For sale 88 Comanche.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also got after the front bumper and clearanced the wheel wells.... Took roughly 8" off each side of the bumper, and went ahead and followed the cage through the marker lights and blinkers..

Used sheet steel a few tack welds and a hammer to beat the wheel wells into an acceptable shape...

Built the hi-lift mount with junk laying around, the mount brackets are made from some old tube steel cut in half a few wheel mount studs and lug nuts off an old Dana 70 I have laying around.... Couldn't justify buying hi-lift bar mounts when I can make them with stuff around the house.... Getting some use out of the welder and tube bender :rock: .. The lug nuts are large enough you can really wrench em down by hand, worked out great!

Swapped the Peugeot 5 speed

for an aw4...

Ordered a few goodies, radesign Rock shifter and Baja 2 shifter

this makes the manual to auto swap fairly simple.. No wire harness or throttle body and no computer to change... Radesign LLC. Check em out..

Also got d60 and 14b diff covers from Ruff Stuff and the pinion guard... AlsO ordered arctec d60 high steer arms and hardware kit.. Should have all the stuff early next week.. Pics soon to follow...

She's coming alOng.....

Almost forgot... Picked up a set of bead locks off a buddy.. Soft 8's with weld ons.. Should do the trick...

Well got the tranny swapped, to be honest, thought it was gonna be a little harder. Spent Saturday pulling the Peugeot and cleaning up the unnecessary items.. Spent Sunday transplanting the aw4, went really smooth, had to mod the crossmember to compensate for the extra length of the auto and to make a route for the exhaust, but I really think it went well..

That's my brother Josh "wjguy" lending a hand in between beers...

This is the crossmember before I added material to bolt the longer auto to, and also I'm going to cut a trough for the exhaust to pass through without hanging up,on the tranny or the crossmember...

So,this is said trough for the exhaust on the right side of the crossmember, made it wide for radiator lines in the future perhaps...Steel of course....

Now adding the lengthened deck for the aw4 mounting bracket. The bracket was located roughly 6" further towards the rear than the 5speed...

Welded up drilled and tranny mount bolted down, I also raised the the mount 3/4" to get the transfer case above the frame rails, making sure not to bind engine mounts and leaving room around the top,and sides of the tranny and tcase

As for cooling, using a stock cooler for now and replaced the steel bent lines with high temp and high pressure cooling lines, pulled the quick connects from the tranny and replaced with 1/4-3/8 barb fittings and o rings..

Little hard to tell but I'm shooting the 2 black lines...

Routing the cooling lines

These are the quick connects I got rid of...

Not everything showed up today but I did get my RADesign shifters!

The xj set back rock shifter, and the baja II shift controller.. Really excited to get this thing going...

Planning to rip out carpet an do my version of a crawler cockpit, looks good in my head now to transfer to blank canvas......

Figured why not.. Theyre comfy and the price was right, and they look pretty good too. Little fab work to mount em but not to rough.. Got the shifters bolted in there permanent home also.. Looking good, gonna work on harness bar tonight, got a set of 4 points to pick up later today...

Glad to see you on this site.. I looked at pics of this build which made me decide to go with Those Guys for my exo as well.. this thing is a beast ! Maybe I'll have to head down for jeep camp 2013? I live about an hour from liberty.

In fact our cages look very similar. I just got mine a little less built lol:)

Glad to see you on this site.. I looked at pics of this build which made me decide to go with Those Guys for my exo as well.. this thing is a beast ! Maybe I'll have to head down for jeep camp 2013? I live about an hour from liberty.

Patrick does awesome work!!

And jeep camps a blast, usually first or last weekend of June..