• 5 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, vw jeep guy said:

does anyone have info/ pics of doing the rear under spring mod...........I see Rusty's has a suspension lift kit to do that

a "spring over" or SOA conversion needs perches welded to the top of the axle in the appropriate location.  then shock mounts will need to be welded on too.  I would also replace the old ubolts too. :L:  oh, and a longer flexible brake line. 

Thx Pete M for your response

I should of mention, I’m using a 8.25, therefore I have all the brackets/ plates to bolt up. I’m curious about switching the leaf bolt around. 

I'm going with the disc brake mod with plates from a Grand Cherokee, so I’ll need to change the lines anyways.

• 8 months later...
49 minutes ago, Oldman said:

Very informative article. I do however have a question. It’s about all those firewall modifications. Wouldn’t it be simpler to just cut out part of the firewall form  the donor Xj And mj and weld it in?

There are a lot of different ways you can go about it, quite a few people have cut that portion of firewall from the XJ and welded it in like you describe and it could be considered the "factory" way of doing it.  For mine I just cut the new holes where they needed to be and patched over the old ones.

Thanks for the reply. I just got my Comanche so I haven’t started the conversion yet , just doing so research..I do know that the vin is stamped

behind the booster and I don’t want to cut that out.hopefully it not in the way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this thread is older but I have a question on the cab wiring. Did you keep the extra plugs on the xj harness for the back two doors? I want to get rid of them and was wondering how. I hacked mine off and haven’t finished but I realized I messed up the fuel pump wiring by doing so. 

• 7 months later...

Just to add since I am currently in the process of a 97+ swap, and a 5.3 swap. 

I wanted to keep a 5 speed transmission in my MJ, there is a difference in the firewall for the 5 speed and automatic. It is just a couple of holes to drill out but it is not something that I thought about before. You would need to find a 5 speed clutch and brake assembly to make this work which is getting rare. The aluminum bracket is the same however so that is good. 

You can see in the picture where the dimples are for the bolt holes, and also the punch out for the clutch engagement.

20220929_140244.jpg