Comanche Camper... The Comansion!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to call the kitchen done. I only have to finish the water tank fill but that includes going out and getting a foot of 1 1/4"ID tubing. The outside just needed some finishing touches.

I also figured out what to do about that nasty mattress pad that came with it... threw it away... it was for the best. To replace it was a tough find because the WilderNest uses a goofy size mattress that isn't a standard size. The closest I could find was a twin size air mattress... way more comfy than the original too. Not quite a perfect fit as the original was a little bigger. It'll work.

Soon... soon.

Awesome! jamminz.gif

Gonna clean up those wheels a bit?

Thanks dude! I'd like to paint the wheels a dark graphite color eventually... because black and white is all kinds of cool. Kinda like an old print ad. WHAT, WHAT?!

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't quite get it done just yet... but today is the day for the maiden voyage! Still need to fix the corner and clean the tent. Not sure if I'll get on here again before we take off so expect some good updates on Sunday. Have a nice weekend everyone! :jump:

... okay, so this thing is a totally awesome place to call home. I was thinking that it would be cold being that the canvas isn't insulated. Planning for a few cold nights dipping down to about fifty or so degrees, the wife and I bundled up the first night and just about died of heat stroke. With everything in place and the tail and lift gate shut, this thing stays tight enough that bugs weren't even an issue! Sure, with the windows open for the whole day each night started off a little cold, but after about a half an hour with two people inside the temperature stays very comfortable. Very happy with our weekend!

The weekend started with actually finishing the camper enough to use it... what, you guys finish projects on time? I didn't get the axle finished but all that it needs are lower shock mounts and shocks. Being that we didn't have to go all that far, I just took it easy around the corners and kept an eye on it bouncing around in the rear view. Couple little odds and ends that we could live without, but one thing that I had been worrying about were the fiberglass wands that keep the tent tight. Maybe something out of aluminum or finding something that'll bow and go back... tough to find or so I thought. While on a last minute camping cruise through Fleet Farm and I walked by the perfect solution... Coleman universal repair tent poles! Cut to fit and in place they were just the ticket.

Next I finally fixed the corner on the canvas that had ripped the screws out of the fiberglass and we were off! That's where this came in:

LET'S GO CAMPIN'!!!

So we did! Made our way all of a mile and change around the corner to Lake Carlos State Park. Why so close? Well... just in case I suppose. We did some reconnaissance a few weeks before and found the campsite that was the most out of the way from the rest of the park.

Being that we couldn't get to our site until after 4:00, we didn't have a whole lot of time for much activities... so how about some camping food?! The first night's dessert included some pie iron cherry pies. Yummo!

Enter the blazing night of Satan's breath and the next day was filled with hitting the hiking and biking trails... after a camp stove breakfast, of course.

Bacon, peppers, onions, and more than a few eggs. Yes please!

After a day of biking and hiking, we were ready for another evening of dinner over the fire. Aluminum foil wrapping some steak cubes, potatoes, and peppers were on the menu. Throw in a few smores and some tasty libations and another day past rather quickly. Sunday was pretty much a rinse and repeat of Saturday except we needed to leave the park by 4:00. Didn't take a while lot of pictures, but again we had a great time! Some nice change of scenery...

... a fair amount of this...

... and a whole lot of this.

Good weekend. Good weekend.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

now you should put its own power supply on it and rin some lights in it and hook up a stereo in it it it would be easy to cut some holes in some of the compartments and add speakers and and ipod/phone hook up and you got some tunes could hook up some subs and have a mobile system lol jk but this thing is awesome i would love something like this

One of the original thoughts was to add a 12v battery so I could run a few electronics. The more I thought about it, I thought that it took away from some of the simplistic charm of the whole idea. Besides, the less stuff there is, the less stuff to go wrong. :idea:

As far as pictures... uh... sorta packed away right now. I need to really air it out before winter and I'll try to snap some when that time comes. :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

Wow, I just happened to stuble upon this while googling some stuff and all I can say is wow. Great job with the project man it looks great!

Thanks! Just about a year since an update too! Good enough time as any, I suppose... Nothing has happened with this. Still needs tires. Still needs a few final touches. Been too busy to take it out and enjoy it. Sad, really... Still around though!