Alexia's 1987 To 1997 Comanche

So, the differential shop was a flop on Wednesday.  I showed up at the scheduled early morning appointment and the owner was missing.  I did get to test towing it though.

HulkTow.jpg

An idea of how much wire had to be removed to shorten the power accessory harness.

WireShorter.jpg

Finally... a spray in bed liner!

Bedliner.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 7:03 PM, JMO413 said:

Wow what a build! Definitely a good read.

Thank you!

Update: I just replaced the AEM Wideband controller and sensor with a brand matching Haltech Widebrand controller and sensor.  Immediately the engine is running great and stock like.  However, now the transmission keeps trying to hold third gear.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am done with this truck.  The replacement transmission was acting up I assume due to the valve body modifications I made for harder shifts.  So I just swapped in the spare stock valve body I have.  Now it only has first and third gear.  Well, it had second and fourth until I got to the intersection to block everyone.  I have put less than 10,000 miles on this project since starting it seven years ago.  I could not just leave it alone after it was running fine before going the Haltech route and I ruined it.

On 7/5/2019 at 11:25 AM, thecodemonk said:

Hey Alexia, did you ever test the CAN to CCD box in the vehicle?  I didn't see an update to that. If so, how'd the testing go? (I assume no news means it probably went great).

The code is not finished(fuel and odometer), but it works fine.

That's really sad to hear Alexia.  I know how the frustrations can make a truck sit for a while.  Hopefully, a break from it for a bit will help to bring back that initial excitement for it.  Any way to go back and undo some of the frustration and get it back to the way it was when you were having more fun?

Alexia, don't give up. I know you have a ton of time and money in this project. Maybe a step away will clear the mind. I was feeling frustrated when I put the fuel injection and distributor on and was having problems. One day good next bad. GRRRRR. I still have to adjust my IAC about once a month for some stupid reason (just did it last night) but then it runs great again. I need to take the fuse box apart and clean it real good because I think that was the problem with the distributor. But it's running good so maybe later. When you are innovating you are learning for the next guy to try what you did. Good luck.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:37 PM, thecodemonk said:

That's really sad to hear Alexia.  I know how the frustrations can make a truck sit for a while.  Hopefully, a break from it for a bit will help to bring back that initial excitement for it.  Any way to go back and undo some of the frustration and get it back to the way it was when you were having more fun?

The easiest would be to grab a 1997 engine and body wiring harness to toss in.  It would be back to normal in a day minus the transmission problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The transmission works fine now?  Maybe?  Question mark?

I just drove it around the neighborhood to work it a bit and it shifted into second gear without hesitating.  I am going to go for a drive after dinner and see if I get stranded.

I drove it around a few miles and put gas in it.  It managed to keep forward gears this time, but it is clear that one or both of the clutch packs are slipping.

I am going to see if I can get it rebuilt for a reasonable price.

• 1 month later...

Poll, sort of: I am super frustrated with the AW4, it will cost way too much to rebuild it, and I am close to just parting out this truck over a transmission issue.

So, time for a manual transmission swap?  I would have to collect a clutch pedal again since I believe I sold that.  New/modified driveshafts.  Relocate the wiring harness that is using the clutch hole in the firewall.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

what about just another aw4?  I mean, a second one can't possibly have the same issue, can it?  or do we think the problem is somewhere else in the Jeep? 

This is the second one and third torque converter.  I keep breaking them.  Also, the 1997 AW4 is an oddly specific transmission year.  I can get an earlier transmission, but I would also need to make wiring harness modifications.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:21 AM, Ls2xjcomanche said:

I believe it’s stronger than an AW4 so should be fine. One of my friends has had an AX-15 with his LS motor for about 3 years and hasn’t had any issues. 

I believe the strength progression goes Built AW4 > Stock AX15 > Stock AW4.