is that true or did the 86 comanche have a neutral safety switch? Also where is the engine id code is on a 86 comanche?

Thanks in advance,

Redwolf

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have an automatic trans, than yes there should be a neutral safty switch. Manual tranny, no there isn't one.

GrumpysMJ

ok if i don't have a neutral safety switch could i have a clutch safety switch because i found a 2 prug switch on the passenger side for the transmission mount,

Redwolf

If you have an automatic trans, than yes there should be a neutral safty switch. Manual tranny, no there isn't one.

GrumpysMJ

ok if i don't have a neutral safety switch could i have a clutch safety switch because i found a 2 prug switch on the passenger side for the transmission mount,

Redwolf

If clutch safety switch is what prevents it from starting without the clutch pedal depressed...then no, it doesnt have one. At least my 86/2.8/ax5 does not

Clutch switch didn't come to Jeeps  until 1997. Neutral safety switch only on automatic transmissions.

Since when does a vehicle need stuff that wasn't available at time of manufacture to pass an inspection? Next they won't be passing 1986 Jeeps because they don't have air bags...

I agree, 86 did not come with a nuetral safety switch or a clutch switch on the manual trans models. They werent required at the time of manufacture and arent required now after the fact. You need to go back to this inspector and straighten him out, or take it somewhere else to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Chrysler started using these switches in 1994 on their 5.2 and 5.9 V8s w. manual trannies, but the Jeeps didn't get them until 1997 on the 4.0 and 2.5. Before that no Jeeps had them from the factory.

Why don't you go back to that inspector and have his supervisor show you where the switch is on your 86.  :yes:

thanks yall, i'm currectly takin my engine apart to find out if it has a blown gasket or a cracked head or possibly the block and i'm tryin to make a list of everything i need to get after i get my jeep runnin to make it pass inspection, also did the 2.8 V6s come factory stock with emissions check valves and all that, another thing can a 2.8 V6 engine from a GM vehicle fit and would i have to swap anything or make any modifications?

Redwolf

Yes a 2.8V6 from a GM vehicle will fit (It may have to be a rear wheel drive one, though, not sure on that.). 3.1 and 3.4 will also work since they use the same block. Buick 3800 will bolt up to the transmission, but don't know about the motor mounts. The 3800 will also eat that manual transmission for breakfast, so may not be the best choice.

A number of people have swapped in a 3.1 using the 2.8 carburetor set up. A 3.4 will kind of work with the 2.8 carburetor but needs something larger at high rpms.

Yes a 2.8V6 from a GM vehicle will fit (It may have to be a rear wheel drive one, though, not sure on that.). 3.1 and 3.4 will also work since they use the same block. Buick 3800 will bolt up to the transmission, but don't know about the motor mounts. The 3800 will also eat that manual transmission for breakfast, so may not be the best choice.

A number of people have swapped in a 3.1 using the 2.8 carburetor set up. A 3.4 will kind of work with the 2.8 carburetor but needs something larger at high rpms.

ok, chances are i'll stick with the 2.8V6 engine so is there any special years i gotta get the engine from other than 1986,

Redwolf

The biggest difference in differing years 2.8's is either internal or external balancing. The original 2.8 in the comanche had an external balance weight on the flywheel. Youll need to find another externally balanced engine, or have the original flywheel nuetrally balanced for an internally balanced engine. The later 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 were internally balanced so don't need the flyweight. Something to keep an eye out for if youre looking for a used engine. And again, try to stick with a RWD donor from an S-10 or Camaro Firebird, to keep complexity at a minimum.

Since they are all the same basic block, I would strongly advise going to a 3.1L or 3.4L if you're going through the effort of swapping engines.

Seeing as how I just did a 2.8 swap out of an S10, I STRONGLY agree with this. Anything you can do to delete the emissions crap on it is worth while. I'm still fighting it, figuring out what goes where and what can be removed. Also, the 2.8 is horribly under powered. If you need a new engine, go with the 3.4 if you can find one!

