The Building Of Bucky

So off come the bumpers roll bar fender flares side bars etc....( actually on and off and on several times over the summer) as the sanding welding grinding etc etc went into the fall. hot dusty work in the driveway we had a lot of 100 degree plus days this year. My neighbors looved the racket I was making out there....

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say that the body work was alot of work but only in the sense that it was time consuming and spanned several months. It was made more difficult by the fact that I have no garage (and at this point not even a place I could get it behind the fence and out of the driveway in front of the house). It is also my DD as the 87 still has no engine. Means everytime I want to work on it all the tools get drug around from the shed in the back yard, then all put back when it gets dark so the local gangstas don't run off with my tools...touch my MAC wrences and die cholo scum)..sucks. In truth the body of bucky is one of the most rust and dent free I have ever worked on (one of many reasons I love living in Colorado. I have watched on this website many wizards in the rust belt masters of sheet metal bring these trucks back from the dead, and I have no right to say my piddly amount of body repair classifies as "work" by comparrison.

I was not really that serious about getting bucky painted as of yet but was more looking to a short term goal of getting her at least in primer.

I have to admit that I had to draw the line on what I was subjecting the neighbors to, and rattle canned the primer on...(for now)

Sorry for the big gap in project pictures here...really don't know why the camera migrated out of the glovebox for a month or so.

The sanding continued and continued and finally we were in one color of primer.Bolted all the "stuff" on after a quicky coat of rattlecan rustoleum bed liner for contrast. The black textured surface looked so good I taped off the bottom of the bed and doors/cab and followed suit. I decided to wait on paint till next summer. Fall was in mid swing and the $$$ was running thin. More importantly, if some bozo was to slide into me on a slick street I damn sure wanted my bumpers back on.

Rattle canned a new set of mirrors, the old windshield and front window trim.

Will put a new winshield in with 97+ rubber seal after the paint job along with spray-in bed liner.

Liking the black texture on the bottom of the body so much, I may do it again (in bed liner matl) after she gets painted too.

Will be pulling this door off and fixing the hinges, the front sticks out as the welds are cracked. There are still many little body details to be done before the skim coat of filler and final blocking is to be done. But it was awful nice to have her for the most part back in one piece and one color after all summer and fall.

To add a further deviation to this thread... our daughter Lacey had transferred from Red Rocks community college (here in town)up to the university of northern colorado (in Greely out on the plains)had been driving our old Geo Prism since high school. Realizing that she would be making the trip back and forth through the winter (the wind really rips out on the plains up there)it was decided that a more reliable, safe and unstoppable vehicle was in order.We found a 2000 cherokee 4 door 4 liter auto for her.

That is it parked behind Nathans black 99' and the white geo behind that.It was in overall good shape cosmetically. mechanically it had been neglected. Did all the usual stuff. New tires, battery, brakes, shocks, radiator, waterpump, serp belt, fuel injectors, O-2 sensors, vacume lines,oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Not all at the same time of course...but all within the first 6 months. Out of 5 drivers in the family we have 5 jeeps 4 of which are daily drivers.

Lacey tells me that her cherokee is named "Svetlana" (don't ask me I just live/work here)

Got some underneath chores done next. Was tired of a small but annoying and consistant oil leak. I had gotten a new oil pan for the 87 when the plan still had it on the front burner, So it was time to get the old one off change the gasket and replace the rear main seal while in there. Also threw in the mean green starter while I was down there as well. This sucker really cranks especially for how small it is. As I had also gotten a gale banks header for red 87, and the exhaust was in poor shape (semi clogged cat and holes in the muffler) the exhaust system was next. The header I had scored was for an HO engine and untill I got everything apart I did not realize the difference, I was glad to have this forum to bounce off of when all this came up and sorry I did not utilize its combined brain power sooner. When I get the truck back from the painter I will do more with the engine later (again digging into the red 87 parts stash). Gotta tell ya that having to use Bucky as a daily driver through some of this work has obviously been impossible, I frequently have had to swipe one of the kids rides. It also has been an expense that bothers me but I have maintained insurance and plates on the geo as well . The obstacle I ran into as you might suspect is that while the banks header will fit the head just fine, the renix intake will not mount after it's bolted on. This presented a glitch in the process that I was at the time unready to commit to In order to make all this work and do a proper job of it due to time and money limitations. So a pacesetter header compatible with the renix engine was ordered and installed along with a magnaflow muffler and a highflow cat from flowmaster.

you mean the squarish one on the B pillar? those are the cab vents, the black plastic covers go over to cover it. They mount on the 4 round holes.

and yes they are left and right handed....stuck em on the wrong sides once....oops.

Thanks for the compliment... I am dying to get it back from the paint shop been 6 weeks now (I think... trying not to count them)

where did you get those rock sliders?

custom made for the truck by Jarod Fessler now in Brighton Colorado

his company name is Fessybuilt, check his website.

I think he is still in the process of moving his buisness / shop from Broomfield and not currently taking orders, but I don't want to speak for the man....check it out your self.