Project 1999MJ

i think what 86fubar was trying to say is it's a street truck that's wheel-able? it's sure damned nice...not a fan of the bobbed tail at all but it looks good enough in that respect. the updated interior and newer front end takes it away from it's off-roading roots in my opinion.

not to say that's a problem...my mj is a street truck only/mild fun offroad truck. and i want the updated interior in it and newer front end. but i KNOW that's all i will use it for. that's why i'm building a second one...i'm getting RHD like i want but that one is gonna still be an offroad truck only basically.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT THE FOCK OVER :mad:

never thought id say this (specialy since i layed my , at the time brandnew 05 rubicon unlimited on its side twice ! wheelin with only 2k on the ticker the day i got done detailing it ) but don't put 39 0n that its to nice that should get a nice set of 33s or the like and a nice paint job and be a sweet DD / trail tamer not a glorified show truck with 22in lift and big stupid tires (I'm going to hell for that) that gets pavement pounding duties if its lucky. why don't u just get it over with and put some spinners on it/body kit including a wing and some neon lights under it and call it done.

if I'm wrong great then post the picks pleas.!

What pictures would you like to see? U are wrong

Where do you see a glorified show truck? :nuts: This is a 100% off road truck. As for 22" and spinners...I don't think U have anyidea what your taking about. The truck has 8" of lift and lots of trimming. Keeping COG low and making the truck wide.

I'm also I'm very proud of you for rolling your new Rubicon

I'm pretty sure that guy is nuts.

The truck is sweet, and what he needs to understand is that some of us can wheel and not take damage.

Sure, a dent here and the is going to happen, but it's more than possible to wheel hard and not destroy a vehicle.

you have any side-view pictures? or pictures of the finished interior? i'd sure like to see those...

and pics from front and behind of those axles. that thing sure is impressive...

It's a little tough to get a full side shot since I have it cramed in the garage and it's not really movable as of yet but I cn get a shot from the rear for ya. The interrior is more or less complete other then some kind of floor covering and door panels. I'll post a couple more pictures over the weekend.

I kind of understand where everyone is comming from with this. It is true... I Most people wouldn't bother with updating the interrior and changing the front clip if they were just going to beat on it. My intention was to just do a 4 or 5 inch lift and a set of 33's and was going to let the old lady drive it as her DD but as usual I got carried away. Got a good deal on some parts and here ir is now. I'm not scared of getting a couple dents or floping it on it's side. These things happen and then ya fix them

agreed. plus the interior is way badass so you don't have to worry, i don't think it's a problem...just keep the mud off the dash lol.

how involved was the interior swap? i mean, did the wiring just lay in how it should etc...? i know you had to swap some tabs to make it mount up. reason i ask is i have a line on a burnt out 98 xj that has a good interior harness and all the interior pieces i could need for cheap. oh, and the real kicker, is the a/c+heater box the same as the comanche's, and do the controls work with it? or did you swap those out too?

agreed. plus the interior is way badass so you don't have to worry, i don't think it's a problem...just keep the mud off the dash lol.

how involved was the interior swap? i mean, did the wiring just lay in how it should etc...? i know you had to swap some tabs to make it mount up. reason i ask is i have a line on a burnt out 98 xj that has a good interior harness and all the interior pieces i could need for cheap. oh, and the real kicker, is the a/c+heater box the same as the comanche's, and do the controls work with it? or did you swap those out too?

I'm not sure if you can just plug the newer interrior harness into the older engine harness. Might have to do a little custom work there. When I did this I swaped everything from the 99.,engine harness,interrior harness heater/AC box.. The works. But the never Ac/& heater box mounts in the same location and uses the same mounting holes as the older box.

i know it won't connect to the engine harness...the guy got me the engine harness plugin piece, as the rest of the engine harness is shot. that's easy wiring as I have all the diagrams i could possibly need. yay for alldatapro.com!

anyways, does the heaterbox look the same? or is it different? i am asking cause if i can get away without having to pay for that 1 more part...

thanks!

well I'm glad I'm wrong 1999MJ , I didnt know there was a reason behind ur madness , iv just seen to many people do some realy random things that ruin the look/functionality of their rig , like most of the rigs i see around hear that piss me off/ thats what i get fer livin in californe . so wile i dig my foot out of my mouth pleas accept my apolage and keep up the good work :thumbsup:

No where where it's legal. There's a couple spots near me that they don't bother you. I'm trying to get this done for a trip to Moab and we do most of our wheelin at Paragon which may be no longer. Going to try Rouch Creek this year also

Have any updated pics?

This thing is awesome!!!

I have been toying with the idea of the late model front clip, but the bed corners to match is just freakin' brilliant! jamminz.gif

:cheers:

Moab is AWESOME!!! Just don't make the same mistake I did and only budget 2 days of wheeling. Next time I go I'll be there for a week. :D

I'm taking 3 weeks off of work for this trip and may never come back!!

i think i would have a problem doing that dash conversion won't i?

my speedo cable is a cable and in 91 didnt they change the comanche (at least i dunno about the cherokee) to a fully electronic dash? how did you / would i get around that?

you'd have to use the ENTIRE harness out of a newer xj...the dashes don't just bolt in and hook up to the original wiring. and you'd have to have the speed sensor for your transmission, or just swap in the tranny and such with it's speed sensor. i believe you have the peugot correct?

you'd have to use the ENTIRE harness out of a newer xj...the dashes don't just bolt in and hook up to the original wiring. and you'd have to have the speed sensor for your transmission, or just swap in the tranny and such with it's speed sensor. i believe you have the peugot correct?

i think the speed sensor is in the t-case still on the newer ones isnt it? i know the cable-style goes into the t-case.

nope i have a TH350 with a stage 2 shift kit

speedo drives are all in the t-case on xj's and mj's. unless it's 2wd. then it's on the tailshaft housing. the reason that I suggested switching the tranny is that for example, I cannot use the electronic speedo on my ax5 and it's t-case because the speedo drive is different.

however, all you would have to switch for your manche to put it in if you have the TH350 would be the speedo drive (speed sensor), and still the entire harness from the new-school xj.

Moab is AWESOME!!! Just don't make the same mistake I did and only budget 2 days of wheeling. Next time I go I'll be there for a week. :D

I'm taking 3 weeks off of work for this trip and may never come back!!

I envy you.

I've talked the wife into MOAB 08 for 3 weeks.

We'll see how much stuff I can break.

Let me go ahead and ask since it appears nobody else has throughout this thread. Just want to make sure nobody's asked already...

Did you have any issues with the passenger-side air bag when you were taking the dash out of the donor? I wouldn't figure installation to be too bad, since it is the newer electrical style and it will NOT go off without a battery (whereas the drivers side of a pre-97 XJ could/would), but I was still wondering. No issues with the actual hardware/wiring?