Project "Honcho" - The '87 MJ

Not too much to report here, aside from the fact that I'm pretty close to getting another job. Am doing some mild restoration landscaping for a friend's uncle on his rent-house over in the Astatula area at the moment. Going to be nice getting that $200+ paycheck when it's all done later this week. ;) :brows:

Decided to sit down a few days ago and make up a list of what I want to do with the truck. In no particular order, here it is. Should have been included in my first post, but like a dumb @$$, I didn't think about all this stuff.

---Wish List AKA Stuff To Buy---

Rear Slider - $160 ($190 after shipping)

New Exhaust (Manifold -> Muffler) - $120?

Floors Welded - ???

Headliner Repair Items (Fiberglass/Glue/Material) - $60

Color Matching Floormats - $10

Paint/Brushes - $60

Carpet - PROBABLY $30 (LKQ Carpet starts at $9.00)

Doner Cherokee/Comanche (with Dana 44/242 Transfercase) - $100-600

---Plans--- (As of 5/3/12, and not in any particular order)

Sand / paint the damn thing the cheap way.

Get the nasty floorboards welded and POR-15'ed.

Reupholster the headliner.

Get some matching floormats.

Buy a GOOD Torx socket set.

Fix the gauges.

Fix the horn.

Fix the e-brake cable.

Buy Splash Guards

Buy a carpet.

Clean / install the carpet.

Get some additional badges and install them. (Selec-Trac / Fuel Injection)

Buy chrome remote mirrors.

Buy chrome door handles.

Get passenger side key tumbler fixed or replaced.

Get new weatherstripping for the entire cab.

Replace weatherstripping on the exterior of the cab.

Buy a working Fuel Sending Unit from someone on CC.

Get new windshield.

Get new sockets for lights.

Get new parking lamp assemblies.

Remove / repaint the bumper.

Get a new rear bumper (a-la J10 style)

Get dents repaired / pulled out.

Find a good Dana 44.

Inspect and replace bad stuff on D44

Install a correctly geared Dana 44.

Install a 242 Transfer-Case.

Get driveshaft shortened.

Paint Properly.

Enjoy truck for another 20 years. :chillin: :D

---Things To Have On Hand--- (Spare Parts)

Antennae

Front quarter panels

Side view mirrors

Hood

Gauge bezel

Set of fender flares

Interior bulbs

Exterior Bulbs

License plate assembly lights / housings

Headlights

Winshield wipers

Gas filler door

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally decided to paint the old girl, seeing as I have no other achievable things to do at the moment. Parked her over at my friend's outdoor "Paint Booth" :shake: Better than sitting out in the sun I guess.

Naked Jeep. Well... almost naked, anyway. 25 years of dust under those letters. comanche.gif

Toolbox out, and everything thrown around the bed.

Used this stuff to get the SporTruck sticks off in no time flat. Well, that, and about 4 disposable razors. I thank my thumbs for their contributions. :roll:

The horror! No identity. :fs1:

Sanding. Lots of sanding.

And of course, one of those random, FL typhoons decided to blow through. Impeding our progress that night. I should have known better than to put a first coat of paint on with about 3000% humidity in the air, but I really didn't want to sand down the new rust on over half the truck. So... we applied it, and a few hours later, I drove home. Unfortunately, I woke up the next morning to this. This is after I wiped down most of the still standing paint. It didn't look half this good when I first saw it, believe me.

:headpop: :wall: No rain thank goodness the next day. Just a lot of wind, and lots of summertime heat. Was the perfect mix of weather for outdoor working. After a quick sanding and smoothing, got some new paint put on with the help of a buddy and his GF.

My truck isn't that "Canary", but my phone seems to think it is. It's more of a goldenrod (the actual color is "Afternoon Tea" :yes: :roll: ). Just about an inch for inch color copy of this. ;)

After working on and off on the truck for the past few days while juggling a contracting job, I decided to relax and play some classic Megaman II. Goddamn Dr. Wily stages. :fs1:

Took a page out of RockMJ's book. Updated the look of my dash bezel. Looks loads now than with that old dark grey striping.

