MJ 3800 camaro powered

Did the tire pass you when it fell off? That's always a funny thing to see.

nope, i got it slowed down enough beforehand

the drop to the ground wrecked the backing plate, brakes, and brake drum.

so, the sensible route is to just upgrade to a LSD MJ 44 rear with matching 3.55 gears, since i'm not gonna spend $$$ on an axle that i'll just break anyways

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pics of the damage from the tire (yes, the dent is from the other accident...)

GAH! :headpop: :mad:

the driveshaft, which was 1" too short before, is now around 3" too long! :hateputers:

W00T jamminz.gif :brows: :cheers: 8)

dana 44 installed

i was going to have the driveshaft cut down tomorrow.

BUT

put the dana 35 under the 87 I yanked the 44 out of so i can move it, and found out the driveshaft for it was 3" too short :headpop:

but... :brows:

got to thinking, could I swap the shafts?

YES.

the shorter one is from the swb 4.0 2wd auto MJ equipped with dana 44, the black one is from the 3800 (2.8 5 speed 4wd longbed MJ equipped dana 35)

now off to rebuild the "new" shaft...

motor blew.

No popping heads, no cussing, no throwing computers, just a calm "motor blew."

Are you giving up?

Say, which motor you talking about? The 3800, or the one that had the timing problem?

motor spun a few bearings, at least. it's running low compression and low oil pressure, and leaking coolant. the oil level is full and it idles fine, but any rev above 1500 RPM results in alot of clanking etc.

i'm not even mad...the motor was getting replaced anyways with a 2001 series 3 3800 supercharged, that will be bored .030 over and running a slightly lower compression ratio than stock, with a smaller pulley on an Eaton M90 supercharger.

i don't know what caused the bearings to spin, but I've had the feeling for awhile that this was going to happen, and last oil change I got some scraps from bearings so it wasn't a big surprise...i just was hoping to make it another few weeks until the other truck is done.

but, I'm not having a good time with this truck...fix one problem, on to the next.

so answer is, yes, I am giving up.

...for now.

just concentrate on the new one so it runs reliably for you. then you can go head first into a full restore on the 3800.

that's pretty much the idea.

at the moment, I want to put a 3.8 supercharged v6 in it, with the jeep 2500 front end, 97+ doors and interior, and TJ 6 speed transmission with NP242 transfercase.

so, I'm strippin it out unless I think I can rebuild the motor for cheap-ish...

• 4 weeks later...

well this will be the last update on this truck for awhile.

i've decided most everything to do to it...acquired an ax15 trans, i've got an np242 transfercase for it, and am not sure whether to do the supercharged or just rebuild this motor to new with some performance parts. it had plenty of power, i just couldn't use it properly cause of the transmission and rear axle.

clearing up a spot in the shop for it this weekend, and I will proceed to strip out the front clip and remove the motor and transmission as time allows. then off with the bed, hood, doors fenders, and interior. redo the floors and then I will be ready.

i'll be buying the 2500 front clip to install on it, and building the front clip to 2500 specs with the bumpers and everything. new dana 30 non-disco front axle, 3.55 gearing will remain. properly undercoating/por15 the entire undercarriage, and rebuild the exhaust to run duals. factory MJ rear bumper with some reinforcement, fix the dents and rust issues.

in other terms...it's going to become a street MJ with a 97+ interior and completely custom gauges, and a tonneau cover on the back (hard cover). tires and rims will remain the same, but the whole truck perhaps including the flares will be white, with black inserts.

• 1 year later...