Project "Honcho" - The '87 MJ

New wheel bearings, rotors, brake pads, and brake lines for the front!

No pictures though. Seriously serious work was occurring at the time (IE: didn't think to take pictures of the shiny new parts that cost me quite a pretty penny)  :thwak:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Edited the intro post to make things seem a bit more exciting and fresh. Guess I should throw out some news and updates, eh? Been pretty off the grid for the last few months, so I'm going to take a few steps back...

Going back to August of last year, I scraped enough to get into a local technical school near me by selling the 5.9 ZJ I had to my sister in the tail end of MN. Juggled going to work about 30 hours a week doing overnight work (retail sucks, don't ever be suckered into doing it; had enough of it from the almost 3 years doing it) from 10-7am and then going to school from 7am until around 3 in the afternoon. Rinse and repeat until around the middle of January, and you'll soon realize my life outside of these two things was pretty nonexistent. Especially when it came to doing anything to the MJ.  :fs2:

Less than two months into my escapades in the Auto Tech class, I managed to snag a nifty ASE certification (A5, for those interested). Tried to find a job in the automotive field, but soon found out that no one was willing to work with the schools cruddy "attendance policy" while I was going there. Gave up on finding a job for a little while and enjoyed life some, or at least the best I could. Did a little work on the MJ here and there, but not anything too exciting or note worthy. Everyone in the class always gawked and marveled whenever I brought my truck in to work on; managed to teach a number of them about pre-90s "fuel-injection" and how different the technology was in regards to what they were used to seeing growing up and what they currently drove.

Some got it, and others simply asked "So... what's the deal with that little carburetor there?"  :fool:

Took the time to repair the door strike on the driver's side; it was truly a wonderful day when I didn't have to worry about the wind catching my door and throwing it open anymore.

Did some front end work as well, and mostly piddled around on the 10+ cars we had around the school shop. We had two ZJ's that didn't run worth a lick, and by the time I left, I managed to get one running better than it had in years. The other was a casualty of a leaking gas tank, so it was really just a parts wagon and suspension demo for us, but I digress. Ended up leaving after half a semester due to lack of funds from not making enough at my retail job, so I quickly found another at an independent technician shop. Got hired on for more money, and guaranteed 40+ hours a week, so it was a no-brainer in my case.

That was about a month ago, so it's been a productive month since then. Gotten to do some interesting work, but still not considered a "fully-fledged technician" yet (hired on as a GST IE: General Service Tech, going to transfer into a Technician position later this year hopefully) so I'm stuck doing the menial things. Now that I'm making good money (read: better money than I was previously) I can get nice things for the MJ again, and dedicate some time since I have a shop environment to do repairs in. :yes:

Bought a cool 242 transfercase from Muddfoot back in Jan; thanks for cutting me a good deal on it man :cheers: So now I have something to look forward to tinkering around on when I'm bored at home. Found out the truck suffers from the same fate most 2.5's have, to the tune of one of the studded exhaust mounts broke, and another bolt head sheared off at some point in the last few years. The wet, cold FL winter has taken it's toll this year for sure.. Going to replace the hardware at some point this summer, and hopefully keep this thing going for a while longer.

Took some cool pictures in the spare time at the shop and at home. A pretty typical scene for most of this winter.

On the last trip to the P&P, got myself one of these bad boys. Was maroon colored, and surprisingly in good shape considering the rest of the XJ I pulled it from was in shambles. A bit of black vinyl paint later...

And it got itself a new home; replacing the old AMC Blue mini console I had.

Current project I've been working on in my spare time... Making the truck look a little more "authentic". You can see the after work in the above picture at the shop. Still have some more painting to do, but the lack of spacing between the striping and the fender flares started to bother me. 

All in all, not a bad start to the new year. Even though it's almost March already...  :dunno:  :yes:

• 2 months later...

Been going through a string of bad luck it seems.

Father had a stroke several weeks ago, luckily some co workers found him at his house and got him to the hospital while I was 40 miles away at a work-related training seminar. Had the right side of his body paralized, but is now regaining the use of it and doing well. Been trying to move to a new apartment, and most of my free time is going towards the XJ I bought a while back.

Re-did the paintjob on my truck, IE: the stripes to match the J10 scheme a bit more. Going to be getting some tires soon for both trucks. Just trying to keep up with everything as best I can right now. :dunno:

Been going through a string of bad luck it seems.

Father had a stroke several weeks ago, luckily some co workers found him at his house and got him to the hospital while I was 40 miles away at a work-related training seminar. Had the right side of his body paralized, but is now regaining the use of it and doing well. Been trying to move to a new apartment, and most of my free time is going towards the XJ I bought a while back.

Re-did the paintjob on my truck, IE: the stripes to match the J10 scheme a bit more. Going to be getting some tires soon for both trucks. Just trying to keep up with everything as best I can right now. :dunno:

Sorry to hear about that. Hoping for a good recovery man.

