The "get Me By" Mj Truggy

So, a small introduction here, I started off in an XJ and then built a very capable, DD TJ while in school, click the link below for the build thread. Traded it with plans of building a buggy, but a year later and a big career move i still hadnt started the buggy build and was tired of not wheeling so i picked this up for 500 bucks.

TJ Build

http://www.jeepforum...ge-fund-878243/

88 MJ

4Cyl, 5 speed, 2 wd

Basically everything I have collected for the buggy will be going into this build.

350 on propane, sm465, dana 300.

Currie Rock Jock 60, 5.38s, 35s spline inner and outer alloys, drive flanges, detroit. Full hydro

Shaved 14 bolt, 5.38s, detroit, disc brakes.

Currie antirock Rear Sway Bar

16 inch FOA coilovers

4 in FOA air bumps

39.5 TSLs

105-107 in WB

Dual Wilwood master cylinders and cutting brake.

Mastercraft seats

Warn HS9500 winch

4 links front and rear

The plan for the MJ is do 2x6 rocker/boat sides, internal cage, Rear in going to be cut off behind the cab and tubed out, Front grill is going to be narrowed, tube fenders and engine cage with the winch behind the grill and the radiator in the back. Interior is going to be stripped and have custom dash... Hopefully done by March.

pics

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

makin some progress

strippin stuff

shed cleaned up again

jeep rolled in with all major components removed

literally zero droop...

no longer an issue...

sage is ready to go wheelin...

and just can't stop cutting!

frame prep

a sharp wood chisel works really well to scrape the majority of the undercoating off, for future reference. then i used aircraft stripper to remove the rest of the paint and such

when i cut the inner fenders out i left the finch seem where it was spot welded to the frame, but I'm wanting to box the whole front frame section in sooo...

then folder it over with a hammer and welded it back together

the last 12in or so were left unstripped and welded because one the motor goes in ill be cutting it off and tubing the rest to clear the 60

Gonna be a SICK rig when finished. The only whine i have is, i wish you could have come acrossed a more beat rig. That was WAY too nice a truck to destroy.

BUT... its better than it being donated by some jackass and end up in a crusher. :)

can't wait to see it all done.

It was impounded by the Kansas Highway patrol for being left on the side of the road too long and the guy couldnt pay the impound fees, threw a rod, passed thru half a dozen hands and had a jacked up title. would have been a good rig to build a DD out of but i wanted a clean slate to build and already have a truck. so as much as it does suck to cut up, its been really nice to work with. ive got some ideas to protect most of the sheet metal, its gonna be wheeled hard but i like my rigs to stay clean.

finally feel like I'm making steps forward instead of just taking things apart

folded all the pinch seams and rewelded them

Cut off the "gussets"

started on the templates for the frame plates, doing 3/16 on bottom and inside, 12 ga on the outside

got one section cut out and tacked up

i know where that is :rock on:

really does suck about cutting up a such a clean MJ but i held off to check out your work before i said anything. i mean as long as your doing it justice with the build (seems you are) hack that mother @#$%er up! :D

yeah, smorr is an awesome place to wheel.

i knew i was gonna catch some flack on this board for cutting as much off as i have, but i swear I'm not just some hack and stab builder, everything that ive cut, has had a reason, and needed to be out of the way so i can turn this into what ive dreamed it to be.

Holy smokes. I can hardly believe that truck was in KS. It's far too rust free!

Looks like you are well on your way with a solid plan set forth. I look forward to watching this truck some to fruition.

Sooo....when you cut those rust free cab corners out for the 2x6 rocker, would you sell 'em? :)

Holy smokes. I can hardly believe that truck was in KS. It's far too rust free!

Looks like you are well on your way with a solid plan set forth. I look forward to watching this truck some to fruition.