Today, I got around to sanding / painting the roof and tailgate. No wind, and about a solid 95 degrees; celebrated afterwards with swimming in an ice cold pool. :chillin:

Should have the rest of the painting down by Sunday, with pics to come, no less. comanche.gif

Got everything as it should be. Took a bit longer than I thought, but that's alright. Still got a few things to do in the meantime. I've also discovered that my phone camera is a bugger that won't take pictures the way I want it to. :fs1:

Current interior. Needs a serious cleaning :ack: but otherwise looks pretty good.

Added this today. Off by only a slight bit, but that's fine. :fs1: After I clean up that paint residue, I'm ready to move to Oklahoma and chase some Twisters. ;) As if I already don't deal with enough "Twisters" as it is *coughcoughGFandherfriendscough* :yes: :roll:

At sunset tonight. Shiney :D

Now with badging!

Still waiting on my package from Spence, and to clean up the 2.5 emblem.

Going to be hauling around junk tomorrow. Shaping up to be a fun weekend for sure. comanche.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had too much progress. Still, nonetheless, here is some.

Got my ashtray problem figured out. There's a small brown tab on the back that apparently I broke off a year ago (no idea where it went though) that holds it in place on the dash. Replaced it with one I found in the junkyard, and BAM. Matching ashtray access!

Next thing was tackling the lighting. I haven't replaced the kicklights yet, but I'll have those back in soon... perhaps. These 2 domes are giving off plenty of light for me to see. Haven't decided yet what I'll do. :dunno:

Finished painting my truck; FINALLY. :mad: Wiper cowl. Hope I never have to take this apart again.

TJ the Triceratops keeping an ever vigilante eye out for wrongdoings going on. :yes:

Washing the old girl before her big day out. Felt good man. :chillin:

Not to double post, but here's 2 shots from the car show. There's a thread floating around with some other pictures, but these are the only 2 I like.

Notes to self:

---Plan on purchasing----

Advance Auto:

Complete Felpro gasket set - PN: FS 9196 PT-1

Rock Auto:

DORMAN Part # 674225 - Exhaust Manifold w/ shielding

MFR Part # CH2530101 - LH Parking Lamp Assembly

MFR Part # CH2531101 - RH Parking Lamp Assembly

DORMAN Part # 84716 - Ford Parking Lamp Pigtails

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't driven the Jeep in almost 2 weeks now. I swear I can see weeds growing through the tires from it just sitting there. Had to wait until I got paid yesterday to order a new IAC for it. Hopefully it should be in this afternoon. Getting real tired of seeing it just sit there getting dirty. :fs1:

I just read through your whole build, don't know how i have missed it all this time. Your truck has come a long way. Looking good.

I haven't been behind the wheel of a running MJ in over 2 years and it is killing me!

comanche.gif

looking good,

but not gonna lie that laredo is false advertising :thumbsup:

unless you have T/U as your 8th digit in your vin :shake:

Yeah, been thinking about that for a few days now. I think I might do away with the Laredo badges and figure out something else to replace them with.

Shame I don't have a true Laredo like you do. That thing s hella sweet :yes: :thumbsup:

Thinking about doing something like this; to replace the Laredo badges. Would definitely make my truck "one of a kind" :D

Thinking about possibly doing the design in:

Black with silver outline

Silver with black outline

All black

Hmm... think.gif Did it in 5 minutes, so that's why it looks like crap.Would have been nice to have the same color blue that's on my truck when I did this. rolleyes.gif

Figured that I'm probably going to remove the Laredo badges and instead just add the tornado where the badges used to be. Getting back to basics now; also, last thread name change. I swear. No more false advertising :shake: :rotfl2:

Progress for today; a few spots here and there to re-sand and touch up / fix. Have to get ready to go to work in a few hours. Should be able to finish the driver's side tomorrow afternoon and spend the following 2 days doing the other side. :D :brows:

