Project MJ for 2011 Ultimate Adventure - Update for '12 Trip

this ride height? just me, but I would want that thing slammed as low as I could get it. Looks cool though, and I know how much work that is in an extremely short amount of time!

stock39.jpg

Actually, if I remember correctly when that pic was taken, that was setting about 3" over our intended ride height. I can tell you getting 14" Fox 2.5 coilovers under the hood and keeping this thing low is no easy task. Also, keep in mind those are 40" tires. They need to have somewhere to go under suspension compression...we can only go so low before we don't have any up travel left.

Just dropped the MJ off at M and M Body Shop in Sturgis, MI this morning. Cary has already cranked out the fenders and tailgate for us. He has the doors, hood and bedsides ready for color today. Cab and misc will be tomorrow so we can pick it up Sunday afternoon. We got the stroker plumbed and running at about 8 last night before pushing it into the trailer. We had to battle a couple of electrical gremlins and a fuel rail issue but that was really it. The Golen 4.6L cranked right over and was ready to run. We have most of the exhaust done with our Pacesetter header and Dynomax cat-back (modified of course). This thing has really come together over the last week.

I am not going to lie, we have a ton of work left to do but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Most of the custom parts are done and really it is just a matter of putting it all together. We are all really looking forward to seeing this thing in action. Carter and Dave are two very lucky guys to be rolling into their first UA with such an amazing vehicle. There is not a single inch of this vehicle that we haven't touch in one form or another. This is by far the most custom vehicle we have ever done. My crew of engineers and R&D technicians have done an awesome job and really put forth the extra time and effort we needed to get the project done. Hats off to all of them.

I plan to be in the office a little today to catch up on some work and rest my feet and back. If you have any questions about the project let me know.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably showing my age here but I have no idea what scene hair is. I am guessing you are talking about Ryan (with the long black hair). He might not look the part but he is my best R&D technician. Super smart kid that does a great job for us in many areas.

You guys should rock a ComancheClub.com banner on this thing. Not that we had much involvement but it would help others out there know this little slice of the web is out there.

I can't wait to see how the MJ does on the UA trip. I know it is all huss huss, but have they hinted around to what trails you will be running this year?

We really only know the general area we will be in. Details usually come in the couple days before and even then Rick likes to keep certain things a surprise.

If someone is making ComancheClub stickers then we might be able to squeeze a small one on somewhere. Can't do it for UA but maybe after for the other shows/events. This will end up at SEMA for the last show of the year and probably back at Moab for EJS in 2012.

....day 34, hour about 15 for us.... As he looks at his imaginary watch!! :rotf: I thought I was the only person that referanced their imaginary wrist watch.....and I've never worn a watch in my life! Seriously, I do it all the time.

Great progress guys, can't wait to see the outcome!

Maybe I missed it and sorry if i did, but where is the the best place to see coverage of the UA?

Looking good. I like the idea of a CC sticker on this truck, even if after the UA jamminz.gif

I have one question about the current set up. It doesn't look the like rear drive shaft slip joint has much room to compress, maybe a 1/2"? Although it was hard to tell how the suspension was sitting when that shot was taken.

....day 34, hour about 15 for us.... As he looks at his imaginary watch!! :rotf: I thought I was the only person that referanced their imaginary wrist watch.....and I've never worn a watch in my life! Seriously, I do it all the time.

Great progress guys, can't wait to see the outcome!

Maybe I missed it and sorry if i did, but where is the the best place to see coverage of the UA?

The UA is put on by Peterson's 4wheel and offroad magazine. They will have coverage on their website blog as the week progress (first week of July) and in the magazine near the beginning of September I believe. Closer to Oct-Nov they will have a DVD available covering the entire trip. We will have these for sale on our website.

Looking good. I like the idea of a CC sticker on this truck, even if after the UA jamminz.gif

I have one question about the current set up. It doesn't look the like rear drive shaft slip joint has much room to compress, maybe a 1/2"? Although it was hard to tell how the suspension was sitting when that shot was taken.

We have the suspension links more/less bottomed out at that point. The wheel based will be slightly longer for the final setup which will give us plenty of compression room. Basically that is in the worst case scenerio. FYI...these JE Reel Shaft are amazing. They make a pretty heavy duty product. Can't wait to get them spinning.

Just got the MJ back from paint last night. It is definately going to stick out and turn some heads. Should have it together late today/early tomorrow for some pics.

Its so, green!

Looks like it is coming together very nicely, even though I don't like bright green paint. This truck will certainly be a one of a kind and stand out in the crowd.

When all is said and done, could you guys do an approximate cost of the truck? As if a customer walked into your store with their truck and asked you guys to do all of the same work? I feel as if that number would be astronomical. :yes:

Hey guys,

Be sure to pick up a spare TPS for the truck. I have hood vents in my hood as well (not as big as yours) and I have lost my TPS do to water twice. (car wash..once. lol) With those holes directly over it I think you have a good chance of having the same thing happen.

Just throwing it out there.

LOVE THE TRUCK!!!!!!

Cheers, Jason

EDIT....Looks like your not actually cutting them out.

just sick! love the (hidden?) winch mount and that huge @#$%in thing i assume is the rear bumper is awsome as hell. not a fan of the paint choice either but as stated above it will be a stand out for sure

I like the color. You guys have to remember this MJ is being built for the UA. Fred Perry owns a shop not to far from me and he stated that when he ran his white TJ for years he barely made the magazine, the first year he built his yellow LJ he was all over the magazine. That's what pushed him to build his MJ. You gotta be different if you want coverage.

I was out braking this thing in at midnight last night and again at 6 this morning. We are all burning the candle at both ends here. Runs and drives like a dream. Still a lot of loose ends to tie up before it goes on the trailer tonight and heads out for the 10+ hour drive to the start point of the 2011 Ultimate Adventure.

• 2 weeks later...