Sooo....when you cut those rust free cab corners out for the 2x6 rocker, would you sell 'em? :)

i was pleasantly surprised with its condition... i was finding alot here in texas in the 1000$ range with more rust that this one. i wasnt even mad about the little bit in the drivers floor when i peeled the carpet back.

i could probably manage to keep em in useable shape when i cut em out if you are interested. cutting all the way up to the first body line so there will be a lot of useable sheetmetal left. prob won't be till after new years, gotta go to kc to see the family for christmas and such, i make regular trips up there so we could prob work out a way to not have to ship em

Cut the rear frame off yesterday

And before anyone throws a fit about this next picture, its only temporary, i can lift the jeep myself, the 4x4 is just a secondary support, its also safety chained to the ceiling rafters...

i got the rest of the bottom plates cut out and the middle pieces tacked up

• 1 month later...

So, not much of an update, but its something for now.

I figured Id be back at this by now, but the day i got home from the holidays we started a huge project at work and ive been working 10-12 hour days every day since the 9th.

But here are a few more parts ive collected for the MJ

77 4 bolt main 350, itll be freshened up a little, new gaskets, ive got a set 64 CC heads that have been rebuilt to help the CR for the propane on stock pistons, dual plane aluminum intake manifold and lunati cam for it too wake it up a little. also have a serp belt set up for it and need to get a msd dist and ignition box. itll be a mild 350 by most standards, but itll get me on the trail while i build the 383 i want.

Picked up a set of 12 bolt H1s with rubber inserts

and a radiator for free! brand new, was for a gasser superduty a buddy used to have. should make a good candidate for a rear mounted rad.

Got some dimple dies from TMR

Cutting brake from off here

And kind of related, picking this up on saturday, i have a 26 ft gooseneck that i bought in college for hauling two jeeps, its too long to justify hauling just the one jeep but i got a stupid awesome deal on it so would like to hold on to it. i couldnt buy a 16 ft bumper pull for what i paid for this gooseneck... gonna throw it on the front and help keep the lady happy when winter wheeling.

project wraps up on the 28th, then ill be gone for a couple days wheelin with some friends. but when i get back ill pick up the rest of the material i need and should start coming together pretty quick.

• 3 weeks later...

Another small update, i swear I'm gonna get some decent progress done one of these days, at least this post will have a little tech in it...

but first, got the camper set up and took it to SMORR Froze Over. all i can say is WAY better than tent camping, especially in the bitter cold

This is the trailer i started with

Finished up about 2 am the morning i was supposed to leave.

The outside is a little rough but the inside is in really good shape for 1971... Stove, over, fridge and heater all work!

Just the right size for a jeep on the back (lilnickt's xj)

and back to the MJ

Picked up some LED fog lights, 20 bucks, don't know where I'm gonna use em yet, but oh well... maxxima 6.5x4s

got some more plate for the frame, 90 ft of DOM to start the cage, 2x6 box and 1.5 spare for the boatsides

so the side stiffeners are a little more difficult to make templates for, obviously you can trace out the lines on cardboard, so i drew lines on the frame every two inches and measured the cross section

then i transferred that to the cardboard

cut it out and trimmed a couple small spots

the best part is this template works for the inner and outer frame rails, so i traced it on the steel and cut it out, cleaned em up and tacked em on

Got some friends from back home coming down at the end of the month to help rebuild the motor and get it set in place so should be quite a bit going on from now till then... as long as work cooperates...

epic. how do you get the camper on and off the trailer, haha

The camper stays on the trailer... its the dedicated toy hauler. i have another 20 ft goose and 16 ft bumper pull that i use to haul other stuff. getting it from one trailer to the other was a chore lemme tell ya...

used a bunch of pipe and 2x4s to roll it from one to the other.

ive got the jack poles for it but a couple of the corners were weakened from storm damage so i need to build new brackets that are wide enough to get around the fenders on the trailer and i could remove it pretty easily...

sooooo, as if i wasnt busy enough with work got some upgrades to do to another jeep has put the halt on the MJ... but that just means more money for the build right!?

Doing a rear 4 link/ coil conversion with a mixture of ruff stuff and artec parts (normally i build my own brackets but in the interest of time we decided it was best to buy some) i will say I'm extremely impressed with the artec 4 link brackets we got, shipping was super fast too. and as always, you can't go wrong with ruff stuff.

cutting off the frame behind the rear seat and redoing some of the cage work, also going to add a fuel cell. and stepping up to 36s

Got some friends coming down on thursday for MO to help on the MJ so i sould have a decent update on it next week.