what do u do for a living?

cocy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts Manager/Service Coordinator at a Case IH dealer in Wingate,IN. Bane-Welker Equipment is a full line AG dealer in Indiana and Ohio with 13 stores selling parts, service and equipment for over a dozen major brands. In the AG world, there is always change, and that keeps me interested and always learning new things.  

Also work on our family farm when time allows.

Public Works Fleet Mechanic(I.U.O.E. Local 150). I work for the town where they filmed "Groundhog's Day". We work on everything from chainsaws, weed wackers, police cars, pickup trucks, skidsteers, front end loaders, pumps, dump trucks, and heavy equipment. We do anything and everything when it comes to repairs and fabrication. It's a pretty diverse job, the only thing that could make it better is some co-workers would move on. Currently bearing down for plow season, which I loathe with much passion.

Can't wait for spring.

Rob

Been awhile since I wondered into this area... Needs some updating. Had some restructuring at work, a leadership role was opened up, I applied and was promoted to Fleet Division Foreman. My co-worker did an internal transfer to another division, I brought in one of the good guys from another division that knew enough about cars, and hired external where a former manager of mine now works in my team. I just put the paperwork together to submit to council for a $160,000 plow truck. Same job, just with more paperwork and a/c time. And an office in an electrical room. Like Milton in Office Space.

I love what I do, and the guys I work with. Pay could be a little better, but it could be worse.

Rob

I should update this again. I spent a year and a half as the fleet foreman under a superintendent that split time between streets and fleet. That guy didn't do anything with fleet because I was doing everything behind the scenes (Because he knew nothing about vehicles, and that was fine with me). That guy left and they let me run fleet as Interim. They saw the importance of having a dedicated fleet superintendent, so I applied and was promoted to super, and eliminated the foreman role. I oversee the same two guys I did before except now on salary, no longer have to come in to babysit plows in winter, and have the backing of my director to make the moves I need to. It's a good gig.

Currently evaluating a switch to Peterbilt from International (been problem ridden lately) and getting ready for leaf season.

Rob

Yep, we have our own leaf collection vacs. We have tow-behind units that have their own pony motors and a seat. They habe to go behind our International dump trucks. You use a joystick and it moves a hose large enough to crawl through side to side and sucks the leaves up. The hoppers hold 20 to 25 yards and they usually fill up 3 machines 3 to 4 times each daily for 4 weeks. I'll post some pics when I think about it. The impellors are a 2 man lift and smash anything to bits. Our older machines have holes in the steel rear doors from hard objects launched via the impellor.

Rob

that's gotta be waaaaay better than trying to deal with it on your own. :D  my michigan town owns the landfill and the leaves get turned into methane.  but they don't have a collection system like yours.  We have to bag/can it all or they won't take it.  :(  clearly they need a spartan leaf pro plus :yes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I build pneumatic tools (die grinders, ratchets, drills, hammers, buffers, etc) for a living. Though two years ago I was promoted to shift lead/supervisor, then bought a house, and then they laid off my team. So now I build tools, handle the shipping, inventory, ordering, order closing, repairs, and some light machining, along with being the back up tech maintenance when our server guy is out. And occasionally I take the trash out. But I do not answer phones. On the side, I do sanding prep and polishing for metal, but I'm getting away from that, and also do computer work, mostly data extraction on failed devices, though I'm also getting away from that. Too much time working, not enough time Jeeping  :D

• 3 months later...

Retired hospice nurse for real. You don't want to know what I used my Comanche for. That's typical hospice nurse dark humor. It was a copping mechanism yeah had to have it. Hope my last ride is in a Comanche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technical college welding instructor

I'd like to add fabricator/welder for Alexandria Aircraft, Bellanca along with plenty of on the side metal work.
Time to update soon... I've given up on trying to mold the next generation of welders as a teacher. Just can't do it anymore and I'm tired of being responsible for those who really don't care to be there. So I had a weld test and interview at a local shop that builds bridges and completely knocked it out of the park. Looks like I'm going back into the private sector! Not overly crazy about it, but the shop is all of a quarter mile from our house and it's just too easy to move into this job. On the plus side, the company also has a plant outside of Denver. No welding, but it could make for an easy transfer for something temporary in the future.

I'm just a welder again and I'm only responsible for me... and I'm okay with that.

Suppose I'm due again. After a move from MN to CO in August, I've since found a job as an offroad automotive fabricator... and it's awesome.  :D

• 8 months later...