MJ 3800 camaro powered

lol, i succeeded. it's a convenience for now, and since this truck is a sorta clean one that isn't wheeled, i don't really wanna make a tire carrier for it in the bed (if i even had time to do it anyways...if I'm not at work, I'm on here because the day's spent or i'm on my break).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

well this has taken a back seat to the 89...temporarily.

plans for september are to remove the dash, and heater assembly, replace with black dash and a/c box, put in a black steering column.

It needs a new trackbar (oh, got one from the 89 left over :P), and new UCA bushings. sadly because of the camaro motor and my exhaust manifolds, I have to remove the exhaust to get the bolts out...unless I torch the bolts, which might not be a bad idea come to think of it...

then the 8.8 will be ready to go in. going with the one with 3.55 gears for now, since I don't want to change gears on this truck, just drive it with all wheel discs.

and I have to repaint the entire bottom edge (both sides) as this one is rusting

plans for september are to remove the dash, and heater assembly, replace with black dash and a/c box, put in a black steering column.

Thought about ya at the JY today when I came across a black steering column and wheel. I also found a D44 in an XJ but the guy wanted more than twice the price of my regular pick and pull. It was $250 which wasn't too bad but if I'm patient, I'll have one for cheaper. Didn't dare ask how much for the wheel. Hope you got one already.

:cheers:

Thought about ya at the JY today when I came across a black steering column and wheel. I also found a D44 in an XJ but the guy wanted more than twice the price of my regular pick and pull. It was $250 which wasn't too bad but if I'm patient, I'll have one for cheaper. Didn't dare ask how much for the wheel. Hope you got one already.

:cheers:

doncha hate them high prices?

yep, got a black column (have to swap cruise stalk into it), and a nice leather wrapped black steering wheel. all I need is the black horn button with the hex heads now...so if ya find one of them, pocket it!

• 4 weeks later...

well, a 97+ wiper reservoir will be installed soon. this winter, I'm replacing the driver's side cab corner (rusting through worse than I thought...I'm NOT happy with the guy who did the paint and finishing body work right now.

I also hope to remove the valve covers and upper intake to repaint them...they got slightly scratched up during the install. I also have to alter the driver's side exhaust manifold because it's too close to the frame rail for my comfort (it's quite possible that it's been heating up the UCA bushing).

getting a non-cad front axle with 297's that's not bent (unlike my current one :P) on saturday morning, along with a chryco 8.25 and they're both 3.55 gearing with 100,000 miles on them. they'll both be installed, and I may upgrade to an 8.8 at a later date...and regearing to 3.73's up front.

the axle deal may be happening within the next few weeks, my current axle is fubar it's thrown off all the alignment etc from having the left C bent inwards. needs new UCA bushings as well so the upgrade may as well happen all in one go.

I'll also be purchasing a new black carpet and removing the black rubber matt...I will be running completely waterproof insulation so that the moisture doesn't hold and rust the floor.

rusting already!! yikes!! i would be pissed to if that happened to my truck too.

yea, come take a look at my driver's side cab corner, and my driver's side rear quarter...paint FELL OFF right in front of the bumper. i don't mean cracked, I mean a 50 cent piece sized section of paint completely fell off.

so guys, if you're local to me, find a better place than I did. the paintjob cost me $1800 and in less than 3 years, it's rusting. how $#!&ty is that?

• 1 month later...

well, got a new front axle for it, a 1994 dana 30 with 3.55's and normal 260 joints. but it's in good shape, not bent, good hub bearings, and no CAD to speak of (thank god).

also tore the ax5 outta tater before I scrapped it, so I have a good tranny and t-case to replace my worn out one (bad bearings and syncros on 1-3 gears lol).

it got hit in the back of the bed, so at the very least I gotta clean up the problem area and bend it back and primer it...I'm not driving it this winter anyways.

also have an xj 8.25 rear axle from the 94 xj. not sure on spline count, and I don't really think I wanna install it...unless I can get a disc brake kit for it for cheap. it's low pinion. i don't like that.

and I would like to lift it and put the 33's I have under it.

by the way Pat, the Jefferson swap meet is this weekend. i am going Sunday. thought i would tell you just in case you needed to buy something.

thanks wade, I just found that out today...I'm going to platteville this weekend, but I think my bro and I are gonna crash at my apartment 2nite, go in the morning, and head up to platteville via madison after that at about 2 or so...

thanks though!

oh, the grinding in the tranny is TERRIBLE now...I'm gonna try swapping fluid tonite to see if that will help for now. also, I'm putting a "new" wheel bearing on the front left side since that's the problem side....I just don't have time to actually replace anything major right now. the xj has gotta be done first so I can park this POS.

....it blew.

no work on yankin motor now this weekend, gotta prep the new tranny 2nite, go see the sis til sunday, and install the new tranny sunday nite.

sucks.

my puke-goat has been grinding when i go to shift but only if I'm gettin on it, like if i slam a shift at 4,500 it'll grind a slight bit ont he way in,

and then if i downshift from 5th to 4th without revvin it up a tiny bit, or movin up towards 3rd then puttin it back to 4th, like swing almost into 3rd then hit 4th it won't grind but if i just downshift to 4th itll grind

sound anything like what yours was doin before it took the poop?

it was the secondary shaft front bearing or w/e.

I put the new tranny in, with help from my dad. also my rear ujoint on the main d-shaft was bad so he replaced that.

it works, 4wd actuator doesn't due to a bad vac. switch on the t-case.

here's the rundown on tranny removal...what a b*tch with the 3800 and my exhaust manifolds...

1. remove rear d.s.

2. remove speedo cable.

3. support tranny with a stand.

6. disconnect exhaust support

7. drop tranny crossmember

8. unbolt front driveshaft entirely

9. disconnect shift linkage.

10. disconnect y-pipe from manifold disco o2 sensor and knock sensor, move wires, disconnect ALL of the exhaust supports, and either slide the exhaust out the side of the truck, leaving it hang over the axle, or remove it entirely.

11. under hood...remove pass. side exhaust manifold entirely. it's in the way of the bellhousing on the back end. disco o2 sensor

12. remove center console, floor seal, shifter.

13. remove dust shield

14. support tranny with jack, lower it down.

15. unbolt bellhousing from engine block.

16. slide tranny back, down, and out.

install is in exact reverse.

I hate that exhaust manifold. it adds alot of extra work...I should rebuild the lower portion of it.