The Building Of Bucky

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plan at this point was to lift the red truck and drop in the ax-15 and a stroked HO motor. leaving bucky as she was a 2 wheel drive DD. The more I looked at the fresh paint on the 87 and the growing pile of parts, I got to the point where I was not certain how far I wanted to go with making it a trail rig the body was just really too nice to do that with it. So that's when a killer deal offered itself up on a rear dana 44 (out of a metric ton MJ so the spring perches were there and correct) and a non disco dana 30 for the front. how can you say no? (Thanks Troy!!!!)..........this really complicated where both trucks were going. In the end I decided to convert bucky to 4X4 with the newly acquired axles, and that if one of them was to hit the trails it should be the one not already wearing a fresh coat of paint. I should also say that the 87 had not a hint of rust anywhere, nor any evidence it ever had any. It is a chief model so it has factory buckets. the entire interior is about as nice as I have ever seen (If you can handle red). Ok I am fairly handy with a wrench but know my limitations...in other words not about to try re-gearing the axles myself. I had them stripped down, bead blasted and painted then over to four wheel parts where they were re-geared from stock to 4.56's and a detroit limited slip locker in the rear. a set of G-2 aluminum diff covers were added.

Had to have drive shafts built, Then put them in and installed the big brake kit from AEV (Replaced rear wheel cylinders drums shoes) and heavy duty steering set up from currie enterprises.

Then figured "in for a penny in for a pound"...the AX-15 went in along with the NP231 and cable shifter. The diffence was to say the least, drastic... to go from 3.08 gears 2 wheel drive with the peugeot 5 speed to 4.56 gears 4X4 AX-15 essentilly 6.0" lift. A couple of days of test driving proved that the factory brake system was not up to the larger front brakes...so the new brake booster and master cylinder (99 grand cherokee stuff) went in next. I can't say thank you enough to the folks here that posted the DIY upgrade info on this brake mod!!!! The truck drives fantastic (after a few hours to get used to how differently it shifts) pulls grreat in all gears, runs strong drives straight and stops on a dime. It did not take long to realize that the factory flares had to go.....the 87 gave up the factory roll bar, and the bed liner was jettisoned.....

This brings us up to (I think) about Mid April 2012. I went with Bushwacker flat top fender flares.... got em mounted and headed up to Jarods shop (fessybuilt).

Wanted the flares on before I had him make the custom side bars/sliders to get the lines right....

The side bars are made fron2.0" X 3.0" rectangular tube X 3/16" wall layed on the flat side. Jarod designed and built them to bolt on rather than weld as I knew that I would want the flexibility of getting them back off.

I have photos of them off the truck and of the mounting details... but not handy at the moment. I will post em this evening. The front bumper is one of fessybuilt standard items (he has several including a hell for stout winch bumper)

I had seen a build thread here some time back (silver & black?? maybe?) where the dude had a crackerjack idea of steel plate "bed rail top pieces" don't know what else to call em.

Jarod and I got together on this and he came up with these....

The obvious next move was to come up with a design and plan for a custom rear bumper for an MJ. I really liked Jarods option of the "wrap around ends" on the bumper we put on Nathan's XJ, but did not want it to stick out as far.

also the tail gate needing to open presented him with something he had not yet done ( jeep rear bumper wise anyway) We opted to use the mount plates for the factory one (that went back to Troy...before the question gets asked), and then add more for strength. Again I have other photos of the rear off the truck that better shows the mounting arrangement...will post some later.

good looking rig... but how come i fear the end of the story is going to end in tragedy. :ack:

gosh I hope not.... well look at it this way, If the world don't end tomorrow as planned I should have it back from the painter next week. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

All the bumpers,side rails fender flares etc etc were removed again for the body work phase of the project.

All body issues were dealt with correctly (new sheet metal welded in). I will start posting pics of the body work phase shortly..

The body work spanned most of the summer and fall of this year...check back in on this thread in a couple of days.

At this point (Probably early summer) I decided to fix a few cancer areas before they got any worse. As with most directions the bucky project has taken once I had a DA in my hand again after many many years, I was not surprized that I had comitted to having her sanded down and in primer.(she has a way of talking me into these things you see). Not proud of it ...just happens.