• 9 months later...

The AMC Dream is dead and gone folks.  :fs2:

Okay, so not really, but it still cost me a chrome bumper and fender. 

12717935_1704576933115973_43514335562034

12742586_1704576963115970_71479397354132

Received a citation for "reckless driving" due to another driver crossing over two lanes to get into a side street from a U-turn lane. Amidst the squealing of brakes all around (besides my own), the three car lengths I had behind the person I hit wasn't enough to stop the brick on wheels. Power-slid into another gentleman driving an HHR due to lack of new car amenities and the like. Luckily no one was injured, and the damages to the other car consisted of a few scratches and a scuff from my 5 MPH bumper guards.

Will put up another long post in the other goings on in the life of the '87 here tonight or tomorrow. Been doing a bit of upkeep on the old girl otherwise. Still runs and drives well; no structural damage aside from the tip of the driver side frame rail being pushed in slightly. Got lucky on this one.

Been giving a lot of thought to doing the dual diaphragm booster upgrade on the '87 since it happened, I will say... 

When you say you power-slid into the HHR... That would indicate that you were on the gas and kicking the tail out. It would also get you a reckless driving citation if you used those words to the cop, regardless of who pulled out in front of the other.

If on the other hand all that happened was you stomped on the brake, locked all the wheels and slid sideways, I would say that's a very fightable ticket.

Glad to hear you're alright, though.

• 1 year later...

Over a full year later; as it currently stands. New meats, new parts to replace what got bumped in the minor fender bender all that time ago. Snagged a cool Classic tag as well a few months back.

Just an ad I whipped up in some spare time a few months back as well. Wanted to capture the classic AMC vibe somewhat. 

As he currently stands, still truckin' and still kickin'. Going under the knife here in a month or so for a new front end freshen up with suspension and gearbox related parts. Still the best 4 letter word on wheels by far. :yes:

• 2 years later...

May seem weird, but it is me, back again from the "near" dead. Been a crazy few years, and I seem to have forgotten my old email and can't access my old account for reasons. So, I decided to make a new one. Hopefully I'll stick around longer this time, and not drop off of the face of the earth again. Last time I got wind of CC news, it was the passing of Jim and Don, so that put a damper on my mood when I learned of it.

Still have the '87, although it's seeing far less use these days. Had a good time having it as a DD for nearly a decade, but I finally got another truck to take it's place, so now it's basically on permanent backup duty to myself and my fiance. Still hoarding parts for it and all the other cars in the corral, although I no longer have the 92 Cherokee, or my 84 Trans Am (first lost in a head on collision accident, the other sold to make room during a move to a new house). Spent a long number of years now it seems honing my craft working in different shops, and even worked for Big Blue Oval for a little over a year. Although now I'm working currently for Firestone as one of the "lead" mechanics of my shop, so there's that at least.

Will post some pictures of the fleet here soon, maybe by the weekend if the weather holds up and I get around to washing them; my trucks are in a pitiable state, if you were to look at them from the street. Still running great though, irregardless. :comanche:

As of currently, the MJ has:

1. Had at least 6 replacement starters put in (over 10 years)
  2. Had 4 new radiators (within the last 4 years, cheap Chinesium failed parts), new water pump, fan shroud, (bi-yearly tune up) thermostat, every radiator / heater hose replaced
  3. Output shaft seal done (secondary inner-output seal leaking however), along with a few other seals.
  4. Yearly tune ups, fuel filters, etc etc done.

What the MJ currently needs:

1. New shocks all the way around (leaking and cupping tires)
  2. Clutch return line (rubber failing and becoming brittle, still holding good pressure however)
  3. Front bearings (repack)
  4. Rear differential pinion seal (started going out when I was driving 50+ miles a day working for Ford)
  5. Rear drums and hardware (STILL driving on the original drums I bought it with 10 years ago!)
  6. Master cylinder / brake booster (booster is working as is, master cylinder has a leak at the rear cup seal, not going into the booster or down the firewall)

Probably some other things as well, but those are mainly the pressing matters. So all in all, a decent amount of stuff to do. :crazy:

Also, after nearly a decade of owning this thing, and being a member for well over 5, I FINALLY took Pete's advice and PULLED MY RUBBER FLOORING OUT to see how bad the floorpans are. Well, I should say were, because there was basically nothing left at this point. Cut out about all of the bad, and slathered anti-rust Ospho onto them, and then covered what was there with bedliner before I laid some sheeting down as a "temporary" fix until I take this thing off the road for good and redo it top to bottom. Word of wisdom there is to PULL YOU CARPET when you get your truck(s), because PETE IS RIGHT! So if you read people screeching about this issue, take it from me, they're speaking from experience themselves. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Zenobian_84 said:

May seem weird, but it is me, back again from the "near" dead. Been a crazy few years, and I seem to have forgotten my old email and can't access my old account for reasons. So, I decided to make a new one. Hopefully I'll stick around longer this time, and not drop off of the face of the earth again. Last time I got wind of CC news, it was the passing of Jim and Don, so that put a damper on my mood when I learned of it.

