Comanche Camper... The Comansion!!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking good, for getting the carpet to stay on the back side what about a short piece of 1"x1" stainless or aluminum screwed or riveted into place.

Thanks guys!

That's what I was thinking. Just something simple.

Thanks dude!

Just checked on it and the bedliner is setting up well. Hopefully I can get this put together for the last time this week. I still need to finish up on a few things underneath like the lower shock mounts and getting the proper hardware for mounting the box to the frame. I should probably get back to the filler neck for the water tank too... need to finish the toolbox first. Got some material this morning too for some curtains... maybe some throw pillows. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Decided that it was a good day to mate the topper and trailer back together for good.

Also removed the 33s for something a little more reasonable:

235x75s on turbines... totally diggin' the turbines! I think it gives it a feal that jumps right out of a WilderNest catalog from the early '90s! Dated look? You bet! They really need a good scrub or I'm also kicking around the idea of painting the wheels black or a graphite color.

Again, still need to finish everything on the outside of the trailer... but I still think it needs to be said:

LET'S GO CAMPIN'!!!

wow. completely missed that thread haha.

I have kept my eyes open for another wildernest as well! I really want one, but I can only find one for fullsize trucks.

Going to have to fight me for one first. I check every day, and I have some cash laying around for the cause... It shall be an epic battle to the death.

I'm on to you...

Rob :fs2:

I have kept my eyes open for another wildernest as well! I really want one, but I can only find one for fullsize trucks.

Going to have to fight me for one first. I check every day, and I have some cash laying around for the cause... It shall be an epic battle to the death.

I'm on to you...

:hijack: As do I :waving:

I'm on to you...

I completely agree that these are kinda hard to find. Really, the only reason that this build is happening is from pure luck. Even though this is happening, I too can't help but to check around on a daily basis. :peek:

Kitchen is almost done. Needs weather stripping, a kick-stand under the counter top for support, propane tank mount, and a good scrub with the scotch bright pad.

I had bigger plans of working on this thing over the weekend but lost a couple days with another issue. Had a pipe break off right after the pump making a huge mess out of my basement. :wall:

Really Ben, stellar work. The route you're going with this is exactly how I envisioned it when I was brainstorming a similar idea. Every step has been top notch and not a single corner cut. Congratulations on such a great job!

• 2 weeks later...

Time to get to the little stuff and start the list of things that need getting done yet. I found some dimensions for the brackets that make the pop out windows go "POP-POP!".

Probably add a wing nut or something to keep it upright. Next on the list is a flash light... because everyone needs a flash light.

Then there's the lights. I was hoping to just finish everything up by just throwing some lights in and some lenses to wrap it up... not so much. Can't believe that I never saw this, but the bulb sockets are toasted.

Not to worry! Rather than swapping the sockets, I figured it would be easier to just change out the whole harness from the factory pulg back. Just pull one off the shelf, right? Yup!

Then there's the tire carrier. I hate drilling into this thing, but wanted to add a little more support and tie it into the bed.

Plenty strong! Next are the support poles. Again, these are another one of those little parts that I didn't get with the topper. Oh well. I made up these so they extend from 4-7'. At the top I added a loop just in case I were to ever want to tie to a tree or something. I dunno... seemed right at the time but I think they just look goofy now. Again, oh well. If anything, they're a good spot to hang some party lights.

To keep them in the proper spot, just a simple hose clamp does the job. They don't need much since they're just there to keep everything steady. I found some cool clamps with a thumb knob to keep things easy.

I wanted something simple for the rear bumper that didn't look goofy or out of the ordinary... I mean... let's keep this simple, right? Again, I kept with stainless but I have to say that I'm torn weither or not to paint it. The kick stands for the rear just bolt on.

Obligatory weld close ups:

I thought about adding a receiver or something, but I liked the simplicity of it.

On a down side, seems as though there's a crack by the front window. I knew that it was there, but I don't know if it opened up with bolting the topper down to the bed... or if I'm just paranoid.

Anyway... pictures!!!

I think it looks pretty serious all put up! Need to finish up soon though. Reserved a spot for the first weekend in June for a maiden voyage!