Also, if you do decide to go back with another 2.8, one from an 82(?)-84 S10 will be carbed, for a straight swap over. if its from a newer s10, blazer, jimmy, etc, then you will either have to wire in the tbi, or swap intakes, timing cover, water pump, oil pan, and valve covers from the jeep engine, because those were all changed with the switch from carbs to tbi

The biggest difference in differing years 2.8's is either internal or external balancing. The original 2.8 in the comanche had an external balance weight on the flywheel. Youll need to find another externally balanced engine, or have the original flywheel nuetrally balanced for an internally balanced engine. The later 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 were internally balanced so don't need the flyweight. Something to keep an eye out for if youre looking for a used engine. And again, try to stick with a RWD donor from an S-10 or Camaro Firebird, to keep complexity at a minimum.

Since they are all the same basic block, I would strongly advise going to a 3.1L or 3.4L if you're going through the effort of swapping engines.

Seeing as how I just did a 2.8 swap out of an S10, I STRONGLY agree with this. Anything you can do to delete the emissions crap on it is worth while. I'm still fighting it, figuring out what goes where and what can be removed. Also, the 2.8 is horribly under powered. If you need a new engine, go with the 3.4 if you can find one!

Also, if you do decide to go back with another 2.8, one from an 82(?)-84 S10 will be carbed, for a straight swap over. if its from a newer s10, blazer, jimmy, etc, then you will either have to wire in the tbi, or swap intakes, timing cover, water pump, oil pan, and valve covers from the jeep engine, because those were all changed with the switch from carbs to tbi

thanks yall, i'll deffently keep this in mine when i go lookin for an engine, chances are i'll stick with the 2.8 just because that's what my truck had from the facotry, my MJ is a long term project truck and i'm gonna try to get it as stock as i can minus the audio system, but as long as the engine i pull is a 2.8, 3.1, or 3.4 and has a carb i should be fine right?

Redwolf

The biggest difference in differing years 2.8's is either internal or external balancing. The original 2.8 in the comanche had an external balance weight on the flywheel. Youll need to find another externally balanced engine, or have the original flywheel nuetrally balanced for an internally balanced engine. The later 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 were internally balanced so don't need the flyweight. Something to keep an eye out for if youre looking for a used engine. And again, try to stick with a RWD donor from an S-10 or Camaro Firebird, to keep complexity at a minimum.

thanks yall, i'll deffently keep this in mine when i go lookin for an engine, chances are i'll stick with the 2.8 just because that's what my truck had from the facotry, my MJ is a long term project truck and i'm gonna try to get it as stock as i can minus the audio system, but as long as the engine i pull is a 2.8, 3.1, or 3.4 and has a carb i should be fine right?

Redwolf

Even if it is a 2.8 with tbi it will work. Just keep the intake, oil pan, valve covers, and timing cover from your old engine and swap them over since they are different on tbi engines. I would try to find a newer engine just because the low end issues were solved later on

The biggest difference in differing years 2.8's is either internal or external balancing. The original 2.8 in the comanche had an external balance weight on the flywheel. Youll need to find another externally balanced engine, or have the original flywheel nuetrally balanced for an internally balanced engine. The later 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 were internally balanced so don't need the flyweight. Something to keep an eye out for if youre looking for a used engine. And again, try to stick with a RWD donor from an S-10 or Camaro Firebird, to keep complexity at a minimum.

Redwolf

Even if it is a 2.8 with tbi it will work. Just keep the intake, oil pan, valve covers, and timing cover from your old engine and swap them over since they are different on tbi engines. I would try to find a newer engine just because the low end issues were solved later on

>Since they are all the same basic block, I would strongly advise going to a 3.1L or 3.4L if you're going through the effort of swapping engines.

lockquote>

Redwolf

i'll keep that in mine too, right now i'm checkin every junkyard in my area because i aint got the money for a engine from the parts store but i'm still keepin my option of the part store there,

Redwolf

Yes. Just remember to keep all the aforementioned parts off of the mjs 2.8 if your staying carbd

oh i'm stayin carbd, the 2,8 i'm yankin is TBI i don't wanna put any more crap into my comanche than i have two, but i gotta keep the exhust manifolds and what else?

Redwolf

Valve covers, intake, timing cover, oil pan. If theyre good all the accessories, tbi engines use a serp belt instead of the v belts. If you want pm me and ill send you any relevant pics, info, etc you want. Also keep all the vacuum components, thats the biggest headache youll have