Still have the '87, although it's seeing far less use these days. Had a good time having it as a DD for nearly a decade, but I finally got another truck to take it's place, so now it's basically on permanent backup duty to myself and my fiance. Still hoarding parts for it and all the other cars in the corral, although I no longer have the 92 Cherokee, or my 84 Trans Am (first lost in a head on collision accident, the other sold to make room during a move to a new house). Spent a long number of years now it seems honing my craft working in different shops, and even worked for Big Blue Oval for a little over a year. Although now I'm working currently for Firestone as one of the "lead" mechanics of my shop, so there's that at least.

Will post some pictures of the fleet here soon, maybe by the weekend if the weather holds up and I get around to washing them; my trucks are in a pitiable state, if you were to look at them from the street. Still running great though, irregardless. :comanche:

As of currently, the MJ has:

1. Had at least 6 replacement starters put in (over 10 years)
  2. Had 4 new radiators (within the last 4 years, cheap Chinesium failed parts), new water pump, fan shroud, (bi-yearly tune up) thermostat, every radiator / heater hose replaced
  3. Output shaft seal done (secondary inner-output seal leaking however), along with a few other seals.
  4. Yearly tune ups, fuel filters, etc etc done.

What the MJ currently needs:

1. New shocks all the way around (leaking and cupping tires)
  2. Clutch return line (rubber failing and becoming brittle, still holding good pressure however)
  3. Front bearings (repack)
  4. Rear differential pinion seal (started going out when I was driving 50+ miles a day working for Ford)
  5. Rear drums and hardware (STILL driving on the original drums I bought it with 10 years ago!)
  6. Master cylinder / brake booster (booster is working as is, master cylinder has a leak at the rear cup seal, not going into the booster or down the firewall)

Probably some other things as well, but those are mainly the pressing matters. So all in all, a decent amount of stuff to do. :crazy:

Also, after nearly a decade of owning this thing, and being a member for well over 5, I FINALLY took Pete's advice and PULLED MY RUBBER FLOORING OUT to see how bad the floorpans are. Well, I should say were, because there was basically nothing left at this point. Cut out about all of the bad, and slathered anti-rust Ospho onto them, and then covered what was there with bedliner before I laid some sheeting down as a "temporary" fix until I take this thing off the road for good and redo it top to bottom. Word of wisdom there is to PULL YOU CARPET when you get your truck(s), because PETE IS RIGHT! So if you read people screeching about this issue, take it from me, they're speaking from experience themselves. :laugh:

Glad to see you back and well ! I always really enjoyed reading about your project !!!!!:L:

It was this build that inspired me to do a few details to Little Red. Notably the AMC back window sticker and the AMC Jeep badges below the vents. I loved reading this build and reminds me of my time building mine. 

I will have to go a reread it sometime soon now that it has resurfaced. 

13 hours ago, Fernando87mj said:

Glad to see you back and well ! I always really enjoyed reading about your project !!!!!:L:

13 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Welcome back...again.:))

4 hours ago, Minuit said:

:beerchug:

Thanks guys, it feels good to be back. Didn't mean to be gone after the last time I resurfaced, but life, and mostly work robbed me of a social life and most of my free time.

3 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

It was this build that inspired me to do a few details to Little Red. Notably the AMC back window sticker and the AMC Jeep badges below the vents. I loved reading this build and reminds me of my time building mine. 

I will have to go a reread it sometime soon now that it has resurfaced. 

I actually got the idea for the B pillar badges from a few J10's I saw in the junkyard once. Seeing as I don't have 4x4 at the moment, I figured it would be a good fit for them. Even though some purists put the 4x4 badges at the end of the bed.

Welcome back, not far away if you ever get over to Lake Mary, drop me a line. I don't make it over to Lake County as often as I used to but will let you know so we can park the mjs together in a parking lot and see how many people stop. 

Buck.

On 12/20/2019 at 8:11 PM, buxmj said:

Welcome back, not far away if you ever get over to Lake Mary, drop me a line. I don't make it over to Lake County as often as I used to but will let you know so we can park the mjs together in a parking lot and see how many people stop. 

Buck.

:beerchug:   :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Back from the land of the living. Proof that I still have this old thing. Gotta take it up to the shop here in the next few days and re-wire the rear license lights. Shoddy wiring from almost ten years ago by yours truly, lol. Back when I was a lot greener with a wrench, besides. Might get the audio in my video struck out, but you can just listen to this while you watch the video if you feel so inclined. It'll have the same effect. Text below is the link to the video.

If I could figure out how to embed the file, I would, so sorry about that, chaps.