The "get Me By" Mj Truggy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More parts! got an MSD pro billet distributor and MSD-6 off off road ignition with a blaster high vibration coil from intensebik on pirate and got an MSD off road rev limiter from a guy here in dallas on CL. everything brand new in box!:smokin:

got the bottom and inner frame plates welded out tonight. I'm going to go ahead and cut the frame off at the fire wall so i set the jeep back down and put it at ride height so i could make a straight cut and then build my last small inner stiffener piece.

and since i was wrapping up for the night i figured id throw the tires up and see what it would look like. Pic is at 110" WB with 20" belly on 39.5 TSLs. Thinking maybe another 2 inches in the front would look about perfect. Thoughts?

i just said the same thing on the thread over on pirate, and I'm sure he'll chip in, but the truck started out as a 2wd 4cyl police impound with no title. it was this or the crusher...

should be neat when your done but not sure why you started out with a semi clean truck...they only made so many comanches

Guess ill throw this in here too... but yeah, the truck youve taken a fair bit of work to get drivable. and thats not what I'm looking for right now. have a one ton dodge. don't need another truck... ive delt with jacked titles in the past with other salvage vehicles ive rebuilt...

"Trust me, its been asked many times... So originally when i sold my jeep a year and a half ago the plan was to build a buggy. but after a career change and move to TX i was left with out a shop. and as you can see my alternative was very limited in space. I decided it would be easier and faster to build off an existing platform bc i was getting really tired of driving all the way back to MO to just ride along with friends. So i started looking for a cheep jeep to build off of and always thought building an MJ truggy would be cool. Found this one for 500 bucks, yeah it was in darn near perfect shape, but it was a police impound and had a bad title so trying to resell or license wasnt really worth it. XJs are everywhere, and everyone builds them... i don't want to build just any old trail rig and wanted to utilize all the parts i had collected for the buggy. and the more i got into it the more i remembered why i sold my last jeep to build a buggy, and now I'm left with what i got. yeah at this point i may as well have but my unwillingness to sacrifice the capability i was trying to achieve turned into not much MJ left... whatever... oh well... with all the parts i got rid of i made money on the initial purchase. lesson learned, in order to build a jeep thats as capable as a buggy with all the same components means basically getting rid of the jeep... itll still be really cool when its done, itll do the things i want it to do and it will hold up to many years of wheeling."

I was excited to see more after seeing the boatsides and then saw the roof coming off and didn't really like it too much anymore... Good thing you saved the truck but you didn't really save much! Hopefully the toob comes out very badass and makes up for the lack of Comanche that's left haha

I'm going to fill in between the double b pillar on the roof to maintain the cab corner lines, got some cool ideas for that. And prob going to fill in the roof diagonal bars in the center so I can run some interior lighting. But gonna keep the area above my head open

got some time in this evening after work

side protection

dash bar

mis bent the a pillars and they ended up being perfect for how i wanted my door bar so went ahead and threw one on tonight

You definately have some good tube bending skills! Nice work.

I'm about 60% completed on my Juggy (YJ frame) build. I'm using a Pro-Bender III and bend-tech 6x software and a JD2 pipe notcher. I never bent tubes before, so I can appreciate the work your doing.

When I made my door openings, I used a canvas half door as a guide and made them so they could easily be popped on or off so I can keep the mud out-----or not...

Thanks! Bending tube and making roll cages is prob the most rewarding part of what I do. I love suspension design but nothing defines a rig like a BA cage... But man notching irritates the crap out of me some times!

We don't have a whole lot of mud here in TX, and I try and avoid it whenever possible. SMORR gets a little sloppy at times but usually stays pretty dry in the summer. I've thought about making some lexan panels to inlay in there but not sure yet.

Nick came down this weekend and helped out while we banged our heads against the floor... seems like everything we tried to do had clearance issues... but what ever, got a plan to move forward. Cut the firewall and cowl out and got the motor pushed back 6 inches. going to have an access panel in the cowl to remove the distributor. the 300 stock shifters interfered with the trans so i had to take it apart and going to have to move the shifters to the top of the case. i wanted to run lexan panels in the foot wells so we decided to cut the whole fire wall out and trim some more off the frame so i can run longer lowers. with the manual my foot pedals were going to be close with a 4 link and the boat sides so we decided to run a 3 link with pass side upper. got the rock jock set at full bump, which is 6"s of up travel, should be able to get away with a one piece drive shaft. also bought another set of air bumps. ordered my headers this morning so once they show up ill be able to get moving with the front geometry.

pics...

works better this way, ill be able to run some more structural tubing down to the frame and have a flat firewall without all the BS holes to fill. also plan is to build a removable dog house and trans tunnel so everything will be serviceable from above. bring on the hate...

• 4 months later...