Project "Black Betty"

Here are a couple pics of the donor Jeep. It runs very good, that is a major plus! I have been messing with the gauge clusters a little here and there. I think I got it figured out. I will be able to adapt the ZJ gauges to a HO XJ cluster! What does mean you ask?

I will be able to retain a factory MJ interior while using a FI small block! The next hurdle will be the heater/HVAC wiring. I am hoping to be able to adapt the ZJ wiring to run a HO era XJ heater box. All in due time. This getting dark at 5:00 stuff really hurts my tinker time.

Here are the pics of the $400 donor rig. Oh, I sold the tires and wheels from it for $200!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, that looks like a decent rig! Why not fix the front end and sport it! jamminz.gif

LOL, I pulled the front end off to work on it. There is nothing wrong with it really. I bought the ZJ strictly for a donor for my MJ. I did the same thing with the sweet 97 I bought for Onyx. They are just metal and parts to me, LOL!!!!

I spent about 10 hours this weekend cutting up the factory dash to get this done to it...

I installed the ZJ's gauge cluster, heater control switch, and the headlight switch. I don't know if I am going to use this dash or not. The cover is trashed and the whole thing is in rough shape. I have not checked into getting it recovered but I am sure it is not cheap. I also cut a few things I did not need to. There was a lot of trial and error with this project. I still need to finish the cluster surround but, it is getting there.

That's a new spin on something, I like the idea of molding the two together. I have seen a MJ with the ZJ dash installed but I am a fan of the old dash. If I wanted it to look like a Grand I'd buy one. This is a great idea thanks for the pics.

Glad to see that you have Betty back! I have an 89 lwb pioneer with a 4.0 and BA5. My engine has a lower end knock and 3rd gear scratches in the tranny. So, I bought a 92 Dakota with a 5.2 auto and 231hd case, I probably should have bought a GC instead of a Dakota, cause I'm not sure how its gonna get bolted in yet. This should be fun!

I spent about 10 hours this weekend cutting up the factory dash to get this done to it...

I installed the ZJ's gauge cluster, heater control switch, and the headlight switch. I don't know if I am going to use this dash or not. The cover is trashed and the whole thing is in rough shape. I have not checked into getting it recovered but I am sure it is not cheap. I also cut a few things I did not need to. There was a lot of trial and error with this project. I still need to finish the cluster surround but, it is getting there.

I still want to beat the inbred son of a b who jackass painted a factory black interior because he felt like he wanted to be cool with his white homies.

Rob L.

I feel you there Rob. It still makes me sick to look at it. I used to take such good care of that truck too. Live and learn I guess.

I have been messing around with the ZJ gauge dash plastics too. I can't get the head light switch to fit the way I want it too. I am thinking about cutting the ZJ plastics down to fit over the stock MJ dash. I am getting close to having a rough product. Hopefully by this weekend I will have a few pics of what I am working with.

Is it really that bad to paint the dash black? I wanna do it to mine. I really hate the red interior. I wasnt planning on leaving any red like that guy did. but idk.

You are mistaken. My truck had the rare factory black interior that some fool painted and butchered.

I have a grey dash and painted some of it red as I have the diff covers and all that painted. Before I did that I made sure I had a spare dash. Have you tried taking some brake clean to that red paint? Chances are he didn't prep it very good and the paint wiil come off easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report but I figured I would keep you updated on the build.

I have the interior stripped out of Betty, all of it. I also tore all the wiring out. I left the rear section to the pump and lights.

I will be putting a HO era dash and wiring inside. I am going to try and retain a factory look inside with a MPI V8 under the hood.

I will be pulling the under hood harness out of the ZJ to start identifying which wires I need and don't. There is a lot of excess crap in that harness that will not make the cut, literally! I will not be using ABS, outside temp, and all the other stuff that a base truck should not have.

Once all the wires are figured out I will be adapting it to a HO era XJ under hood harness. It is going to be a royal PIA to get it running but it will be worth it in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...

For the last couple weeks this has been my nightmare.

:nuts:

That would be a 94 XJ/94 ZJ engine harness laying there. You will also see three different FSMs and the laptop with more wirining diagrams pulled up.

For anyone thinking about doing a Magnum swap I suggest you read and study the FSMs for each vehicle involved.

I decided today to eliminate the A/C wiring for now. I need to do more research on how the system operates and know what parts I need to make what work. The ZJ and XJ have entirely different systems. I will get to it one of the days just not right now. I don't use A/C very much as is. I may never put it in. Only time will tell.

I pulled the 5.2,46RH,NP249 combo out today. That was fun! It is sitting in the garage waiting to be dropped in the MJ. I will hopefully have it sitting in the engine bay in a couple weeks!

I need to get the V8 fitted before I can finish the wiring. I think I am going to put the ZJ PCM inside under the dash where the stock PCM was. With wanting to put the the PCM inside I am not sure where the haness needs to be attached and how much needs to be left out to reach the front of the engine.

I think the floor needs to be hacked for the transfer to fit. I will not be using a 249. I will either slide a 242 in there or a 231.

awesome work :D

before you go anyfurther tho i would clean out that engine bay :thumbsup:

other then that :drool:

can't wait to see more

Thanks,

You must not know how anal I am with my builds. The engine bay will be spotless before it hits the raod. This was just a test fit. The engine needs to drop about 2" in front to make me happy. The fan is sitting even with the rad support and the intake is just above the fender line.

I am going to take a hard look at things this week and see what needs to be done to get it to sit down in the bay lower than it is.