1997+ Windshield Wiper Upgrade

My wiper arms were shot, so instead of replacing them with the old pin style I got a pair of the newer 1997 and up XJ arms. They use the newer design J-hook system to fasten the wiper blade. It's a much more solid connection that holds the blade firmly with no shuttering like in the old wobbly pin style. Since the windshields and wiper motors are the same throughout the XJ/MJ years everything fit perfectly. And because of the difference in shape between the old and new arms, an added bonus for me is that my cowl hood now opens about 3" higher w/o contact on the wiper arm tower as before. Good update when you replace the wiper arms.

Nice, clean install Don. :thumbsup: My only question is, do you have to get the entire 97+ assembly (motor, linkage, arms) to install the arms? Or can you just slap those bad boys onto the old points protruding from the cowl?

x2

Nice, clean install Don. :thumbsup: My only question is, do you have to get the entire 97+ assembly (motor, linkage, arms) to install the arms? Or can you just slap those bad boys onto the old points protruding from the cowl?

Only need the arms! The only difference between the old and new wiper assembly is the electrical plug on the motor.

Only need the arms! The only difference between the old and new wiper assembly is the electrical plug on the motor.

:cheers: Awesome. Will definitely be doing this upgrade next time I go out to the P&P.

• 3 years later...

I have to admit that ever since I installed the 97+ wiper arms and new J-hook blades, I've been getting a lot of wiper chatter, especially when it's raining lightly. I've tried several different sets of new blades, re-bushed the wiper motor arm linkage, using a clay bar to thoroughly clean the windshield - twice,  and even Rainex. Nothing stopped the chatter for more than a few minutes. Until...............

I tried a set of the new bracketless blades. They are all composite w/o the metal frame, fit the 97+ J-hook arms, and work great! It's been raining down here almost steadily for the past week, and I've been using the wipers a lot lately. Zero chattering in all kinds of weather with no missed spots or streaking. I know this sounds like a commercial, but these blades really do work as advertised. And they only cost about $10/set on Ebay which is considerably cheaper than a set of the metal frame blades. I don't know how long they will last yet, but they will be very affordable to replace. Give them a try.  

41GkyaHlx-L._SL1500_.jpg

I might need to look into this. My wipers chatter a LOT until the windshield is good and wet. My current blades are roughly 2 year old Tricos that look a lot like the ones you posted, although my (original) arms might just be worn out.

• 1 month later...

I've mostly run the Goodyear blades from Costco for the past few years, they are the beam style. Then working at carquest I ran the base Trico blades.

I work for ford now, at the list price for the "premium flat beam blades" is only 13$/ea. I have thought about trying them out, but I get a better deal with my CQ discount.

• 3 weeks later...

I might need to look into this. My wipers chatter a LOT until the windshield is good and wet. My current blades are roughly 2 year old Tricos that look a lot like the ones you posted, although my (original) arms might just be worn out.

I think you are supposed to change blades every 6mo (per mfgr suggestion for more $$$) or AT LEAST every year..... I had 2nd gen wiper arms that chattered, I fixed them by putting on new blades and tweaking/twisting the arm in the direction of the sweep to eliminate the chatter. And Don, I tried those blades, they worked great until it snowed, mind you, I don't use my wipers as snow brushes (they have a thing with a handle for that) but when I tried to get ice off of them they snapped. I still use them, but only in summer months.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've got the old style arms still and use silicone inserts (about $6 shipped from china) in my metal brackets.  They don't oxidize like rubber and last me about a year or so before I get any chatter.

Side note: Does the motor control where the arms stop?  Ever since I bought my MJ (with rubber and silicone blades), the arms stop at about 20 deg above horizontal, unless it's raining hard, then they slap the cowl.  They're not clocked wrong, the sweep is perfect on the up stroke and doesn't change wet or dry.  Only the bottom of the sweep changes depending on the amount of water on the windshield. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

"bama's (aka HOornbrod) original post is 6 years old now.  Is the 97 XJ still the go to?  Newer?  Can be found new?  Will they work on both an '87 and an "89 MJ?  I assume the blades from the 97 are the size to buy?   Great solution to worn pins!

On 7/31/2018 at 6:45 AM, Manche757 said:

"bama's (aka HOornbrod) original post is 6 years old now.  Is the 97 XJ still the go to?  Newer?  Can be found new?  Will they work on both an '87 and an "89 MJ?  I assume the blades from the 97 are the size to buy?   Great solution to worn pins!

Yes to all the above. Still using the same setup - working great.

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2015 at 2:59 PM, HOrnbrod said:

I have to admit that ever since I installed the 97+ wiper arms and new J-hook blades, I've been getting a lot of wiper chatter, especially when it's raining lightly. I've tried several different sets of new blades, re-bushed the wiper motor arm linkage, using a clay bar to thoroughly clean the windshield - twice,  and even Rainex. Nothing stopped the chatter for more than a few minutes. Until...............

I tried a set of the new bracketless blades. They are all composite w/o the metal frame, fit the 97+ J-hook arms, and work great! It's been raining down here almost steadily for the past week, and I've been using the wipers a lot lately. Zero chattering in all kinds of weather with no missed spots or streaking. I know this sounds like a commercial, but these blades really do work as advertised. And they only cost about $10/set on Ebay which is considerably cheaper than a set of the metal frame blades. I don't know how long they will last yet, but they will be very affordable to replace. Give them a try.  

ebdf1e3a6f97c11d6e43c3b96d77b9a5.jpg

41GkyaHlx-L._SL1500_.jpg

Mr. HOrnbrod, take a look at the red underlined text in your above quote... where can I get those bushings for the wiper transmission arms at? Seems to me that I read somewhere, on this terrific board, that these same bushings are readily available through the 'Help' products, in many of the automotive parts houses. But unfortunately I can not locate that thread!

Oh, now I see the above link!!!

PS: I love that hood, can that be purchased somewhere?

• 1 month later...