Georgia: '92 4.0 Ho, Ax-15, 2Wd

Had all 4 wheels rebalanced tonight with a combination of hammer on and adhesive wheel weights.  I watched the tech spin all 4 wheels up as they were removed and the balancer started spitting out errors:  excessive runout/replace wheels.   It seems all 4 were way out of balance.  Of note none of the wheels had any adhesive weights prior to balance but all required adhesive weights when rebalanced.  I made it about 1/2 mile down the highway and the LF hammer on wheel weight came off with a loud bang.  I turned right around and went back.  They pulled the LF wheel and balanced it again.  Interestingly they needed more stick on weights this time.

We'll see how she drives now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A correctly performed tire balance job calmed the death wobble significantly but it still isn't gone.  I checked all of the steering components for the umpteenth time but tried something different.  I used Vise Grips to clamp each ball stud and see if there was any movement between stud and knuckle or other mating component.  I found play in 2 of the 4 joints and replaced the center link and tie rod.  Also did a garage alignment by taping a ruler to the center of each tire and one to the center of the body.  It's close enough to get me to the alignment shop.

alignment.jpg

center link and tie rod.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been driving the MJ exclusively as the wife's car was totaled by an uninsured driver (long story, quite a saga, & not yet resolved).  I took her on a trip to Rod Run in Pigeon Forge and the center link and tie rod helped a lot.  She was a bit unsettled on the largest interstate bumps but didn't go into DW. :crossfingers:

Here's the totaled Olds.  85K miles:

Catherine accident rear.jpg

Catherine accident 4.jpg

27 minutes ago, 1987Comanche said:

Been driving the MJ exclusively as the wife's car was totaled by an uninsured driver (long story, quite a saga, & not yet resolved).  I took her on a trip to Rod Run in Pigeon Forge and the center link and tie rod helped a lot.  She was a bit unsettled on the largest interstate bumps but didn't go into DW. :crossfingers:

Here's the totaled Olds.  85K miles:

Catherine accident rear.jpg

Catherine accident 4.jpg

that sucks, that olds looks clean, probably rode really nice

that sucks, that olds looks clean, probably rode really nice

She was a great ride, powerful and comfortable, neat as a pin inside and out. Finished negotiating with the insurance company and it looks like Copart is picking her up tomorrow or Wednesday.  I'd like to find another one. 

1 hour ago, 1987Comanche said:

She was a great ride, powerful and comfortable, neat as a pin inside and out. Finished negotiating with the insurance company and it looks like Copart is picking her up tomorrow or Wednesday.  I'd like to find another one. 

I wish you luck on your search.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's stop at the bank took longer than I thought.  Going through the parking lot I heard something odd as I was waiting on drive thru.  Pulled into a spot and found large object in my LF tire.  Any idea what this is?  Got the spare on and, while I check the air pressure every time I change the oil I hadn't looked at it closely in quite some time.  Date coded 2007 but it got me home.  Hopefully I can get the tire fixed.  In total I drove about 200' with that in the tire.

screw in tire.jpg

spare tire.jpg