Halfway done with the passenger side. Still have a bit of work to do. Been delayed due to the weather. :fs1:

On a sort-of related note; I remember being asked by a friend a few years ago, "What makes you want to do the things you do?" I didn't really think much of it at the time but I remembered it today. So I spent some time thinking on it, and a lot of it stems from when I was a kid. Saw Twister for the first time when I was 6; and it left a huge impression on me, not only the movie as a whole, but this scene in particular.

lzYXUVmt9So

After I saw it, I took an immediate interest in the weather; cars; and other things. Ever since I was little, I never thought I'd own that "Cool old yellow Jeep pickup" I saw in that movie. Well, I don't own that one, but what I have now is more than good enough for me. :thumbsup: Guess it shows you that you never know what life is going to give you, or what direction you'll take. Sometimes you just have to get in, buckle up, and go for a ride. :chillin:

I remember almost crying in school when that truck got destroyed!

What an awesome clip though!.....I can't wait to see your truck with all the striping done. any plans for a rollbar and lights? :thumbsup:

I know that feeling man! I was so mad when I first saw that truck got totaled. I might get a rollbar down the road, but I'll have to find someone willing to give one up first :brows:

I have been seriously thinking about making my own Dorothy though.... :brows: :thumbsup: :wrench:

;) Some teasers; probably going to be another day to finish off the final touches on the passenger side as well as the driver's. I'm probably going to also sand the bumper down and throw some paint on it too. I also found out that I'm going to be getting my headliner professionally re-upholstered in a week or so for free by a friend of a guy my dad works with. :banana:

Off to New Symerna beach tomorrow to relax for the day though. Gonna be a good day to do some driving comanche.gif

Did some freehand painting on the tailgate for the Jeep letters. Pretty surprised I can still do a half-decent job at stuff like that. :yes:

good luck with drive,

but!! before you do such a thing,

looks like you need another lugnut on your drivers rear :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's been missing since I've owned the truck. Made quite a few trips unscathed as it is; and I always re-torque my lugs down before I do any serious trips though.You have any recomendations on some replacements? I'll get around to replacing it one of these days... rolleyes.gif

Went out to the beach with my girl today. We had a blast, and not much sun-burns to show for it; but we both got a good tan. I like hers better though. :brows: ;) Should be able to get some work done tomorrow on the MJ. If not tomorrow, then maybe during this work week if I can manage it. Am probably going to extend the stripes another 8" or so in the back; I really don't like how they're hanging out around the fender flares.

On the road. 'Ol girl managed 65 quite comfortably all the way there. Ran at a very cool 205 with about 50 pounds of oil pressure. :thumbsup:

Miles of beachline; sun just shining away. A picture-esque day if I ever saw one.

Decided to do some camera work. I wish I had a better one though. Some poser shots in the sand.

Closeup shot. One of the better ones I've taken recently. Not sure what's up with my paint though.

Decided to head home before some bad storms rolled in. Ended up pouring for over half the ride home and a few hours into the night.

I think the best news of all today though is that I managed 115 miles roundtrip on just a 1/4 of a tank of gas. Filled up this morning to half a tank, so you can imagine my surprise with the little 4-Banger doing 60 75% of the way; other quarter was stop and go traffic in the city. Seems I get much better mileage doing 60-70 than just doing 55. If I did a consistant 60 MPH driving for an entire tank, I'd be getting damn near 500 miles on a 19 gallon tank. Pretty good, I'd say; I might even be able to give those Prius guys a run for their money. :brows: :yes: comanche.gif

Decided to try out the Duplicolor Vinyl paint. This was after the 2nd coat was halfway done drying. Am pleased with it so far, but I want to see if it's going to chip or flake. So, I'll hold off on the passenger side for a couple of days so I can put it through the FL heat / humidity test. Below is how it looks against a similar factory J10. One day I'll get a better camera; this phone is starting to make me mad. :mad: