• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few engine choices in mind...

a 318 or 360,

a 4.7 V8,

or

a 4BT Cummins with a hand shaker behind it.

The Cummins will be limited because of the smog issues out here in California. If I can find a 86 Diesel vin and title then I may go that route...

• 4 weeks later...

I traded my 84 Waggy XJ to the junk yard for a set of mint 97 ZJ seats, 97+ XJ 2 door seat tilt mechanisms, and a 97+ 2 door XJ driver side power window switch and bezel.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16295

I am going to go back up next weekend and pull all the interior wiring from the 2 door. I want to take a shot at doing another 97+ conversion on this truck. I will not be selling this one this time.

I have turned away from doing the 4 door conversion on this truck. There are two main reasons for it.

1) I do not want to get that far involved in a build with less than 2 1/2 years left before I retire from the Corps and move back to the east coast.

2) Betty was my first running and driving MJ. I have a lot of history with this truck and really want to keep her just as she is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, if you decide on the 4.7 make sure you measure before committing any funds. The 4.7 is SOHC so it is wide.

I've been thinking about a Honda J engine mated to a AW4. Not sure if you'd need to make an adapter but I think it would be a cool engine to try. Just a pipe dream. My MJ is getting the 4.0/AW4/interior out of my 98 XJ.

• 2 weeks later...
The project has stalled because of lack of funds. I will more than likely just drop a 4.0 into it and call it a day. I did get in on a 2500 front end buy. The 97+ front end has been sold to fund the conversion!

better start my 97+ converison for me for more funds lol :cheers:

full on conversion engine front clip and interior for 1000 bucks??

you supply the parts. I'd assume that doesn't include any paint to match things.

nah not paint I'm not worryed about that for now lol

we're off topic, but where are you located?

• 4 weeks later...

I just found my donor rig!

It is a 94 ZJ, 5.2, auto, 4x4 Limited. Looks like I got the V8 before the 4.0 for the swap. I am not sure where to start with this one just yet. I am thinking get the Magnum bolted in then move onto the wiring mess.

I will work on it a little bit in the up coming weeks and see what I figure out.

She is going to scream with 4:56s and 33s!

I have had no time to deal with the donor due to Turkey Day. I have been thinking about using the ZJs dash in the truck. The ZJ has a really cool digital heater area. I think that would be trick in the MJ. :brows:

I think the ZJ dash with it's updated look would flow better with the 2500 front end. Plus that will solve about 9000 wiring issues. The biggest hurdle using the ZJ dash will be it's width. I would have to trim it down a couple inches to fit.

Once I get nuts deep in the project I will document it better than I did with Onyx's build.

Stay tuned!

:cheers: