Project "Honcho" - The '87 MJ

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent 2 hours tonight cleaning up my new 10 Spokes. Got them from Brandon (Btm24) yesterday. The good thing is they look nice, and clean up well. The bad thing is, they are all going to have to be professionally resurfaced down the road. I do not want to spend $600 refurbishing these rims ($150 apiece, cheapest, quality job, I can find), so they're going to stay as they are. :mad: :fs1: :dunno:

My dad cleaned one up for me while he was at work today (compared to a dirty one); as I was running around doing errands for my mom. Looks pretty good, but you can see the aluminum finish failing. The center caps (am probably going to have to pick up two more, as the other 2 were misplaced(?) when I got the rims) will hide most of the damage though.

Close up shot. It's a lot of little nicks all over the rims. There's a lot of dull spots everywhere too, but those are few and far between. Definitely could be worse though. Solid rims otherwise. :chillin:

Another shot of Dirty vs. Clean. What a difference an Acid wash will do.

During mid-wash. This stuff can be tricky sometimes; if you leave it on too long, it will ruin the finish on your rims. Luckily, I've been doing this kind of stuff for almost 2 years now, so it's no big deal to me. :brows:

Old man decided to come out and give me a hand. Just him doing what he does best. :thumbsup:

Shiny center cap. :eek:

10 Spokes; just the way they should be. yes.gif Should be getting these mounted by Monday. :brows: Hello Jeep wee.gif; goodbye Fords thumbsdown.gif.

The easyest solution besides the professional refinishing is to strip them clean using an Aircraft type paint remover and applying Duplicolor wheel coating. I did this on my XJ with the 10 spokes when i bought them and they still look excellent after 9+ months!

here's 2 links to pictures, as to not clog up your build thread ;)

those wheels will look great on your truck! :cheers:

I'd get one of those mothers polishers that go on a drill. I have one of them. Looks like a big pink ball.

Get some mothers aluminum polish and go to town with the drill.

They won't look perfect when done, but you will be amazed how it polishes them up.

Did that on the wifes TJ and the Ranger when I had it. Shocked how good they looked when I was done. Especially the TJ rims because they were over 12 years old and were looking bad. They looked almost new when done. You'll have to spend at least 15min to 1/2 hour on each rim.

Good Luck.

Well, my dad and I were talking about what to do while we were cleaning them up. He wanted to use some compound on them and hit all of them with a high-speed orbital buffer. I told him that for as much work as that would be, in the end, they'd still have all the flakes and everything.

Don't get me wrong, they look 10x better than when I first got them, and you really can't see any of the imperfections unless you're crouched down next to them. I think down the road I'll take CK45s advice and use the AC stripper + wheel coating. I originally had that idea, but didn't know if I wanted to do that.

Also, ComancheKid, that XJ is GORGEOUS :eek: :eek: :drool: :drool: :drool: That's my dream XJ man; seriously.

Omg wow I knew they looked amazing when I cleaned them up but wow :eek: am still very very sorry about the two missing center caps still very pissed about that :headpop: and sorry about this but I really didn't think this was you... Meaning since in a pm I didn't see your photo didn't think it was you if you know what I mean lol great meeting you the other day!!! Love the paint WAY better then the blue jamminz.gif

Brandon

So, in two weeks, I'll be making another P&P run. Just posting here as a note for myself so I don't forget what I need / want to pick up.

Funny how the Wants outweigh the Needs... :ack: rolleyes.gif

As always, check JY for 2.5s and pick whatever I can pick

---NEED---

Driver and Passenger 97+ Cabin Weatherstripping

97+ XJ D/P Turn signal Lamp Pigtails

Seat-belt Cover plate (4+)

Ashtray Clips (4+)

Driver and passenger Window weatherstripping plates (bottom of outside, at LEAST 2 more in good shape)

Window regulator channel (2, depending on difficulty of removal)

10 Spoke Center Caps (2+)

---WANT---

Smaller door speakers :shake:

New Door Panels with Map pockets

Butterfly Windows

OEM Shifter knob

Bed Liner - **Check dimensions against an MJ to post for others needing a suitable SWB bedliner**

Random Car Emblems

Radio Antennae (1)

Radio Antannae Input Cable (L Shaped)

XJ Overhead console

D/P Turn signal assemblies

Felt like doing a few nagging things today after I got off work :ack:

First on the list: Fix the driver's top taillight bulb. I didn't know you had to push down and screw in the bulb; those guys at AMC were clever.... :roll: :fool: Decided to put the original driver's light on backup duty; 25 years of steady service. :thumbsup: Replaced it for another one I got a year ago out at one of the Fruitland Park P&Ps. A bit shinier (thanks to an hour hand-wash), and in better shape overall. No cracks or chips either :bowdown:

While I was at it, I replaced both reverse light bulbs. Now I have a fully functional rear-end :rotfl2:

Then started in on the paint again. Angling the top stripe on the driver's fender.

Filling in the passenger rear of the bed with blue...

And finally finishing the black stripe down the bed / cab.

Still have to add 2 more coats all 'round to the stripings. I also went back and painted out some of those mishaps along the driver's side of the cabin (nice, even striping now :brows:) The Next coats can wait until tomorrow, probably. Gotta catch some Z's for work later. comanche.gif

Well, finally have the painting on the body done; and I'm extremely pleased. Decided to get some good pictures before the storms set in for this afternoon. Hopefully the rain stays away long enough for me to get some new paint put on that bumper ;) Along with cleaning up the passenger tail-light.

And, for comparison, here's some very old pictures. :yes: It's come a long way. comanche.gif

More storms decided to roll in today, so I got an early start on the bumper. Covered up that ugly Jeep butt with some newspaper. :rotfl2:

Spent 15 minutes sanding down 25 years of grime and caked on dirt.

First coat of primer.

Second coat.

First coat of glossy black :thumbsup:

Second coat. Got it in 15 minutes before the rain set in for the day. You can see the water beading on the bottom lip.

Everything buttoned up. Spent 10 minutes fixing some gerry-rigged wiring I did last year when I broke down on the side of the road one night. I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it did. :wrench:

Sexy truck :brows: I'll probably put a final top coat of the gloss black on it within the next few days. Looks almost like a new Fey bumper. ;) Not bad for a $10 job.

Gearing up for my early run to the P&Ps tomorrow morning. Hopefully the weather will cooperate as well.

Decided to work on some side projects today I've been putting off for a while, seeing as how it's been looking like this since about 12. Makes me wish I was in the country-side of OK, or the panhandle of TX chasing storms instead of living here in FL. :yes: comanche.gif

Started out yesterday morning heading to the Orlando LKQ. Definitely a warm and humid start to the day. :ack: Found a decent 2.8 Camaro to ogle for a bit. :yes:

Moved onto another part of the yard and found an old 60s Chevy PU. Gotta love the color :brows:

Miles of un-cramped engine room. Anybody know what engine this is? I didn't think Chevy used to make I6s.. :hmm:

After a bit of Jeep parts pulling from the first 2.5, we stopped for a bite to eat and then drove 50 miles to the Daytona LKQ. After a bit of walking around the GM side, we headed for the Chry-Co section. Found this little beaut. off to the side. :D

60s AWD Scout? Hmm... :dunno:

No clue as to what this engine is. Other than the fact it's a I4? Couldn't get a good picture of it.

And they said Jeep interiors were "spartan"... Good for the times though, I suppose. :thumbsup:

Found another 2.5 Cherokee. Had to go get a closer look...

Darn it. The first one was missing the fan shroud... :rant: Wouldn't have mattered a lick anyway; the bolts were just free turning, and the PO added a few extra ones so the rad wouldn't "Fall" or something like that. You gotta love Floridians. :yes:

One way to cure the "Wide Butt" MJ look, I suppose. Had a pretty good dark blue interior too. :eek: :(

Checked inside the TB and there were pieces of the Injector all inside. No idea how that happened... :mad: Thought about getting some PS parts, but I decided not to. Don't have the $ for a new Steering box, or new PS components. Old or not. :fs1: Retro Non-PS wins today. :chillin:

Big finds for today. Another aluminum VC and a decent Heat Shield. Got a good deal on the heat shield for only 10 clams, 20 for the VC.

Last decent finds for today, 242 / 231 4WD bezels. 4WD is getting there, slowly but surely. The rest of the stuff I picked up are just little things; emblems, buckles, 97+ cherokee sockets... and a few other things. Not a bad haul for $50 all together.

Finally finished the other door panel.

Now I finally have a 100% matching interior. biggthumpup.gif

Decided to clean up the old cassette tape holders I had sitting around.

After 3 coats of of flat black interior spray (same stuff I used on the door panels). Definitely helped give them a new look. Painted the holding clips too. :thumbsup:

Gave the backside of the bottom one another coat after I noticed the spotty coverage.

Cleaned up both of the old valve covers. The plastic one is going to be painted and put on a glass shelf inside the SGC I'm working on. Not sure what I'm going to do with the spare aluminum one as of right now though.