Replacing the Interior Lights -- (How I did it)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here in Dallas, there is no such thing as Advance Auto Parts :eek: ... so, does anyone know what the Chrysler OEM Part# is for these assemblies is? I'm having one hell of a time even finding the OEM part listed anywhere...which is probably why everyone is replacing them with an after market assembly...

• 3 months later...

Hey all, I'm new to the site, and felt like adding my own 2 cents worth of input. I tried BLHTAZ's interior light suggestion and I have to say that it works pretty darn well! It's a lot better than trying to start the truck and having to deal with finding the key cylinder in the dark. Very nice writeup BLHTAZ. :cheers:

• 2 months later...
Just thought I'd add to this, because it is an awesome thread that a lot of us did not know about. Below is a pic of the ashtray light, i.e. w/the blue cover.

In addition, while i had the dash apart, i noticed there is a light that clips on to the cig lighter. it lights up a green glow ring around the lighter on the dash and also shines down in to the lighter socket to illuminate that. i noticed its the same assembly as the ashtray light, just a different end on it. and since i had just replaced the ashtray light, luck me, they came in a 2 pack, so now i'm just about all lit up. i still need to figure out the hvac light and i will have gone from completely dark at purchase in sept. to fully lit now. Sorry for the bad res on this pic, at night w/camera phone. I detached it from the lighter socket to show a little better.

by the way, the bulb part # for the ashtray is an 1891, and for the kick panel lights is a 194.

I'm guessing that ashtray light must be on a different circuit in order to work as intended. that would make a huge difference for me - I'm chronic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those that have done the footwell light mod....The drivers side only comes on when you turn the headlights on, and stays on (until you turn headlights off).....Is this correct function? Is there a way to make it go on/off with the door opening without splicing in to the passenger side light?

-E.

• 1 month later...

I installed the euramatec lights last nihgt, and they look great!

The drivers side is working exactly as I would expect.

It comes on when either door opens, or if I turn the dimmer switch to the far left, or if I "toggle" the light itself

However, the passenger's side stays on all the time.

The only way to turn it off is to unplug it from the harness.

Help ! any ideas why this would be happening?

One more note (and I'll test this when I get my next opportunity).

I'm thinking that the positive lead (red wire) to the interior lights must be hot all the time.

It would be a combination of the other 2 black wires that would complete the circuit and turn the light on.

The door switch, dash dimming switch, and "toggle" mechanism in the light must all work to complete one of the black wire circuits.

I'm thinking that one of my black wires is somehow grounded out to the truck, prior to reaching the switch mechanism... causing it to be a completed circuit at all times

I'll post back what I find.

OK - I found the issue. The DOOR JAMB SWITCH on the passengers side was mangled to the point that it was shorting out. A quick trip to Advance Auto Parts and $6.50 later... and the lights are working correctly. (that's 3.25 per new switch. I replaced the driver's side while I was at it)

Here are to pics of the Euramatec lights installed:

• 8 months later...